Is Tywin Jaime's father?

OneEyedCat

I'm intrigued about a comment made by Jaime's aunt when discussing Tywin:

Jaime kissed her cheek. "He left a son". "Aye, he did. That is what I fear the most, in truth." That was a queer remark. "Why should you fear?" "Jaime," she said, tugging on his ear, "sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joanna's breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg, and there's some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak...but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you. I said so once to your father's face and he would not speak to me for half a year. Men are such thundering great fools. Even the sort who come along once in a thousand years."

I may be taking this too literally but I smell a plot twist.

• 2 weeks later...

To echo the other sentiments, taking this too literally although given the series and other plot twists and speculation about other characters' partenage, it's easy to see where someone might question Jaime's father. Especially with Tywin making frequent comments about not really being sure if Tyrion is his son although clearly he is. Jaime isn't the clever, cunning one in the family. Cersei and Tyrion are, in a way, they are more like twins then Jaime and Cersei are.

Parentage and "worthiness" of succession are huge themes in ASOIAF. We get constant observations about how various characters do or do not resemble their larger families. But in this particular case, I think Martin is just trying to show us how much Jaime has changed over the course of the story.

• 1 month later...

Jaime isn't the clever, cunning one in the family. Cersei and Tyrion are, in a way, they are more like twins then Jaime and Cersei are.

Really? You would describe Cersei as clever and cunning? I'd say naiive and powerhungry. She inherited Tywin's take-what-is-mine attitude, his demand for respect, and his hunger for power. Tyrion got the wits, cunning, charisma, and ability to scheme. Jaime got the ego and the ability as a warrior.

She should not be to literally. However it is interesting that Tyrion got the Ty family name and Jamie didn't even though he was born first

Were there past Tyrion Lannisters? I don't believe so, but I could be wrong. Also, Tywin kinda hated his father Tytos because he was basically a fool and a pushover, so does the Ty- prefix really mean anything good?

Tywin always rejected Tyrion as he saw him to be a disappointment for very superficial reasons while praising Jaime as the deserving heir to Casterly Rock.

But the truth of the matter is that Tyrion is much closer to his father in character than Jaime was or is. Tywin was blinded by rage at the fact that a ) tyrion's birth took his wife's life and b ) he's a grotesque dwarf.

But Tywin should have held Tyrion in a much higher regard. For all Tywin's cunning he was pretty stupid and stubborn when it came to the issue of his favourite son.

• 2 weeks later...

Tywin always rejected Tyrion as he saw him to be a disappointment for very superficial reasons while praising Jaime as the deserving heir to Casterly Rock.

But the truth of the matter is that Tyrion is much closer to his father in character than Jaime was or is. Tywin was blinded by rage at the fact that a ) tyrion's birth took his wife's life and b ) he's a grotesque dwarf.

But Tywin should have held Tyrion in a much higher regard. For all Tywin's cunning he was pretty stupid and stubborn when it came to the issue of his favourite son.

It's not being superficial. Tyrion is literally grotesque. (And yes, I do know the definition of superficial).

Archived