Your thoughts on the music?

Donnycarko

The main theme is the ringtone on my phone :) . Doesn't get much more adoring than that ... I hear it a couple dozen times every day and never get tired of it.

It's a ringtone on my phone, as well. The opening theme, King's Arrival and Finale are favorites that come to mind. Anytime I'm walking a fair distance, it is usually with the King's Arrival running around in my head. The part of the Finale where you first see Dany and the dragons, so perfectly fit the scene, it brought tears to my eyes.

First I love the soundtrack, I have it as a playlist on youtube, it's beautiful!! and it's a real soundtrack, I mean not a collection of songs, no, they are all composed for the show, so many are kind of small 1-2 minutes, just as long as the scenes.

The opening song is incredible, no wonder there are so many remixes of it.

But I do have a problem with the soundtrack. Although it's beautiful, I think it's a bit too subtle at times. It lacks a sense of epic.... and this is a big minus for the show. You can't have an epic scene, without an epic song.... it just can't happen, and this show MUST be epic, it has so many coming scenes where it could give away that feeling, but not with songs like in the first season.

We've had ne big battle in the Whispering Woods, I know we don't see it, but anyway. For example try to imagine the battle of Pelennor Fields in The Return of the King with this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIzpMYk_A4U what do you get??

Since Ramin Djawadi was kind of in a hurry when producing the soundtrack for season 1, didn't have visual material and knew the flow of the episodes and storytelling, your criticism is kinda understandable. "Subtle" Music is easier to do when you're not really sure about the direction. It's easier to make "mistakes" with loud and fast music, because I think, epic can sound "wrong" faster than "backgrounds". It's very difficult to describe what I mena, but I hope you get it ;-)

But I do believe that now, as there is time and known visuals (season 1), the music will "improve". It is already amazing, so...

Archived