Gendry?

The_Maltese_Wolf

I hope we will see more about Gendry. He has been given a lot of information throughout the books. If he is not the No. 1 Daft Character in ASOIAF he must have put two and two together by now. When he left for the wall with Yoren the queens men wanted him found. And in case he forgot that he met Brienne, who asked rather telling questions about if Gendry had seen King Robert. And Gendry did see King Robert riding by.

Reforging Ice would be nice. Oathkeeper and two persons who know the true origin of the sword are not too far away.

But why would Jaime or Brienne see the necessity of re-forging Ice?

Stoneheart doesn't know this story and for her to claim and/or reforge Oathkeeper somebody has to tell her that the sword she ordered Brienne to kill Jaime with is part of her late husbands sword.

I thought the same. His attitudes reflect more of Stannis . Physically he is Robert and maybe mentally too ( not too bright but able and he could be good in battle) Perhaps he'll get a chance to prove himself and we will see a religious battle in the Riverlands. Wouldn't that be ironic. Two religions fighting for followers while the Others come poring down the King's Road.

I'd like to see that and it would give Gendry a bigger role, which I think GRRM does have in store for him. I'd rather see him with the BwB than Stannis. I'm afraid the RB will try to burn him.

Reforging Lightbringer from Oakkeeper & Widows' Wail that we're once Ice seems very appropriate to me and the fact that Robert's son would re-make Ned's sword is nice.

Anyone else have a feeling that in personality he takes more after Stannis than Robert?

Perhaps in the way that he's not the most jovial of individuals. Other than that, I really don't think he takes after either much.

well he is Robert's son.. he may find that out and may be given the name "baratheon"

I tend to go with this, as I saw it on my first read and I just finished the second read and tend to think the ale house part is something he believes because he was told that line since a child.

I just don't think he's a non entity.

I'm hoping that Gendry and Arya will end up together somehow. Reading the books, I always felt there was some kind of connection between the two (maybe a bit sick, since she is like 10 or something)... I just hope she'll get back to Westeros soon! Maybe as a super assassin after her learning at the black and white temple:-P

Btw: am I one of the few who suspects Gendry to be the legitimate heir of Cersie and King Robert??

I thought the connection between Gendry and Arya was that he was almost the only person she met between KL and tBwB that she didn't hate/fear (Mummers, Bolton) or think was an utter moron (Hot Pie, Lommy).

Although I think its perfectly likely that at some point somebody is going to realise that he is Robert's bastard I don't think that is going to lead to him becoming Robert's heir. As a bastard without a noble upbringing and education the only way he is going to come into power is if someone decides it is to their advantange to support him, making him a puppet ruler. After all the recent chaos I don't see anybody wanting the extra hassle, and I'm not sure there is anything to win by restoring Gendry to Baraetheon power when it might be possible to make a power grab instead.

I thought the connection between Gendry and Arya was that he was almost the only person she met between KL and tBwB that she didn't hate/fear (Mummers, Bolton) or think was an utter moron (Hot Pie, Lommy).

I disagree here, she kind of liked crying girl, Jaquen and Yoren without a doubt. But he was only one close to her in age. Besides, she doesn't think Hot Pie is a moron, she thinks he is Hot Pie, which tells it all :)

• 3 weeks later...

May the 7 save us all, this is genius!!

It's revealed very early on in the series that Cersei was pregnant with Robert's baby back in the day but the baby dies. She tells this to Catelyn, while visiting her in Bran's room in Winterfell.

What you're saying is that Gendry is that child and he never died. I'm assuming Robert had no idea the baby survived. I also vaguely remember Cersei mentioning in one of the books that Robert was never there for the birth of his children, yet Jaime always was. This leads me to believe that if Cersei is crazy enough to do something like you're suggesting, then Robert would've never known.

Perhaps Jamie saved the baby from his sister and paid a whore take it. Something that seems possible since Jamie is on his way to that group as we speak.

Perhaps Jamie saved the baby from his sister and paid a whore take it. Something that seems possible since Jamie is on his way to that group as we speak.

I like Gendry and hope he will have some role in the big picture but don't think he is Cersei's son.

Though there is talk in the novels of Cersei once being pregnant by Robert the scene where Old Gods be Good referred to was an added scripted scene in the TV show.

In the novels Cersei says Jaime found her a woman who took care of the pregnancy. I'd have to check for the exact quote.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to point out that Gendry does have Targaryen blood, and pretty recent.

I didn't notice this in the books, but supposedly Robert's father Steffon is son of some Baratheon and Rhaelle Targaryen (sister of Jahaerys).

See Robert's Family Tree.

This adds support to some people's theory that Gendry could be Azor Ahai reborn, but personally I doubt it.

Just adding fuel to the fire. :devil:

I just want to point out that Gendry does have Targaryen blood, and pretty recent.

I didn't notice this in the books, but supposedly Robert's father Steffon is son of some Baratheon and Rhaelle Targaryen (sister of Jahaerys).

See Robert's Family Tree.

Aemon mentions it, among others, I'm sure it's discussed elsewhere in relation to Robert's claim on the throne.

Hmm ok conspiracy theory cap - on.

Ok so Gendry was obviously too young to remember his mother properly but of that info that he has of his mother, which could be easily changed and which is a little harder to manipulate?

• Died when he was little - cannot be taken as truth because obviously Gendry cant know whether his mother is truly dead or not as a child.
  • Worked in an alehouse - can easily be invented to hide the truth.

Things harder to manipulate -

• She used to sing to him - Any woman can sing to her child, but the most intriguing is...
  • Yellow Hair - You cant cheat your genes (see Joffrey) so if Gendry was told that his mother had black hair and over time his hair lightened out (which is possible) then he'd know it wasnt true.

Ok so considering Im in conspiracy theory mode, think about this - what are the odds that Gendry is the child of Robert and CERSEI (yes, u read right) and not a common yellow haired girl. This could lead Gendry to indeed be the legitimate son of Robert and the true heir to the crown and would indeed put him right up there as an important piece of the Iron Throne puzzle if the rest of the world were to find out. It would go along with the fact that Cersei sent guards to attack and kill Gendry when he, Arya and Yoren were heading to the Wall - why would she want Gendry killed if he is only a bastard son and has no legitimate right to the throne? The only thing that might not click is why Robert wouldnt want to have his legitimate son around - Cersei I could understand as she loves Jaime but how could she manage to get Robert to abandon his true born first son?

I know its sounds crazy and is probably just a ridiculous conspiracy theory but must admit it would make Gendry interesting again if it were to be true. Thoughts?

The only problem with this is, WHY would Cersei allow him to be fostered out, instead of keeping him for brownie points with Robert? Why would Robert, if Cersei's eldest had actually been a boy with Robert's coloring, have ever allowed the infant to leave the palace? This calls for some very advanced sleight of hand on the part of some midwife or servant. Most importantly, Cersei herself doesn't recall ever giving birth before Joffrey. She remembers drinking moon tea whenever she thought she was pregnant by Robert, and having her periods return.

I think if she'd brought a child to term before Joff, she'd recall the pregnancy and the birth, but in her POV's it's made pretty clear that Joff, Myrcella, and Tommen are the only live births she's had.The story she tells Cat in the TV show about a boy who died of a fever, isn't really in the book, is it? It's just something she says to throw Cat off her trail and make her sympathetic so she won't suspect Cersei of having a part in Bran's accident. She's trying to plant the idea in Cat's head that Cersei is a devotee of the Mother who as such would never try to kill a child. It backfires because the timing is so inappropriate Cat can't help but be a little suspicious.

Archived