Gendry?

The_Maltese_Wolf

I don't think Cersei trying to kill Gendry really points to anything about him being legit, Cersei had all of Roberts bastards killed that she could get ahold of knowing they aren't legit. She just didn't want anyone around that might show proof that Baratheon kids have black hair since that is apparently a trait all Roberts kids shared and none of hers do. If someone had managed to round up all or even half of Roberts bastards and present them it would really make people start wondering when all these black haired kids are standing here looking just like young Robert, and here are Cersei's three kids all blonde and looking like Jaime.

Cersei is such a bitch too I wouldn't put it past her to despise Robert so much that killing him once isn't enough, so she kills his bastards too and imagines every one of them is Robert himself. She would probably culminate in burning one of them alive in a suit of plate armor just like the mad king.

It's interesting to note that Gendry is a smith, and now (presumably) is with Jamie and Brienne, who also have the 2 swords that were made when Ice was split up. Under the eye of UnCat...

No, we aren’t sure where Widow’s Wail is. It should be with Tommen, but the lad may have given it to his favorite Knight of the Flowers. In any case, there’s no reason to think it’s with the crew you’ve just named.

Yet.

The big ploy would be to pass Gendry off as Renly Baratheon. It wouldn't be that difficult, and there would be many small folk and regular soldiers who would believe it, because he was seen at The Battle of the Blackwater.

I agree with the posters who say that Gendry's significance is spent.

He was interesting with Arya and Ned and thats about it. His character is only good for minor appearances now.

I was hoping there would be something more for him but its obvious when he joined Beric he would not make the cut to become a major character.

Maybe he will have another appearance later but im just not interested anymore.

Gendry is a nice, normal guy in a world full of scumsucking sons-a-bitches. It's hard to NOT like him.

Agreed. And while I don't think he has any grand destiny to become a bastard Baratheon king or anything... we have seen him enough times that I think he will have a role to play as part of Jaime and Brienne's storyline. Brienne recognizes who he is, or who he might be, and I don't think GrrM just throws things in like that for no reason.

We see that Gendry is brave, loyal, and has become a true believer in the Red God...

Not sure why Lady Stark was re-animated. Not sure why Gendry happens to be part of her story, or Jaime and Brienne's story, but he was included in their plotline, and has a role to play. Lady Stark, Jaime, Brienne... major POV characters in the books who's fates are woven together through these Oaths, and GrrM puts Gendry right there in the middle of their story. GrrM didn't disappear him, or kill him off by now... he definitely has a major part to play here.

I think the idea that Tommen gave Widows Wail to Loras is credible, Cersei only mentioned that he gave him a sword before he left for Dragonstone.

I don't think so, Cersei would have mentioned it was Widow's Wail. She would've been aghast if Tommen gave it to Loras, and most likely would have prevented it ihad she known Tommen was going to give it to Loras.

Not sure why Lady Stark was re-animated. Not sure why Gendry happens to be part of her story, or Jaime and Brienne's story, but he was included in their plotline, and has a role to play. Lady Stark, Jaime, Brienne... major POV characters in the books who's fates are woven together through these Oaths, and GrrM puts Gendry right there in the middle of their story. GrrM didn't disappear him, or kill him off by now... he definitely has a major part to play here.

Back when I read ASoS, I assumed that Gendry would become a narrator, thus killing two birds with one stone. Not only would we finally get to know a little more about someone that people seem to generally like, and one with his own subplot regarding a king, but we would also get a firsthand look at Lady Crazypants and her storyline. That, and lowborn narrators are rare. Outside of some prologues and Davos (who was raised up anyway), and maybe one or two others that I can't remember, narrators are generally highborn. I'd love a consistent narrator as low on the totem poll as Gendry, one without a formal education.

I guess it could still happen, but Catelyn's subplot's already well under way with Jaime and Brienne with minimal input from Gendry. I would've liked a little less Dorne and Iron Islands and maybe a touch more Stoneheart. But I trust Martin. He'll do what's right.

At this point, I'm guessing there are a few possibilities in store for Gendry. One way is that Jaime and Brienne dispose of UnCat, or at least escape from her, and the four of them (Jaime, Brienne, Gendry, and Pod assuming he's alive) go on their way to find Sansa and perhaps Arya. Brienne would probably want Gendry along because although Jaime's met the Stark girls, both Gendry and Pod would each recognize one of them immediately while Jaime might not. I would really enjoy this, but don't see it happening. Another way is that Beric's men are still dedicated to Beric's cause to Robert and somehow twist the logic that his bastard son will do in his place, and Gendry takes over after UnCat dies. Well, dies again. Not so fond of that theory. Or, as mentioned, he may have a hand in forging Lightbringer, possibly from Oathkeeper. T'would be interesting if Jon is Azor Ahai, given that the steel is originally Ice. Which, weirdly, would link Stannis' story back to Gendry, and I've wondered for a little while now what would happen if they ever met again.

