Trajectory maps?

kellaria

I'm new to the realm of Ice & Fire, so this question may have already been brought up (though a search of the forum yielded no results) or it may even already exist, but is there any chance of maps charting the actual paths of the characters as they move through Westeros and beyond appearing in this book? I was looking at the maps in my copy of ADwD this morning and thought it'd be really cool if I could actually see exactly how Dany made her way to Meereen, how Arya tracked her way all over the Seven Kingdoms to finally arrive in Bravvos, what route the Night's Watch took dredging through the Haunted Forest, etc.

I'm sure if such a map included the paths of every character and every destination it would amount to a scribbled mess, but perhaps a select variety of the most significant journeys, quests, and conquests?

I'm new to the realm of Ice & Fire, so this question may have already been brought up (though a search of the forum yielded no results) or it may even already exist, but is there any chance of maps charting the actual paths of the characters as they move through Westeros and beyond appearing in this book? I was looking at the maps in my copy of ADwD this morning and thought it'd be really cool if I could actually see exactly how Dany made her way to Meereen, how Arya tracked her way all over the Seven Kingdoms to finally arrive in Bravvos, what route the Night's Watch took dredging through the Haunted Forest, etc.

I'm sure if such a map included the paths of every character and every destination it would amount to a scribbled mess, but perhaps a select variety of the most significant journeys, quests, and conquests?

There are maps around the net showing the movements of Robb, Catelyn, the Lannisters...etc. (I think they can be found somewhere in westeros.org), but not of Daenerys, since she travelled through still uncharted lands (to Vaes Dothrak, to Qarth...etc.).

Look here: http://awoiaf.wester..._the_Five_Kings

and here: http://www.asshai.com/atlas/atlas.php

it'd be really cool if I could actually see exactly how Dany made her way to Meereen, how Arya tracked her way all over the Seven Kingdoms to finally arrive in Bravvos, what route the Night's Watch took dredging through the Haunted Forest, etc.

can you read french or russian? because I recall both having a map of dany path. supposedly there this timeline but it never worked for me so I cant say. other than the we have few maps on the wiki and that is about that for english maps :/

edit:

russian(last option on the right)

Sorry if the timeline did not work for you mor2 but anyway it is an extremely long way from being finished and the section that is on my website at the moment is from history rather than the current timeline of the novels, which I appreciate isn't quite so interesting. At this point it has been more of a 'can I do it?' project rather than actually getting down to the hard work of doing it.

However, it is my intention to one day complete the animation to achieve exactly what the OP is asking for.

This past year I have been busy with TitanCon and other projects but I have also been working on my timeline by compiling a massive spreadsheet of everything that happens in the books, trying to figure out how and when everything happens, how it all fits together. I still need to add ADWD to the spreadsheet but since that came out I have been working on the other half of the problem namely creating a map of the world including Essos as far east as Qarth. This is of course extremely speculative and is liable to be changed upon getting new information at some point in the future but it will give me a basis for figuring out Dany's timeline which is what I need. Whether the map of Essos will be up to the standard Tear set for his map of Westeros I don't know but that is what I am trying for.

I estimate I'm about 35% done with the map and about 60% complete on the spreadsheet. Might be another 6 months or so before both are ready to be posted online. The new map will then necessitate a complete redesign of the timeline animation. I'm going to look into using HTML5 rather than Flash, possibly using Adobe Edge to transform the existing content if it's up to the job, though current reviews say the current preview version is not that good but we'll see what 2012 brings us. So it will probably be about this time next year by the time a new version of the animated timeline is ready to go. It will probably take the better part of a decade to complete the project but I believe it will be worth it in the end.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived