Sandor Clegane v. 9

I can't say that I agree that he was Sansa's single biggest influence, he's important, but I think that the Lannisters themselves are almost solely responsible for showing her that what is pretty on the outside has nothing to do with what's on the inside. I hope that he emerges as the person to show her that what is ugly on the outside can be nice on the inside.

IA that Stranger still being at the QI is important, he may be valuable but not to the Brothers, if Sandor was dead, wouldn't they have just sold him and gotton a plowhorse or something that is useful to them?

Okey, I can agree with you on that. It does seem right that the Lannister show what's pretty isn't always nice, but Sandor is more of the what's ugly isn't always bad side of the lesson.

You would think, right? Surely a plowhorse would better suit their peaceful lifestyle better than some demon-tempered destrier. I think that Stranger is a part of Sandor and that we see he's there suggests the continued existence of his master.

No, i have to contradict, He definitely haven't lost a horse at the battle, because when they arrive to the Red Wedding with Arya, one of the knights have nearly discovered them because of the horse. the Hound says then that if he had rode in that moment the knight would have recognized him, because this is the horse he used at the tourney when he was fighting with that knight. He has lost a horse earlier, it is mentionned that some times earlier he had lost a horse at a tourney but it was before the start of the story we know, it was just mentionned somewhere.

I don't think this really proves your point, though. For all we know that could be two different horses. The Hand's tourney was quite a while ago and it's conceivable that the one he rode into the battle is not the same one he's riding along with Arya.

He could hold his own against Gregor in the tourney, so that is a yes. But Robert Strong is another kind of player, dunno what the outcome would be if they fought. Obviously I hope Sandor would still win, but........

Do we have any information as to how the necromancing affects the subject? As in, does it make them any physically stronger than in life, or is it simply a matter of being harder to kill (or are they harder to kill? I confess, I don't remember).

Killing the no-one-can-kill-waving-a-sword-on-fire Beric Dondarrion in a poorly lighted cave full with men of the BWB, with an extreme hangover and the shield arm caught on fire, plus a huge and overwhelming trauma-originated fear of fire is quite an extraordinary thing to do. And Sandor goes through all that like a boss.

There is no limit to his badassery. Gah, I love this character. *does cheerleading routine*

:leaving:

I was quite indifferent in regards to Sandor, and this is also the first Sandor appreciation thread I've read through and now I can honestly say all of you have convinced me of Sandor's BAMFness and I'd like to join the Sandor fanclub :P

I was quite indifferent in regards to Sandor, and this is also the first Sandor appreciation thread I've read through and now I can honestly say all of you have convinced me of Sandor's BAMFness and I'd like to join the Sandor fanclub :P

WELCOME!

Sandor is the best, isn't he? ;)

GIF: She's just daring someone to try and contradict her, but I'm not that brave ;)

A man and his horse must never be apart.

No one can contradict Irri. Except Rakharo. (they're a minor ship of mine...but only in the show-verse)

Til death do them part.

Do we have any information as to how the necromancing affects the subject? As in, does it make them any physically stronger than in life, or is it simply a matter of being harder to kill (or are they harder to kill? I confess, I don't remember). :leaving:

Qyburn tells Cersei on two different occasions that "no living man will be able to withstand him" and "There is no man in all the Seven Kingdoms who can hope to stand against him."

Which immediately made me think, "No living MAN, eh? What about a woman?"

Qyburn tells Cersei on two different occasions that "no living man will be able to withstand him" and "There is no man in all the Seven Kingdoms who can hope to stand against him."

OR...OR....SANDOR HAS "DIED" IN A METAPHORICAL SENSE...EH? EH?

whoops...sorry, capslock took over for a sec there.

:lol:

Always the small details, but hey, you never know. All I know is I want his un!Ser-ness gone.

Gregor

^^ needs to die already.

I immediately had a very LOtR moment when he said that.

I think that's why HH started the livejournal journal site, so that the Sisterhood could discuss that kind of thing safely and leave this forum for discussing stuff directly relevant to the books. The mods have given us fair warning many, many times.

