What would you do if you got dropped into the 7 kingdoms?

Defengar

To voodooqueen:

All that medical stuff - that's discouraging.....but I believe everyone of us would drop dead within two weeks, so many unknown hostile germs only waiting for poor pampered victims from our post-industrial world......

I might indeed find some fool to marry, I' d even fuck him if he is remotely sexy, otherwise I'd go for his cutest apprentice. Then I'd take over, say, his carpenter shop and turn it into a successful furniture company. Some design innovations, like Art Nouveau, could be the new fashion. Then a lover who is a cloth merchant: High waist dresses might fulfil a hot demand, given that they are fine to hide a broader waist and support a swelling or sagging bosom.. Queen Cersei would be an early adopter and it is always good to have high ranking customers.

So thank you Voodooqueen, that you turned me away from the very risky job of prostitution. I should indeed better rely on my talents in creativity - Westeros is screaming for cultural innovation, there is a huge gap in GRRM's imagination! But I will be there to fill it - beam me there, Scotty!

To voodooqueen:

All that medical stuff - that's discouraging.....but I believe everyone of us would drop dead within two weeks, so many unknown hostile germs only waiting for poor pampered victims from our post-industrial world......

I might indeed find some fool to marry, I' d even fuck him if he is remotely sexy, otherwise I'd go for his cutest apprentice. Then I'd take over, say, his carpenter shop and turn it into a successful furniture company. Some design innovations, like Art Nouveau, could be the new fashion. Then a lover who is a cloth merchant: High waist dresses might fulfil a hot demand, given that they are fine to hide a broader waist and support a swelling or sagging bosom.. Queen Cersei would be an early adopter and it is always good to have high ranking customers.

So thank you Voodooqueen, that you turned me away from the very risky job of prostitution. I should indeed better rely on my talents in creativity - Westeros is screaming for cultural innovation, there is a huge gap in GRRM's imagination! But I will be there to fill it - beam me there, Scotty!

Pleasure.

Your post industrial knowledge would be of benefit to a Westerosi carpenter, blacksmith, Maester, Merchants etc, and would be wasted in a brothel

:blushing: Thank you, btw my market exchange value might by now be considerably higher as artist than as prostitute. I might have serious trouble with virginity and...sagging...stretchmarks........

Become a septa, and use that as a springboard for your painting (with your knowledge of oil painting you would be far more advanced than the tempera painting that was current in the Middle Ages, giving you the potential to become the next Jan Van Eyck.

Other artists to consider....

Artemisia Gentillischi, Fra Angelico(a), Agnes of Meissen (who also became an abbess, which would be the equivalent of running a business or government department), Louise Elisabeth Vigee LeBrun, Sister Edith Pfau, Sister Maria Stanisia, Caterina van Hemessen, Fra Carnevale, Fra Simone da Carnuli, Fra Diamante, Fra Antonio da Negroponte...

End of ADWD, I'd still say Maester, but if they don't have any room on account of the world is about to end and all, joining the rag-tag army of the Faith would probably be the best chance of food and shelter.

Dear maester, my tooth is rotten, take it off. I have an arrow in my shoulder, do something about it. My time is near, deliver my baby. Tell me, please, when is the winter coming, how much of my crops should I lay aside? And, by the way, there is some yellow stuff of my oat-field, is it a sickness or what?

And so on, and so forth...

Dear maester, my tooth is rotten, take it off. I have an arrow in my shoulder, do something about it. My time is near, deliver my baby. Tell me, please, when is the winter coming, how much of my crops should I lay aside? And, by the way, there is some yellow stuff of my oat-field, is it a sickness or what?

And so on, and so forth...

someone who had a) a degree in medical science* B) an engineer c) agricultural science would do okay in Westeros.

* the Film Kandahar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kandahar_(2001_film)

makes the case that anybody with basic knowledge of medicine could become a doctor in a society like that.

someone who had a) a degree in medical science* B) an engineer c) agricultural science would do okay in Westeros.

I'd say, eventually okay. After they deal with the fact that the instuments of their trade are drastically different from those they are acustomed to. But yes, something useful like that.

Trained horsemen should have at least one less problem. People from http://innatthecrossroads.com/ would, no doubt, be welcome everywhere, other cooks would have to adjust their recipies. Botanists would also fare well...

It irks me that Middle Ages are seen as centuries populated by half-witted and uneducated people, who would unevitably bow to someone who can turn his smartphone on.

I'd say, eventually okay. After they deal with the fact that the instuments of their trade are drastically different from those they are acustomed to. But yes, something useful like that.

Trained horsemen should have at least one less problem. People from http://innatthecrossroads.com/ would, no doubt, be welcome everywhere, other cooks would have to adjust their recipies. Botanists would also fare well...

It irks me that Middle Ages are seen as centuries populated by half-witted and uneducated people, who would unevitably bow to someone who can turn his smartphone on.

Well the major factor in the increase in life expectation is not antibiotics (which derive from bread mould) but hygiene and public health.

