Will we see Rickon again?

Zenefertiti

Spoilers to the end of Book 3 ahead

I'm hoping some Frey's capture him, and then brainwash him into loving them and hating his family. I dunno how realistic that is, but he is pretty young, and they could play up his family dying as them "leaving" him, and he might buy it at his age.

Then I hope Walder's eight wife dies giving birth, and Cat shows up to save Rickon, but he is cold to her, and then Walder forces her to become the ninth lady Frey after all, or he will kill Rickon. OH, HOW SWEET THAT WOULD BE.

And then Rickon would grow up, and reclaim the North as a true Stark of Winterfell (presumably Bran will get offed somewhere in the interveing time so Rickson has the best claim), but serving the interests of people like the Lannisters, and Walder Frey, and the like. And Cat would die for real anyway, but not before bearing some kids for Walder.

Unlikely, but that's what I am hoping for out of Rickon's story arc.

Rickon is kind of a pointless character. He's 4 years old so really, what more can he do but give his awesome direwolf a stupid name like Shaggydog? I think it was a mistake introducing him unless he somehow makes an appearance in the later books? Who knows, maybe in the final couple of books, GRMM flash forwards and Rickon's grown up but bitter as hell.

Bran makes sense as a character although I wonder how much more he can contribute sans legs especially if he didn't bother with The Wall.

Rickon is kind of a pointless character. He's 4 years old so really, what more can he do but give his awesome direwolf a stupid name like Shaggydog? I think it was a mistake introducing him unless he somehow makes an appearance in the later books? Who knows, maybe in the final couple of books, GRMM flash forwards and Rickon's grown up but bitter as hell.

Bran makes sense as a character although I wonder how much more he can contribute sans legs especially if he didn't bother with The Wall.

In ASoS he's off with the wildling woman isn't he? She seems to have some importance in the series. He's got to have some closure somewhere along the line, his character did develop; he was becoming wilder and less controllable as was his direwolf.

GRRM once gave an interview stating that he wanted time to move much quicker through the books because he wanted all the Stark kids to grow up. This tells me that he originally had pretty big plans for all of the kids (including Rickon) but with time moving much slower than he originally anticipated there could be major changes to Rickon's storyline because at the moment he is just way too young to be a POV or anything like that.

Shaggydog is an awsome name! Way better than "Ghost" or "Summer"!

I hope that Rickon grow up, and turn to be a real Stark, just has his father and strong like Winter, with Shaggydog and some loyal people (that would guide him) at his side because i think he is the only true hope for the Starks of Winterfell and for the North.

But without either parents guidance nor any of his siblings, I can't see that happen at this point. Their wolves are a reflection of each of the Stark children and Shaggydog is completely undiscplined. Like Rickon, he lacks the guidance and direction a parent would provide. I think that's one of the biggest reasons why I can't stand Catelyn. I can't see how being with your elderly father who has been sick for so long is more important then finding your daughters and hightailing it back to Winterfall to care for you small children.

It would have been nice to get some POV chapters out of Osha since she is with Rickon to see what in the world they've been up to.

i kind of figured this arc could go one of two ways: he'd be forgotten about and by default become the heir to Winterfell as the rest of the Wolves get burned, or he'd get found out on account of his wolf (naivety seems to run in the family) and become another piece to be used till his time is up, probably by a Bolton. If the series speeds up though, who knows, he seems to have more of Ned bro Brandon then Ned in him so could be pretty badass.

well yeah, rickon could have grown to be a real bad ass mofo :P if the 5 year gap had been used..

now i just don't see it happening..to be honest, i don't want to see a 5year old infant, doing heroic acts, even if its through his wolf..this series is "flawed" already by the incoherence between the characters ages and their behaviours/deeds..no need to further stretch that

maybe at the end of the series we'll get a "jump in the future" or something (maybe a timeline of facts like tolkien did in the end of lotr ? hell yeah!!! )

• 1 month later...

I dont know , I feel like the Stark women get the worst of things. But something happening to Rickon would be pointless ,bc presently he's not much of a character. Im hoping theres a serious time lapse , and he turns out to be the bad egg. Or even better yet weds the dragon queen or something crazy.

Shaggydog will be grown into an adult direwolf before Rickon even leaves kindergarden... so I think Rickon will be the Stark kid who's the most dominated by his Wolf side. Wild, fierce, passionate, but also utterly undisciplined and uncontrollable.

What the story makes of that... no idea... maybe he'll just roam the forests and kill Freys and Boltons or whoever stands in his way.

Well, I would rather more believe his character to lead Bran's armies into wars, while Bran goes into them while he has changed his skin into Summer. Bran being the Lord of Winterfell, making all the strategies. I feel they both alongwith Arya have the biggest roles, while Sansa also having important role, but how, I can't much think just at this point (half-way through ASoS).

Archived