Gendry?

The_Maltese_Wolf

She get's slapped when she does so and says thank you. She's being trained to consciously control her facial expressions.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say she'll be stopping her lip chewing habits. About time too. She's done it so much it's a wonder she has any lip left.

Two thoughts:

Gendry is already a "knight" ( a la Dondarrion) and is, well, knightly; as in, a tall, dark & handsome byronic hero with the look of a warrior. In a society based around reciprocal (sometimes...;.) personal vows/obligations & steeped in superstition/ignorance/superficiality, looking like a king is a big part of being a king, as Cersei's walk & King's Landing's grudge wrt Tyrion both demonstrate. While he wasn't educated and is unlikely to end up as a major lord/player, he's definitely someone that the BwB would follow even now. Besides, if Davos got a lordship (an older smuggler versus an infamous warrior-prince or at worst a ruthless mercenary/bandit leader) then there's really no reason why Gendry couldn't climb a bit higher, either- especially in war, when a lot of the old blood lines die out/lose favor, and warlords are more open to dealing with "lowborn scum." His scumminess might even help him; he doesn't have the reputation/experience/resources/ambitions to simply cut ties and run.

If nothing else, Gendry is going to lead the BwB &/or reforge Ice, either of which could land him a job with the nobility, whether as a bodyguard a la Bronn or a minor lord as with Davos.

I think the easiest way to "recognize" Arya would be by Needle. As a blacksmith and having seen that smallish sword during such a difficult time it would be logical to jump to the conclusion that he would know the sword on sight and make the connection.

He seems to have found a new "Arya" in the orphans he's taking care of in the Inn. The lead girl seems to be a commoner version of Arya. I don't think there needs to be a love interest for them to still be connected and mutually interested in their relative successes/failures.

That said, it'll take some serious plot movement before Gendry and Arya can cross paths.

I think the easiest way to "recognize" Arya would be by Needle. As a blacksmith and having seen that smallish sword during such a difficult time it would be logical to jump to the conclusion that he would know the sword on sight and make the connection.
Short swords are common, but it's true that if he saw Mikken's mark on it, there is no mistake to make.

On the other hand, if he sees that blade, it means Arya showed it to him, so she would have already told him anyway.

Has Arya even thought about Gendry at all since leaving him?

ETA: Errant Bard, the future Mrs. Jon Snow Besides Sam thread has devolved into Sansa/Jon shipping, if you haven't seen it before.

Has Arya even thought about Gendry at all since leaving him?

ETA: Errant Bard, the future Mrs. Jon Snow Besides Sam thread has devolved into Sansa/Jon shipping, if you haven't seen it before.

haha. There's such a thing as Sansa/Jon shippers?

Well, he isn;t just in the book to hang out with Arya and forge nothing useful at all in his lifetime, he's had enough "screen" time to not serve no purpose whatsoever. Why not kill him off already or simply loose him in ACoK?

I'm kind of inclined to agree that Gendry has some significance to the plot. He's a minor character but had enough screen time to land in the TV show (surprised me they had him feature in TWO scenes, and in only the FIRST season.)

Of course, in the book, there are many many scenes with Gendry. He is protective of Arya, at the Peach (whorehouse), when he claims she's his sister to save her from a drunken lecher, and another instance when they're flirting/tickle-fight -- seems kinda obvious setup for an eventual romance (when Arya's older, obviousy). (Just like Meera/Bran?)

It does seem like GRRM won't have enough story time to outline what happens to every single mentioned character ever, but he usually doesn't leave them hanging without at least dropping a hint about their fate (I'm thinking of Bronn, later being mentioned as Lord Stokeworth in a Cersei (?) POV...so we figure out what happens to him, though it doesn't happen in front of our eyes. Gendry will at least get something like this).

I think if Arya lives, she'll either be unmarried altogether, or Gendry is her match. Can't see her with anybody else.

He's the valonquar I believe.

I've always thought it was Jaime, but I like this theory that it would be one of Robert's bastards aka brothers of the royal children. Except isn't valonqar supposed to be little brother/sibling? Gendry would be older than all of Cersei's children, wouldn't he? Wah wah.

I think if Arya lives, she'll either be unmarried altogether, or Gendry is her match. Can't see her with anybody else.
What about someone she hasn't met yet? I hear that most women get romantically involved with people they had not met before being sexually mature.

What about someone she hasn't met yet? I hear that most women get romantically involved with people they had not met before being sexually mature.

I seriously doubt Arya's time with Gendry can be compared to being raised with him as a sibling (ie, I doubt the Westermark Effect could have affected them, since they weren't together more than a year, TOPS - probably closer to 6 months http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westermarck_effect

Besides, what dramatic payoff do we get if Arya marries random noble dude bannerman #76?

i hope he reforges Ice

As do I, though he might need help, considering it'd be his first longsword (as far as we know, at least). We do have evidence that his former Master Armorer has the skill to work Valyrian Steel. He reforges Ice for Tywin in ASoS (preeettty sure, though it might've been late ACoK)....(GRRRRRR soo angry during that scene).

