Gendry?

The_Maltese_Wolf

Hey all you aSoIaF lovers out there! Just wanted to see what the general community think Gendry's role is in the whole thing. Considering the amount of time (or rather, space) he got in the first couple of books, it seems obvious to me that GRRM has big(ish) plans for him - but where does he fit in? Will he somehow become King of the Seven Kingdoms? Will he re-acquaint himself with Arya at some point or something completely different? Despite reading all five books I still consider myself quite the n00b but personally I pondered the thought of him becoming part of Sansa's story (her knight in shining armor riding in - with a bull's helm) and uniting the Starks and Baratheon's like Robert and Lyanna were meant to do. I dont know when, I dont know how but thats just a theory I thought about - any other concepts?

I've come to think that even having Gendry lends to him having some part in forging Lightbringer. At times I have even thought him Azor Ahai, after all he is the only one who can do any kind of smithing that has even been seen through a consecutive POV. Yet, they throw so many characters as possibly being Azor Ahai/PtWP that I don't know what to think anymore.

I don't really see him coming back into the story in any prominent role unless he has a part with Brienne and Jaime escaping if they do. It is likely he already served his purpose in his travels with Arya and has been cut loose.

Yes, but we saw him in the chapter with Brienne fighting Biter in AFFC, well after Arya.

You took that way to literally, I know he was in Feast. I don't think he will have any role going forward unless he leaves with Jaime and Brienne, and I don't know how likely that is. His purpose was probably served in the Arya chapters, he might pop up again but seriously, some characters have to get dropped out when you keep adding more. There is no convienent POV for him to be in unless he stays with one of those, and now that Jaime and Brienne are together again, I don't know that she will be a POV anymore either. I hope not at least, as we see some of these people joining up, it is a great chance for GRRM to lose some of the overlap and get some progress with the storyline. I also hope we never see him again; Robert's bastards just aren't an interesting thread to me. You could just as easily of titled this thread what will happen to Maya Stone.

Um, who gives a shit about Gendry anymore? Really. He was only slightly (not at all) interesting due to being in Arya's POVs. Boring, quiet, annoyingly stubborn, aimed for mediocrity, are just a few descriptors that come to mind for that character, in general. Let him go. I did, years ago.

Given Martin's evasive answer to the question of whether or not Gendry knows how to reforge Valyrian steel, I think it's possible he could have a role in making Lightbringer, putting Ice back together, or working Valyrian steel for some other important plot purpose.

Um, who gives a shit about Gendry anymore? Really. He was only slightly (not at all) interesting due to being in Arya's POVs. Boring, quiet, annoyingly stubborn, aimed for mediocrity, are just a few descriptors that come to mind for that character, in general. Let him go. I did, years ago.

Well, he isn;t just in the book to hang out with Arya and forge nothing useful at all in his lifetime, he's had enough "screen" time to not serve no purpose whatsoever. Why not kill him off already or simply loose him in ACoK?

Future Appearances from Several Characters

[Willl Hot Pie, Gendry, Nymeria, Rickon and Shaggy be seen again or mentioned in A Dance with Dragons, or later in the series?]

Later in the series? Yes, to all of them.

In DANCE? Yes to some, no to others.

& if he's going to do a Robert/Lyanna do over it makes more sense for it to be Arya because she is the one who is compared to her. He has dropped hints but he might not go down that road.

& if he's going to do a Robert/Lyanna do over it makes more sense for it to be Arya because she is the one who is compared to her. He has dropped hints but he might not go down that road.

I thought about an Arya + Gendry get-together but I think their ages are too mismatched to make that possible (although GRRM said he wanted time to pass much quicker through the series which could well mean he wanted Arya to grow up and possibly hook up with Gendry at some point once shes older and come of age). I think though that Sansa is more Gendry's age (not sure exactly though) and I believe that now Sansa and her future husband are next in-line as Lords of Winterfell which would mean that technically if they were to get married it would mean that Gendry would link both Baratheon and Stark families as well as have the possible support of Stannis (after his future is revealed) since technically he is Robert Baratheon's true son and heir and therefore in the eyes of Stannis would be the true heir to the Iron Throne and could see him join forces with the Starks considering that Stannis is well known as a very lawful man and believes in tradition.

Obviously this is all theoretical but I get an inkling feeling that at some point Baratheon and Stark shall unite.

I thought about an Arya + Gendry get-together but I think their ages are too mismatched to make that possible (although GRRM said he wanted time to pass much quicker through the series which could well mean he wanted Arya to grow up and possibly hook up with Gendry at some point once shes older and come of age). I think though that Sansa is more Gendry's age (not sure exactly though) and I believe that now Sansa and her future husband are next in-line as Lords of Winterfell which would mean that technically if they were to get married it would mean that Gendry would link both Baratheon and Stark families as well as have the possible support of Stannis (after his future is revealed) since technically he is Robert Baratheon's true son and heir and therefore in the eyes of Stannis would be the true heir to the Iron Throne and could see him join forces with the Starks considering that Stannis is well known as a very lawful man and believes in tradition.

Obviously this is all theoretical but I get an inkling feeling that at some point Baratheon and Stark shall unite.

Gendry is heir to nothing. He's still a bastard unless some king legitimizes him and that would have to be down the road (Tommen won't end up doing it).

Gendry is Robb's age I think. They would be about 6 years apart. Robert and Lyanna were 5 years apart so it would be similar.

Rickon is the heir so he would have to marry Shireen (who I'm sure will die).

I think it highly likely that Gendry will have some role in forging Vayrian steel, but probably won't really re-enter the story until the last book. He almost certainly knows how given his natural skill at the forge and his apprenticeship to Tobho Mott, who is almost certainly the 'one' Westerosi smith with the knowledge.

Gendry is heir to nothing. He's still a bastard unless some king legitimizes him and that would have to be down the road (Tommen won't end up doing it).

Maybe Stannis will ... but I don't think so. It would not be logical because a legitimate son of Robert has a stronger right to the Baratheon line than Stannis' daughter. And Gendry should better stay away from Stannis and Melisandre because of his Kings blood.

Hmm interesting thoughts... kind of slipped my mind that Gendry would need to be legitimized (ala Jon as a Stark). Another question - do we know who Gendry's mother is?

Just what Gendry tells Ned: died when Gendry was little, yellow hair, she used to sing to him, she worked in an alehouse.

Archived