Tyrion Appreciation Thread

eyeheartsansa

I just want to talk more about Tyrion's positive traits; despite being an alleged rapist and murder who fantasizes about raping his sister.. there is still alot to love here, besides being GRRM's favorite character.

I beg to differ. Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities.

I think this quote really rings true when you see where he's at in ADWD... dude is a survivor, and imo just starting to crawl out of his pit of self pitying and whatnot. His treatment of Penny, and his realization that, no, as much fun as it would be, maybe he shouldn't put his niece and nephew against each other in a succession war,

are both signs of life for his character.

He and Cersei are going to die in eachother's arms, relinquishing their hatred of eachother as their blood bleeds out. Hows that for a finish to the series?

Nah but seriously, I expect him to "die" before the series is out, but not before he ensures that either Tommen or Myrcella will take over at Casterly Rock as a good and heartwarming leader.

edit: I read this as a Tyrion prediction thread for some reason.

So, err, I love and hate the guy. Hope he dies in peace, but that he dies. Too many crimes brah

Can we call him a whore? Since people were calling Cersei a whore in the Cersei Appreciation Thread? What's good for the goose...

That being said, I loved how he handled Janos Slynt and Allar Deem. :lol: A deed somewhat tarnished by his conversation with Bronn thereafter, but still enjoyable.

Can we call him a whore? Since people were calling Cersei a whore in the Cersei Appreciation Thread? What's good for the goose...

That being said, I loved how he handled Janos Slynt and Allar Deem. :lol: A deed somewhat tarnished by his conversation with Bronn thereafter, but still enjoyable.

Oh, do not refrain yourself, you can call him a dwarf too (like Cersei and most Westerosi do).

Cersei has sex w multiple partners because she thinks it's a card she can play, her only asset as a (really hot) woman. Tyrion is just a horny bastard, and ugly so he has to pay for it.

I loved when he brought the saddle plans for Bran. In that moment he was a true gentleman.

Oh, do not refrain yourself, you can call him a dwarf too (like Cersei and most Westerosi do).

Erm...Dwarf is a term used for an actual medical condition. “Whore” is a job description and/ or a degrading epitet strewn exclusively at women to degrade them for behavior men and/or other women find socially unacceptable or threatening.

Things I like about Tyrion…

1. His sense of time management. If I had a dime for every sex scene in which Tyrion is described as “spending himself in three thrusts,” I think I’d have a few dollars. Way to prioritize, Tyrion! No need to waste time in unnecessary places. One, two, and… you’re done! Efficiency.

2. His compassion for female victims. Of course, said females have to be young, gorgeous, and non hookers (though a touching and truly beautiful exception was made in the case of Chataya, who, for reasons I’m still not able to understand, took a whipping for Tyrion.)

3. His staunch moral code.

4. His openmindedness. Many grown men would be put off by Sansa’s age. But not Tyrion. Like Littlfinger, Sandor Clegane, and many only slightly lesser names, Tyrion Lannister has proven to us that true love has no number, no age limit! Unless the chick is over, like, 30, and older than the guy in question. That would be just weird.

There was so much I liked about him in GOT (especially his handclasp with Jon) it just depressed me as he became more stupid, selfish, blind and degenerate as things went on.

I want to like Tyrion. In GOT, he was a man who had overcome overwhelming odds to turn into an intelligent, thoughtful, funny, reasonably moral person. A true survivor who had survived with remarkable class all things considered.

Then ...well, yeah.

One recurring theme in these books is what a little power does to people. When he was named temporary Hand is when I think his downfall character-wise began. Before that he was just a well read little guy from a powerful family. After about 8 minutes as Hand, he is plotting and intriguing and making messes everywhere.

I am not sure what I want to see happen to him now; depends on which him turns out to be the real him. My hope is that somehow he will realize he has turned into what he always hated most, and go back to the guy who sticks people with crab forks for fun.

I like Tyrion as much as the next guy. He's got a fair share of good qualities to him even when he has got a few negative ones as well. And no we can't call Tyrion a whore because he never took pay from anyone for sex.

The things I like about Tyrion are legion but the most important things are; resasonably good natured, witty, realist (often at least) and being ruthless to his enemies with some style. There are no doubts many other qualities I have forgotten but these should be the most important.

There was so much I liked about him in GOT (especially his handclasp with Jon) it just depressed me as he became more stupid, selfish, blind and degenerate as things went on.

