Gendry?

The_Maltese_Wolf

If he forges Lightbringer then he's A A.

This is what I think as well, in that if he forges Lightbringer he will wield it and be AA. Daenerys fit the description for AA very well with her dragons, in my opinion, but I am far from purely betting on any specific character at this point. Recently I have started to increasingly consider that Gendry seems to have potentially met much of the criteria.

He's not overly bright, or especially devious, or anything really.

He's just too ordinary to amount to much, imo.

He does seem ordinary and not overly bright, except I remember that he's the only one who figured Arya's real gender before she exposed herself. And he's the only one among Robert's bastards who seem to have a lot of screen time, imo. There might be something there after all.

He is a bastard and baseborn (he thinks), she is a highborn lady and about to be ransomed and rejoin the upper class. Once she gets to Riverrun his inability to have any relationship ( lame word, but there it is) with her will be even more obvious than when they were travelling together as fugitives. Arya might think that Gendry could make swords for Robb, but Gendry knows that would only cement his lowly status. Where before he was happy to stay in the forge and not worry about who was in charge, he now wants to join a band of do-gooders rather than join the forge at Riverrun.

This is, of course, how I read it. And that's the pleasure of the books and this board- we can all have different opinions and the pleasure of discussing them.

That's actually what I thought, too, since he kept making derisive comments about Arya and Edric Dayne being highborn. One of those instances was particularly telling since he was a little drunk on wine.

There's obviously chemistry between these characters (Arya and Gendry), despite the ages, but I don't think anything will come of it. For one thing, boys seem to be the last thing on Arya's mind. And...I just can't picture Arya settling with anybody. xD There's interest, for sure, but maybe not enough to change anything.

I kinda thought the times she thought things like the princess in the song should have killed the people who killed her knight illustrated that she has no problem with the idea (she never thinks "ew boys are icky who needs a knight yuck") but instead has a more modern take on gender roles (kill 'em all for killing your sweetie!)

G.r.r.m. Wouldn't just waste a great person like gendry.i've been a fan Sent's 1998 &i wait for ever book and after everthing thing is said and done mr. martin will shock us at the end with ever person in his story.come on now we didnt see ned,kevin,or jon getting killed.( ok jon's not dead)I see gendry doing spmething grand

And marring arya

He does seem ordinary and not overly bright, except I remember that he's the only one who figured Arya's real gender before she exposed herself. And he's the only one among Robert's bastards who seem to have a lot of screen time

I don't think he will be AA, but he will have a role to play, after all he seems to be one of the few in the BwB who has kept some sense.

And marring arya

It's because the chemistry between these characters are so obvious that makes me almost sure they will never end up together. (Also, Arya and marriage? 'nuff said). GRRM does have that pattern that nobody gets married to anyone of their choice and everyone is miserable in their marriages. Ned lucked out with Catelyn because they eventually did love each other, but I don't remember any other couple being that fortunate. (Well, okay, Dany and Drogo..and look how that turned out).

I'm kinda buying the theory that Gendry will be the smith of Lightbringer now, after reading all this. xD

GRRM does have that pattern that nobody gets married to anyone of their choice and everyone is miserable in their marriages.
A tad of an exaggeration, there. It's true that marriages of nobles would be arranged and carry a lot of politics with them, but happy marriages are actually not that rare if we look at those normally held. (Tyrion/Sansa, Tyrek/Emersande are not normal marriages) Garlan and his wife, Ned and Cat, Tywin and Joanna, Tytos and his wife, Robb and Jeyne, Edmure and Roslin, Hoster and Minisa, Alys and the Thenn, Lady Dustin and the Dustin guy, Lynesse and her Pentoshi guy, Davos and his wife, Genna and Emmon, Doran and his wife... We also see some fire with Ygritte, Asha or Oberyn. Not every union finishes well (well, realistically, all unions end either by separation or death anyway), but a lot of people are happy in their marriage, especially when not at war.

Not that I think that liking each other as preteens means you're destined to be together, star crossed, after you grow out of being a child. I find the idea creepy, even.

I like Gendry aswell as the next guy but I'm not sure what his place in the books will be. One of the hardest to figure out.

He is a Blacksmith and could forge a sword. He was trained by the only Smith who we know could reforge Valyrien Steel. (ICE)

But for the people who think Gendry will forge Lightbringer I'm not to sure!

First reason why... Lightbringer is not made of Valyrian Steel

Next reason... Lightbringer has already been made why would it have to be remade. Where did the first Lightbringer go???

Dawn sword of house Dayne, thousands of years old and not of Valyrian Steel.

Lightbringer is Dawn!!!

Just think about what Dawn means? It means when the sun first comes out.

The sun coming out could also be said as Lightbringer.

@KnowFaceMan - Where did Lightbringer go? -Nowhere :P

It is hiding in plain sight, only that people call it the Nights Watch. :D It wouldn't make sense imho if it was an actual sword, because you can only kill so many ememies at a time with one sword, how useful would that be in a fight against an army of Others? [/off topic]

That is why I don't think Gendry will play a role in forging valyrian steel or even Lightbringer in future books. If Martin would revisit every character that he introduced with more than one sentence, the series would never end.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy and would love it if he and Arya met again, they were just too funny and cute together (no shipping, just observing!), but I fear that it is highly unlikely. *sadface*

I'd put a coin on another bet.

