A nagging doubt regarding the direwolves

kissdbyfire

Nymeria and Arya had a similar experience. They both had to leave their former shell of security and had to learn to find a way to survive. They both fleed from death and killed to stay alive or just killed in bloodthirst.
Sure, but you cannot reduce what Arya experienced to just that. She has intelligence and a breadth of experience that a wolf, may she be dire, has not. Being human, she reacts differently to some stimuli, and besides, wolf and girl had very different experiences, too, most notably in the army-leading, not being alone, not being blind, not fleeing, not cowering, not lying, not dissembling department, among others.

Well, anyway, to go back to the previous topic, the KoM can cut people from their past by the simple virtue of giving them education, a job, a goal, security and direction. They can keep their memories and connections (in fact, they should... how else benefit from their recruits' experience if with each face they lose what they were?), as long as they can do their job and hide them. Not unrelated, I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was a kid.

Sure, but you cannot reduce what Arya experienced to just that. She has intelligence and a breadth of experience that a wolf, may she be dire, has not. Being human, she reacts differently to some stimuli, and besides, wolf and girl had very different experiences, too, most notably in the army-leading, not being alone, not being blind, not fleeing, not cowering, not lying, not dissembling department, among others.

No, but this is a thread about direwolves.

No, but this is a thread about direwolves.
I could have sworn it had veered towards the "whatever a direwolf does, the character does" direction, which is mistaken and cannot be discussed without bringing up what the character does without the wolf.

I could have sworn it had veered towards the "whatever a direwolf does, the character does" direction, which is mistaken and cannot be discussed without bringing up what the character does without the wolf.

Okay, but to me it's veering in a direction where we're trying to separate the characters from the direwolves and in some cases not even discussing the direwolves.

Archived