Sandor as a lover is related to the books last time I checked. Sandor as my lover isn't though :lol:

I wasn't a massive fan of him either until a re-read. I had overlooked some of the more intricate details of his time in King's Landing -- his final meeting with Sansa especially, since "rape" was what I went into that scene expecting when he drew his dagger. But he gets his song and she cups his face, feeling "the stickiness of the blood, and a wetness that was not blood," right before he leaves her with the white cloak. I didn't expect that; it was a powerful moment and really showed a glimpse of something you wouldn't expect to see.

And Beric was clearly dead. I mean - a dead man. With a flaming sword. In a dark cave. I was scared just reading it.

I agree, it was his finest moment. Because he faced his fear - and overcame it.

That scene was so awesome.

:agree:

and sometimes i think, that every time when Sandor fight in a flames (in BBB or against Beric) he had 'back to the past', and in his mind he was again 6 or 7 years old ('he's crying like a little baby' said Arya. Goshhh, Sandor is a big, strong man, I know, his burns must be painful, but his beg 'help me. someone. help me' are so emotional. Realy, I have thrills in every re-read).

(and maybe I'm wrong, so much mead this evening :P )

I wasn't a massive fan of him either until a re-read. I had overlooked some of the more intricate details of his time in King's Landing -- his final meeting with Sansa especially, since "rape" was what I went into that scene expecting when he drew his dagger. But he gets his song and she cups his face, feeling "the stickiness of the blood, and a wetness that was not blood," right before he leaves her with the white cloak. I didn't expect that; it was a powerful moment and really showed a glimpse of something you wouldn't expect to see.

This is nice to hear :) The scene really is powerful and one of my favourites in the series. It had all the requisite emotions: fear, confusion, anger, lust (?), compassion, despair. Just awesome. The "wetness that was not blood" is also very touching. That man is always crying :D

:agree:

and sometimes i think, that every time when Sandor fight in a flames (in BBB or against Beric) he had 'back to the past', and in his mind he was again 6 or 7 years old ('he's crying like a little baby' said Arya. Goshhh, Sandor is a big, strong man, I know, his burns must be painful, but his beg 'help me. someone. help me' are so emotional. Realy, I have thrills in every re-read).

(and maybe I'm wrong, so much mead this evening :P )

OMG I can't believe you said this, it's completely amazing and I had never thought about it before. You are a genius. Because it's almost like... It's like he's being REBORN again every time he fights through the flames, and afterwards he cries salty manly tears...

What was that prophecy about Azor Ahai / The Prince That Was Promised again?

HIYA GUYS!! ........MUST RESTRAIN SELF FROM CHATTINESS.........

Sooo, guys, Sandor Appreciation part 9? Somebody gimme something here...

Hmmm...oh, ok, this may have been covered in one of the many fight threads, but wtf-ever, I'll bring it up here, just for something to bat around.

Who could feasibly take Sandor in a fight, w/in the timeframe of the series? Like maybe not beat him, but hold their own, at least? Nobody who's dead, or washed up by GoT (no Arthur Dayne, no in-his-prime Robert Baratheon).

My list would be:

Jaime, pre-hand

Gregor

Victarion

Bronn

Syrio Forel (possible)

Garlan Tyrell (possible...him training against 3 dudes was PIIIMP)

Who am I missing? I know I'm missing people here...

Hmmm...oh, ok, this may have been covered in one of the many fight threads, but wtf-ever, I'll bring it up here, just for something to bat around.

Who could feasibly take Sandor in a fight, w/in the timeframe of the series? Like maybe not beat him, but hold their own, at least? Nobody who's dead, or washed up by GoT (no Arthur Dayne, no in-his-prime Robert Baratheon).

My list would be:

Jaime, pre-hand

Gregor

Victarion

Bronn

Syrio Forel (possible)

I dunno if you're missing anyone, but I would like to note that when reading Victarion's thoughts during one of the battles, I'd say they were very much like what I imagine Sandor's to be. The men are, in regards to their martial prowess and ability, very similar. Sandor just wouldn't beat his wife to death. Heh.

Oh, what about Oberyn Martell? If he could take the Mountain...

My list would be:

Jaime, pre-hand

Gregor

Victarion

Bronn

Syrio Forel (possible)

HEY 3LITTLEBIRDS, BEEN AWHILE!!!!!!! :D ;)

I agree with this list, but I'd probably nix Victarion. I think a Sandor vs. Euron would probably be more interesting.

Archived