Gendry could be the man who killed Jaime Lannister, in the woods of the Brotherood Without Banners.

That would give him a name as "the Bull" (for his helm) first, and maybe later the leadership of the Brotherhood when it becomes known (how?) that he's Robert's bastard. Or at least a military leading role in Catelyn's brotherhood, gaining the place over Thoros because Gendry does not understan the difference between defending the king's peace and avenging Catelyn. The final passage between Dondarrion's and Catelyn's brotherhood. He will become harsher and harsher, and less kind everytime we see him taking a decision. He could end up showing his father's stubborness and not seing a lot of things that happen around him, getting the worse of him being a bit dull when he wants.

And he will have a role in the throne-game ending, possibly siding with Stannis, or having Stannis siding with the brotherhood in his policy of helping-the-realm-to-gain-the-crown. The brotherhood could be liked by Daeneris too, expecially if she is not told that Gendry is the spawn of the usurper. Or any puppeteer could quite easy manipulate him into following him. Varys could pull him towards Aegon, Littlefinger towards what his best interests. Late in the books, if Littlefinger's plot armour falls, he could end up in the brotherood "Saruman's style".

I hope for a brighter destiny for Gendry. I like the guy.

But I find that if it was him to kill "my" Jaime the scene could be sad enough for me. I feel that this would be necessarily be accompained to a change in his portrait that will push him in the liking of the more militarily avengeful readers and make the romantic ones feel sad for him too.

Bye!

before I read the books, when I was watching the series as soon as I saw Gendry and Arya meet at the end I had this inkling that they would become King and Queen. Though not even for L+R's parallel as I didn't really know anything about them. It just seemed to me that with the way Ned got Rob to sign he meant to make Gendry king. And I can't help thinking that somehow even though he's dead Ned will get that wish. And because Arya and Gendry were riding off together, I thought one day they would kindle a romance. When he joined the King's Men without a King, I hoped that once they found out he was Robert's kid he would be raised to their king and the underestimated power of the Brotherhood might take King's Landing. I made sense in my head at the time... but then as I read on and all this stuff with Dany and Robb I thought, okay Gendry has no chance. But this mention of Gendry being AA and the Rob+Lyanna v.2 has me intrigued. It's very plausable and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought there was something there :D

I am surprised no one has speculated that Gendry will be the one who overturns Stoneheart's reign and releases Jaime or even Brienne from the trap. There were hints about Thoros and Gendry's disaffection to Stoneheart's rule. Gendry was the one who saved Brienne from Biter. He was grateful for her heroic effort to save the children in crossroad inn. He is becoming an adult now and I think he is ready to lead Bwb back towards the path of protecting the innocents instead of exercising vengeance.

The arc of Stoneheart's story is pretty much done unlike those of Jaime's. There won't be mother-daughter reunion. It is hard to foresee Walder Frey dies in front of unCat. (Too traditional fantasy).

Gendry's storyline, in contrast, has a lot more potential. He can play a sizable role in Jaime, Cercei, Bronn, Littlefinger, or even Aegon's tale as he is situated in Riverlands with good local support for Bwb. All it needs is a dramatic event (Jaime/ Brienne/Stoneheart) for Gendry to step out of the shadow.

The HBO series has no relevance at all to the books; they have added and taken away stuff. I have watched it and they are trying to make Cersei much more likable in the series than GRRM did in the books, which I prefer. I think he wrote her way too irrationally. In the books, a pregnancy carried to term before Joffrey has never been mentioned and since she aborted the child she did conceive from him is a good sign that it doesn't exist. GRRM coming back with I hid my pregnancy, I thought birthing his legitimate heir and disposing of him, or whatever is just going to look foolish.

Last I checked, Edric Storm who actually did have a noble mother is still alive and well liked by Stannis. If any of Robert's bastards is going to get the stamp of legitimacy, it is going to be him not Gendry.

Unless Edric Storm dies. In which case Stannis or someone might actually be forced to go looking for another one. Gendry would be a good choice, I'll bet.

• 3 weeks later...

Call me crazy.. I remember Cersei talking about how she lost her first child, or one of her children. I don't think Gendry is a bastard. I think his parents are Robert Baratheon and Cersei Lannister and Cersei didn't want a child from Robert and paid a large amount of money to keep the midwives quiet and get rid of the baby with brown hair. Gendry = heir to the Iron Throne

Call me crazy.. I remember Cersei talking about how she lost her first child, or one of her children. I don't think Gendry is a bastard. I think his parents are Robert Baratheon and Cersei Lannister and Cersei didn't want a child from Robert and paid a large amount of money to keep the midwives quiet and get rid of the baby with brown hair. Gendry = heir to the Iron Throne

That's in the TV show, in the books Cersei only has three children whose father is Jaime. In the books she says that Robert got her pregnant once but she got rid of the baby before it was born.

Archived