I seriously doubt Arya's time with Gendry can be compared to being raised with him as a sibling

[...]

Besides, what dramatic payoff do we get if Arya marries random noble dude bannerman #76?

I'm not suggesting they saw each others as sibling.

We get as much payoff as if, as you yourself suggested, she stays unattached?

I'm just pointing that reducing Arya's choice for the future to just Gendry, just because he's the only guy she ever met in the story is not congruent with a normal character development. Not that it matters, as Arya will not be adult when the books end, so any idea of tying everyone in marriage would seem to be moot.

Besides, Gendry was with Arya for two books, I don't see why, if GRRM wanted, he couldn't have another guy be developed to be close to her in the upcoming ones. Hell, he can do it in, like, ten pages in The Sworn Sword.

As do I, though he might need help, considering it'd be his first longsword (as far as we know, at least). We do have evidence that his former Master Armorer has the skill to work Valyrian Steel. He reforges Ice for Tywin in ASoS (preeettty sure, though it might've been late ACoK)....(GRRRRRR soo angry during that scene).

Yes, it was Tobho Mott who reforged Ice into two swords, but as I mentioned before Mott grumbled that it had been difficult because Valyrian steel "remembered" how it was originally forged and wanted to revert to that form. So presumably sticking the two bits back together is going to be a whole lot easier and within Gendry's capability.

I'm not suggesting they saw each others as sibling.

We get as much payoff as if, as you yourself suggested, she stays unattached?

I'm just pointing that reducing Arya's choice for the future to just Gendry, just because he's the only guy she ever met in the story is not congruent with a normal character development. Not that it matters, as Arya will not be adult when the books end, so any idea of tying everyone in marriage would seem to be moot.

Besides, Gendry was with Arya for two books, I don't see why, if GRRM wanted, he couldn't have another guy be developed to be close to her in the upcoming ones. Hell, he can do it in, like, ten pages in The Sworn Sword.

That makes sense. Sorry if I misread your post. I am quite tired!

I think her remaining unattached has significance, if she continues as an assassin. It means she is keeping her independence (and any "claims") and ownership of herself. But I fear it would also mean she will lose her Stark identity.

If Arya is going to end up with anybody, I hope GRRM introduces him, at least a bit, in the upcoming books. He went far enough to slightly develop her (briefly) betrothed Freyling - Elmar Frey, squire of Roose Bolton, famously terrified of leeches.

Another poster mentioned that the epilogue might just be Bran greendreaming, and us seeing the fates of all the characters from 5, 10, 20 years in the "future" timeline of where we are now in the story. I can see that scenario occurring, which is why I think GRRM will put closure on longterm events like what happens with Rickon (doubt we'll last hear of him as a 6-7 year old child lord of Winterfell...that would be weird, and unsatisfying).

I also don't see why the pointless borderline "flirty" dynamic between Arya an Gendry (the "take out your cock then" convo was hilarious; he risked his life escaping Harrenhall at her behest; and only left her after she was revealed to be a highborn "Lady" and probably out of his league as a bastard.

Yet still, he is protective of her after knowing; at the tavern, claiming she's his sister, then later they go find the smithy tools and have a tickle-fight. Their age difference is miniscule by Westerosi standards (11ish to his 16ish or so?).

Arya also has thoughts that suggest she liked Gendry. She wanted him (and Hot Pie) to be "her pack". When Gendry decides to join the BwB, she thinks, "You could have made swords for my brother in Riverrun" but says something like "Whateva I don't care!" childish and snooty to hide her true feelings.

Come on! Even Jon Snow, her beloved brother, doesn't recall tickle-fights with Arya...just calls her "little sister".

All I'm sayin is, there was SOMETHING going on there besides simple platonic fondness. I'd go so far as to say that it's more blatant than Sansa/Sandor flirting (since they don't flirt really, though they both have feelings toward each other, I think). Arya is just too young to really understand her feelings, and Gendry realizes he has no chance with a highborn lady, no matter how free-spirited - he feels he has nowhere else to go (she never told him he could make swords at Riverrun, why would he presume?)/

Yes, it was Tobho Mott who reforged Ice into two swords, but as I mentioned before Mott grumbled that it had been difficult because Valyrian steel "remembered" how it was originally forged and wanted to revert to that form. So presumably sticking the two bits back together is going to be a whole lot easier and within Gendry's capability.

Point taken. Hopefully Gendry has gotten some experience, too, helping the BwB with their weapons, perhaps he's even been forging/reforging longswords for them. I hope! That kid needs to practice! :-)

All I'm sayin is, there was SOMETHING going on there besides simple platonic fondness.
Considering what I remember doing when I was a kid, I will say that this something can be platonic fondness. Complicity, friendship, whatever, they like each others, but this is not romantic, not in the meaning it has for adults, and this is not destiny.

But even if it was romantic, the teenager that liked you when you were ten, and that you liked then, he is not destined to be your boyfriend 6 years later by virtue of this past, fleeting affection. She is ten, then.

Anyway, can't anyone like a ten year old girl without suggestions that he wants to stick it in her?

Archived