Sandor Clegane v.8... his awesomeness can't be contained in 7 threads.

Leigh of Oldstones

Okay, riffing off the last line of discussion:

Sandor: Master of Disguise

How hard must it have been for a kid growing up with not only a severely disfigured face, but a exceedingly tall and muscled physique to make himself blend in?

And yet Sandor appears adept at it. Not only can he pass for a commoner when trekking with Arya, but he manages to avoid detection by the ever so observant Brienne (trying really. really. hard. not to roll my eyes right now. I love Brienne, but c'mon. It took you THAT long to figure out Pod was tailing you? Pod is so NOT subtle.) on the Quiet Isle.

Discuss.

Okay, riffing off the last line of discussion:

Sandor: Master of Disguise

How hard must it have been for a kid growing up with not only a severely disfigured face, but a exceedingly tall and muscled physique to make himself blend in?

And yet Sandor appears adept at it. Not only can he pass for a commoner when trekking with Arya, but he manages to avoid detection by the ever so observant Brienne (trying really. really. hard. not to roll my eyes right now. I love Brienne, but c'mon. It took you THAT long to figure out Pod was tailing you? Pod is so NOT subtle.) on the Quiet Isle.

Discuss.

Yes, this has always amused and baffled me. I mean, yes, he wears a cloak with the hood pulled low and everything, but it seems to me like that would be about as effective in disguising his identity as Lucy Ricardo wearing a fake mustache. But then, it always seemed to work for Lucy, since no one including her husband ever seemed to recognize her. So maybe I'm underestimating the marvelous concealing powers of hooded cloaks and fake mustaches. :P

There are several instances in the books where men as big as Sandor, or bigger, are pointed out. So I think his size, while not common, isn't all that rare. So with a hooded cloak and humble garb and humble demeanor, I find it believable that the knights on the way to the Twins, and Brienne at the Quiet Isle, didn't recognize him/weren't suspicious of him.

But I doubt that he ever really could "blend in" because his scarred face naturally makes him so conspicuous. He's good at blending in when he's disguised because he can read people really well and has a lot of experience with both the nobility and the small folk. So he knows how small folk are expected to behave around their lords, and he knows how the high lords act towards the small folk.

There are several instances in the books where men as big as Sandor, or bigger, are pointed out. So I think his size, while not common, isn't all that rare. So with a hooded cloak and humble garb and humble demeanor, I find it believable that the knights on the way to the Twins, and Brienne at the Quiet Isle, didn't recognize him/weren't suspicious of him.

This is true. I think Greatjon Umber, Lem Lemoncloak, and Bronze Yohn Royce are all described as being as tall or nearly as tall as him, so while his height is unusual, it's not unheard of in Westeros. Plus, if he was sitting down (in a cart, for example) and slouching, as he is on several occasions with Arya, this would also help disguise his height.

And on the QI, I think the brothers not only wear hooded cloaks, but also cover their faces up to their eyes as well, don't they? So maybe him remaining incognito isn't as absurd as I'd originally thought.

This is true. I think Greatjon Umber, Lem Lemoncloak, and Bronze Yohn Royce are all described as being as tall or nearly as tall as him, so while his height is unusual, it's not unheard of in Westeros. Plus, if he was sitting down (in a cart, for example) and slouching, as he is on several occasions with Arya, this would also help disguise his height.

And on the QI, I think the brothers not only wear hooded cloaks, but also cover their faces up to their eyes as well, don't they? So maybe him remaining incognito isn't as absurd as I'd originally thought.

The brothers attending Brother Narbert (a proctor) are described as having lengths of wool wrapped around the lower halves of their faces.

So while you might be able to see his scarring if you looked DIRECTLY at him, at a glance it wouldn't be noticeable.

Shortly after crossing the Trident with Arya, paying with an IOU (*snicker*), our hero relieves a farmer of a cart and its cargo. Sandor also avails himself the farmer's boots, which, notably, fit.

Maybe Sandor has dainty little ballerina feet?

::snickers::

jkjk

Shortly after crossing the Trident with Arya, paying with an IOU (*snicker*),

this is one of my favorite Sandor scenes. On one hand, I knew he was doing something very wrong but on the other hand, how could I judge him for it? "I'll be back for the rest one day so mind you don't go spending all of it." Kudos to the BwB for printing the first paper money in Westeros. :lol:

this is one of my favorite Sandor scenes. On one hand, I knew he was doing something very wrong but on the other hand, how could I judge him for it? "I'll be back for the rest one day so mind you don't go spending all of it." Kudos to the BwB for printing the first paper money in Westeros. :lol:

I had the same mixed feelings. I felt so bad for those poor ferrymen, but at the same time I couldn't help being impressed by Sandor's ingenuity. Plus, the image of them shaking their fists and throwing things at Sandor and Arya as they rode off was quite an amusing one. :lol:

Arya wasn't impressed, though. It just made her more determined than ever to keep him on her list.

I had the same mixed feelings. I felt so bad for those poor ferrymen, but at the same time I couldn't help being impressed by Sandor's ingenuity.

"Gold on the north bank, or steel on the south." :lol:

Anguy blew all his money, too.

I always wondered if he could have carried that much gold, he may have just taken as much as he could carry since his departure was not well planned out. Gold is pretty heavy, so there's no way he could carry 20,000 gold pieces. It would be nice if he has it invested with the Iron Bank.

Or, he could have taken the sage advice of a man from Kentucky that I read about in the paper once. The man had received about 1.4 million dollars from the state lottery, and less than four years later he was penniless (except for his 4 year old corvette) and he said the money was gone because, "I spent it all on women and wine, the rest I just blew." Makes me wonder what he did with the rest of the money that made the wine and women part was the smart choice in his mind.

Archived