1. Well realisticly you'd have to get rid of your 'future' clothes, but then you'd be running around naked.
  2. And then if you bumped into anyone, you'd need a story to explain why you were naked, just make something up eg. you're a crofters daughter, your fathers dead, some men are chasing you...
  3. Perhaps if you met two travelers, one of them might go searching for the 'attackers' while the other takes you to an inn for some food.
  4. You would fall instantly in love and sleep together there and then, and proceed to get married.
  5. After that, you would live in a little cottage together and live happily ever after. Right? :unsure:

I personally would be fine........I have some rudiment knowledge of weapons/armour(not that i would HAVE any, other than a fine swiss pocket knife) am large (6'2", 260lb) and strong and have knowledge of outdoor survival. Drawback would be that i would be considered "old".......over 40.

First step is to get myself a walking stick/staff.(this is a primary source of defence) The knife will be beneficial to this. 2nd, find some place to shelter(depending on what the weather is doing), 3rd, again depending on the suroundings, find wood/stones for fire starting. Then, make my way to find the Cat zombie led brothers. Here, i can help get better at arms use or just help with tasks that require some brawn.

My Associate and I are already making preparations for the coming zombie apocolypse. :)

We've been perusing the back of the toothpaste tube, analyzing the ingredients to see if they can be replicated through certain herbs and plants.

Also been doing the same with deoderant and soap, (will always be a must-have).

Trying also to figure out how to shave our legs and armpits once all the razors run out.

(I suppose a really sharp knife will have to suffice).

So, I'd say we have a leg-up on the research end of things. :D

Then i would join the faith, proclaim myself a prophet, using my knowledge to do some crazy tricks and show some sort of supernatural power, then become high septon, and use my military/religious power to conquer Westeros. If dany comes with freaking dragon, just tell my archers/bowmen to aim the eyes! the eyes i say! Not even dragon can live without brains.

I would make my way to King's Landing, if I get in without a hitch I would proceed to the marketplace. I would trade my clothes for regular westerosi clothes, hopefully getting some silver on the side because my clothes are so fine and colorful.

I would try to arrange a meeting with the head chef of the Red Keep's kitchens. Selling/trading him the chocolate for money or food. I would keep the smart phone and rubber bands (smart phone turned off immediately after I found out it was in my pocket, to save battery) hidden the best I can. I would try to also arrange a meeting with the King himself, to present him with a gift of the Swiss Army Knife. Only one of its kind in the world, a tool fit for a King. Hopefully he will be generous, maybe give me some money or something useful in my journeys, at least a good meal.

Hopefully I would have made enough silver off the chocolate, my futuristic clothes and the knife, so that I could survive for a while and book passage to Oldtown. There I would try to sell the rubber bands and the smart phone (showing it off to the highest ranking Maester I could find) to the Maesters at the Citadel. I first thought about giving the smartphone to the King, but I was afraid he wouldn't be impressed with it and figured that a Maester of the Citadel would best appreciate a piece of extremely advanced technology. Too bad they will probably kill the battery fiddling with it. I'll just tell them that it is an artifact that goes into a sleep cycle every few hundred years if they come back to find me when it turns off.

Hopefully the smartphone and rubber bands would fetch me a fortune, so I could book a short trip to the Arbor and drink merrily and live comfortably for the rest of my days or until I get transported back to Modern times.

Hmm. Any college graduate could, intellectually, rock the westerosi world. Any kid who played total war could reform military tactics. I'd sell myself as a counsellor, though I'd get my foot in the door with gunpowder, which is actually stupidly easy to make (I am a black powder shooter/enthusiast). I'd hope to wear my signet ring that day, as a gold ring and my prep-school beaten-into-me English would pass for a "noble education" by Westerosi standards. Hell, basic cell theory would give Pycelle a raging brainer...

Further, with a copy of the books, one could be considered prophetic. For one, I'd have one of my new "grenades" stuck in Varys' mouth in open court. I'm sure Tywin would pay a small fortune for information concerning his assassination. As an arms dealer now, I'd ask for a line of credit from the Treasury for an enterprise in gunpowder, to be sold as enormous mark-up to any sovereign state. With a living Tywin, the war to come would be far bloodier. And bloody wars maketh a rich lord of war!.

And I'd introduce the concept of sushi. That too.

I will go to Old town find a faceless man and bargain my chocolate bar to be train as assassin :), And I'll come back to our time and I will become Secret Assassin :P Or I could become the Maker of Chocolate lol Hey to think of it they won't have nice cakes and pasta's and savouries at the time, I could become the most famous chef since I am expert in making this stuff. I can become Daenery Chef and poison her.

I would head directly for the Vale, do my best to become Myranda's new BFF, and stay there. It is the safest place to be with what is coming, with the best natural defenses and the best provisioned for the coming winter. I would not care what my position was or what was expected of me to earn my place, I would simply want to get there and stay put for a good long while. Myranda obviously has far too remotely placed a life for her outgoing personality; I could probably keep her entertained for quite some time with stories of my own life (edited) and my predictions for the future (which would be based on having far more info than she does, and thus hopefully make me invaluable to her. I would also probably put on a red dress and claim to be a follower of the Lord of Light, in order to help explain how I get all my information from fire reading.

Once the coast is clear and wandering a bit not so dangerous, I would head north and stay there the rest of my life, ideally. Something about the north has always called to me (obviously).

Archived