I want to like Tyrion. In GOT, he was a man who had overcome overwhelming odds to turn into an intelligent, thoughtful, funny, reasonably moral person. A true survivor who had survived with remarkable class all things considered.

Then ...well, yeah.

One recurring theme in these books is what a little power does to people. When he was named temporary Hand is when I think his downfall character-wise began. Before that he was just a well read little guy from a powerful family. After about 8 minutes as Hand, he is plotting and intriguing and making messes everywhere.

I am not sure what I want to see happen to him now; depends on which him turns out to be the real him. My hope is that somehow he will realize he has turned into what he always hated most, and go back to the guy who sticks people with crab forks for fun.

I don't really buy the notion that even a little power begins a huge slide into corruption. The world is not run entirely by committee; in our world or that of Westeros, there have to be some people who have the power, either by election or heredity, to make decisions that influence the fate of others. I am always fascinated by how people handle great power, whether they have prepared for those burdens or have power thrust upon them. Obviously, power affects different people in different ways. They don't all turn into Joffrey.

I remember Tyrion saying, when asked (can't remember by whom) what he will do as the Hand of the King, and he says, quite sincerely, "Justice". I wonder, if Tywin hadn't come to King's Landing and taken over the job, if Tyrion's administration would have improved.

I totally agree that Tyrion is extremely likeable in AGOT. He's the only Lannister (except maybe Lancel and Tyrek) who is not over-the-top arrogant and actually exhibits empathy/compassion even when it is not in his self-interest to be helpful.

I hope that Tyrion lasts at least until the final chapter of the last book; because his viewpoint is always fun to read. He mocks others, and himself as well. I think he sowed his own doom when he murdered his father and Shae, even if one can judge his killing of Tywin as somewhat justifiable.

I also think that Tyrion and Sansa will meet again, though on what terms and for how long, I don't know. And I'm almost certain that he will find Tysha too, thought it won't be a happy reunion.

Erm...Dwarf is a term used for an actual medical condition. “Whore” is a job description and/ or a degrading epitet strewn exclusively at women to degrade them for behavior men and/or other women find socially unacceptable or threatening.

Things I like about Tyrion…

1. His sense of time management. If I had a dime for every sex scene in which Tyrion is described as “spending himself in three thrusts,” I think I’d have a few dollars. Way to prioritize, Tyrion! No need to waste time in unnecessary places. One, two, and… you’re done! Efficiency.

2. His compassion for female victims. Of course, said females have to be young, gorgeous, and non hookers (though a touching and truly beautiful exception was made in the case of Chataya, who, for reasons I’m still not able to understand, took a whipping for Tyrion.)

3. His staunch moral code.

4. His openmindedness. Many grown men would be put off by Sansa’s age. But not Tyrion. Like Littlfinger, Sandor Clegane, and many only slightly lesser names, Tyrion Lannister has proven to us that true love has no number, no age limit! Unless the chick is over, like, 30, and older than the guy in question. That would be just weird.

Oh Queen Cersei, we had that debate so often and I will come back to it if the thread is not full before I have finished work. and I can be as bitchy but only hopefully as funny as you are, given my limited English.

I'll refrain from copying my old posts but:

REALLY, that cruel and heartless rape of Sansa was exacty what was to be expected of that despiceable whoremonger. Why should he leave her alone in bed, after all she was his wife, he just HAD to bang her.

Given the Westerosi customs and the general respect for women EVERY other man would have read bedtime stories to her - but not Tyrion, the merciless rapist.

And no we can't call Tyrion a whore because he never took pay from anyone for sex.

Yes I wanted to say this, Tyrion ain't a whore, he's just a slut

I liked the guy because his chapters were funny and interesting, until ADwD where they turned into boring travelogues and endless repetitions of "where do whores go?". But it looks like he's about to get to Meereen and meet up with Barristan and maybe even Dany if she comes back, so hopefully the next books will have more interesting material. And I want to see what direction his character development takes, whether he'll manage to overcome the pit of hatred and self-pity he's fallen into, or whether he'll become more villainous.

He's a very well-developed character; certainly one of my favourites in the series. I love his chapters, and his chemistry with... pretty much every character he encounters is golden.

But let's face it: he wouldn't get away with half of what he does if it weren't for the pity parties he's so good at hosting. :P

Archived