What Country Does Each Kingdom Represent Historically?

I.Know.Nothing

The North - Anglo-Saxons, Russia, Scotland

The Riverlands - Belgium, Netherlands

The Vale - Switzerland, Austria.

The Iron Islands - Retarded pirates

The Westerlands - England, Wales

The Reach - France

Dorne - Moorish Spain, Italy, Greece

The Stormlands - Germany

Braavos - Venice

Free Cities - Italian City States

Golden Company - Swiss Pikemen

Valyria - Ancient Rome

Slaver's Bay - Stereotypical slavery obsessive country

Qarth - Constantinople

Asshai - Cathay

First Men - Celts, Britons

Andals - Vandals, Anglo-Saxons

Rhoynar - Norman invasion of Italy.

I tend to be a bit more universal just because i don't live in Great Brittain so i can't really testify anything about that area.

Wildlings for me seem to be quite a bit like Sampi or Finnish tribes from 7th century or so who fought against the proto swedes and norwegians in scandinavia who i feel represent the North the best of the bunch but they like everyone else seem like a bunch of cultures ranging from saxons and angles to the before mentioned norse.

The pare alleles between numenor and valyria have always bugged me and made me appreciate the Dunedin less.

Otherwise same old

Iron islands: Viking raiders ( poor lands and martial culture)

North: England not as chivalry oriented as the rest of westeros and threatened by northern raiders.

Westerlands: HRE/ Germany blonde militaristic and belligerent organized by a clever leader Bismarck= LANn the clever

River lands:low countries floods and invasions for all!

Vale: Switzerland/ cathar lords holed up in their impregnable mountain fortresses

Storm lands:Ireland stormy good warriors but seemingly always divided

Vale : Valois France golden fleur de lys= golden rose weak leaders and strong chivalry focused lords also home of learning and culture in westeros

Dorne: pre reconquista Spain

Free cities Mediterranean trade hubs

Yo ti: Far East

Asshai : Constantinople

The Iron Islands is Ireland. "Vikings" isn't a country.

Ireland is much too fertile, and never had a raiding culture (on the contrary, they were the ones being raided).

"Vikings" isn't a country, but then again the Norse (which is the correct cultural term) were barely starting to organize into kingdoms (at least in the early "Viking" period, the raids did go on for some 400 years), so it's a bit hazy what to say. I suppose the most correct would be to say Scandinavia.

On the other hand, the relation between Ironborn and the Norse is of the hollywood kind, so it's a bad comparison all together.

Ireland is much too fertile, and never had a raiding culture (on the contrary, they were the ones being raided).

"Vikings" isn't a country, but then again the Norse (which is the correct cultural term) were barely starting to organize into kingdoms (at least in the early "Viking" period, the raids did go on for some 400 years), so it's a bit hazy what to say. I suppose the most correct would be to say Scandinavia.

On the other hand, the relation between Ironborn and the Norse is of the hollywood kind, so it's a bad comparison all together.

I meant mostly the land. Yes it was much too fertile but I seem to remember the Iron Islands being very cliffy and very sharp terrain.

I meant mostly the land. Yes it was much too fertile but I seem to remember the Iron Islands being very cliffy and very sharp terrain.

If you ask me, the Iron Islands sound as if you took the "area" of Denmark and put the actual geography of Norway on there, i.e lots of islands but with thin soil and lots of mountains. Then again, Norway has plenty of safe harbours and the Iron Islands is described as having few of those.

I don't think you'll find a 1:1 relation with any country, GRRM takes inspiration and creates his very own geography, after all.

Westeros to me is a mixture of Scandinavia, Britain, France & Spain. The free cities, Spain, Greece, Italy, Egypt & Turkey. Valyria is a Roman version of Italy. The Doraki seem to be Mongolian. Qarth is like Bagdad from the 8th to 13th centuries. Slavers bay in a mix between Egypt, Tunisia, Palestine/Israel & Turkey. In all the worlds of Ice & Fire, to me anyway represent a mix of all countries in and around those as well, but I see more similarities to the countries mentioned.

But anyone can read any country into ASOIF because its what you make of it.

Westeros to me is a mixture of Scandinavia, Britain, France & Spain. The free cities, Spain, Greece, Italy, Egypt & Turkey. Valyria is a Roman version of Italy. The Doraki seem to be Mongolian. Qarth is like Bagdad from the 8th to 13th centuries. Slavers bay in a mix between Egypt, Tunisia, Palestine/Israel & Turkey. In all the worlds of Ice & Fire, to me anyway represent a mix of all countries in and around those as well, but I see more similarities to the countries mentioned.

But anyone can read any country into ASOIF because its what you make of it.

It is known. The bastard is wise man

Warning: apc_store(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php on line 72

Actually they did - the Scoti was the name given by the Romans to raiding pirates and slavers from Ireland. They later went on to invade northern Britain ....

And, of course, most famously, on one slaving raid into northern Britain (somewhere in Ystrad Clud, probably) they captured a young Briton name of Patrick. Saint to be ....

And the Vikings did later themselves establish settlements in Ireland - they founded Dublin.

But I agree, the Iron Isles is more closely akin to the 'traditional' Scandinavian Vikings -

Warning: apc_store(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php on line 72

Actually they did - the Scoti was the name given by the Romans to raiding pirates and slavers from Ireland. They later went on to invade northern Britain ....

And, of course, most famously, on one slaving raid into northern Britain (somewhere in Ystrad Clud, probably) they captured a young Briton name of Patrick. Saint to be ....

And the Vikings did later themselves establish settlements in Ireland - they founded Dublin.

But I agree, the Iron Isles is more closely akin to the 'traditional' view of Scandinavian Vikings

Well, yes, technically the Irish raided their neighbours (much like everyone at that period) but they never raided far off or had the sort of seafaring technology depicted in the books. That's clearly inspired by the Norse Vikings, though of course the Old Way is very different from Norse culture.

I've been thinking about this a long time. I think I have the perfect answers now.

North: Germany

Westerlands: England

Stormlands: Italy

Iron Islands: Scandinavia (mainly Denmark)

Reach: France

Riverlands: Netherlands

Vale: Switzerland

Crownlands: Belgium

Dorne: Spain

Valyria: Atlantis

Essos: Eurasia

Sothoryos: Africa

North-Russia, Beyond-the-Wall-Siberia, Skagos-Orkney, Iron Islands-Scandinavia, Riverlands-Poland, Vale-Austria, The Sisters-Corsica, Westerlands-England, Crownlands-Belgium, Reach-France, Stormlands-Germany, Tarth-Ireland, Dorne-Spain, Arbor-Portugal, Braavos-Amsterdam, Pentos-Genoa, Myr-Ragusa, Tyrosh-Florence, Lys-Naples, Volanthis-Constantinople, Selhorys-Nicea, Norvos-Innsbruck, Qohor-Krakow, Meereen-Babylon, Yunkai-Tyre, Astapor-Cairo, Qarth-Carthage, Valyiria-Rome, Dothraki sea-Asian steppe.

Iron Islands - Vikings (Raping/Pillaging etc)

Wildlings - Scots/Celts (A wall built to keep them out)

Lannisters - English (Tywin/Edward I obvious for me)

Bravos - Venice (with the Colossus of Rhodes standing guard)

Vale - Central Europe (Mountains and big on the chivalric culture)

North - Northern England (Cold but honourable people)

Reach - France (big land, lots of farms. LOTS of wine)

Dorne - Spanish/Moors (Hot blooded with a hatred of their neighbours)

Dothraki - Mongolians (Ghengis Khan's mob reincarnated)

Valyria - Roman Empire

Archived