See, this is one of the reasons I'm having trouble believing that he'll complete this in just two more books. This is a very cool subplot with a lot of potential that he hasn't explored yet, and it would be a sad waste to let it go. The problem is that there are a lot of subplots like this. I think I counted up to something like seventeen at one point. I would be sorely disappointed if we didn't see more from Gendry - we just have to.

Hmm, idk. Wiki doesn't say how old Brienne is. Or maybe Gendry can be with Jeyne Poole. I know people want her with Theon but I think that's weird. I know Theon didn't have a choice but to participate with Ramsay but still.

if you've made it to ADWD you might see the problems with the Theon idea, but I dont want to spoil anything

Gendry will ride to battle in some way that resembles Robert. Ned continually said he was just like Robert and was sure to make an excellent warrior. Gendry has been too close to battle and too ready for battle (physically and mentally now) to not fight. If Stannis dies, I hope Gendry somehow gets named heir to Robert's Stannis' Renly's throne and we can see him with an army and some real power.

Nah, he's going to marry Arya.

does anyone else think Arya will meey Edric Storm in Braavos and like him for his looks? I think there will be something there.

And also think that all westerosi characters in Braavos end up meeting, so I can see Macey (I think) will take Edric and Arya back to Westeros.

So Gendry's roll would be to make Arya close to Storm

If Gendry ever marries Arya I will be disapointed.

Actually, I dont like Gendry at all, he's a character I've never enjoyed, I hoped we were done with him but GRRM said we will see him again, so, well...

I am surprised how many people think Gendry will not have an important part to play in the final books. Based solely on the time GRRM has dedicated to the character I would expect a reasonable conclusion to his story (other than living happily ever after with the orphans at the inn).

What the conclusion will be, I have no idea...being legitmized and taking over a castle seems like a stretch. Using his super smithing powers or becoming a knight/warrior of sorts, these things I could see.

I am surprised how many people think Gendry will not have an important part to play in the final books. Based solely on the time GRRM has dedicated to the character I would expect a reasonable conclusion to his story (other than living happily ever after with the orphans at the inn).

I am afraid that he will just throw him away as an example that "kingly blood, good morals and hard work" does not mean anything, hah! Or will corrupt him somehow. How many truly good guys have we seen going corrupt in these books? Gendry would be a slap on our faces.

The big ploy would be to pass Gendry off as Renly Baratheon. It wouldn't be that difficult, and there would be many small folk and regular soldiers who would believe it, because he was seen at The Battle of the Blackwater.

Interesting possibility, definitely more feasible than Stannis at-the-wall meeting up and making Gendry heir/burning him for the Red God.

does anyone else think Arya will meey Edric Storm in Braavos and like him for his looks? I think there will be something there.

And also think that all westerosi characters in Braavos end up meeting, so I can see Macey (I think) will take Edric and Arya back to Westeros.

So Gendry's roll would be to make Arya close to Storm

So... the feisty tomboy-mafia-ninja-zorro-princess on the run will abandon the League of Shadows Zen Death Cult Face Changing Ninjas to stalk a quiet, handsome westerosi teen and his swordsman bodyguard back to the winter-besotten political mudpit which ROFL-stomped her father's honor, where she will become a commodity/brood mare/hostage/helpless window dressing/political pawn/threat/ticket to power...

Right. No. Sorry. Even pre-GoT Sansa wouldn't make such a jump on such a thin, shallow thread.

She ain't going anywhere near Westeros unless her family and her home are safely waiting on the other side of the pond. I see her joining up with Dany, in order to a) find a home, B) get revenge, c) have a powerful sponsor to protect her/her home and d) have a patron who would give her the equality/freedom that she wants/needs.

What the conclusion will be, I have no idea...being legitmized and taking over a castle seems like a stretch. Using his super smithing powers or becoming a knight/warrior of sorts, these things I could see.

This.

Forget Arya. he's either a nascent Bronn or Beric 2.0.

I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that Gendry has been gettin' busy makin' some bastards :) he is his father's sun after all.

I disagree. Gendry seems more like Stannis, if anything, then he does Robert. I seriously hope he doesn't turn into a lecherous drunkard.

Archived