[Book Spoilers] "Jumping the gun" on evolving characters

d_mess

In the interest of saving time, season1 "jumped ahead" in developing some characters. Characters who change alot, or who our perceptions of change alot, had some of their GOT-selves skipped over in order to get their overall ASOIAF-selves properly developed as quickly as possible. Show-Sansa started out more likable than Book-Sansa, Show-Renly started out more gay/immature, Show-Hound started out more likable, Show-Pycelle started out more tricky, etc.

Season2 will probably be the same. Will Stannis and Melisandre start out more human? In the books, Cressen's prologue puts you off both of them for most of ACOK, but by ADWD they are both very human, and Stannis ends up arguably one of the series' main heros. Will Roose Bolton immediately seem trecherous?

I dont fault HBO for doing this, but it really could give the story a different flavor. The most obvious change will probably be when Renly is killed. In the books it seemed very sinister, but a human Stannis, and vulnerable Melisandre, murdering a deluded/childish (and gay, but hopefully that itself wont make us dislike him) Renly, might feel alot different than Robo-Stannis and witch-melisandre murdering Perfect-Metrosexual-Renly.

Well Renly did have some good moments in S1. His reaction to Robert's injury and subsequent death was reasonable. Since they are focusing on him a bit more in S2, I think he will come across quite well.

I think Stannis will still be more of a villian in S2. It will make the conclusion of the season more satisfying, rather than have another grim ending. But Stannis will be naunced at the same time. We will at least understand where he is coming from.

I imagine Roose will be introduced as a little shady (like he is in the books) but it wouldn't be till the end of the season that we know he is big trouble.

I think Margaery will be portrayed as a more cunning creature than she was in the books.

I anticipate she will have a more pronounced rivalry with Cercei in coming seasons than the books have let on. I mean why not? These two actresses can definitely make a spectacular Cold war of the two Queens happen... And they need to speed up the Tyrells' scheme.

I just don't see how Stannis or Melisandre can ever rise above their status of human sacrificers with delusions of grandeur. Yes, they are human and vulnerable in their own ways. That in no way redeems them. Jaime Lannister they aren't...

Unless, I suppose, they are shown not to be practicioners of human sacrifice in the series? Now that would be a wild deviation from the books, since so much of their plots involves Melisandre demanding the blood or the burning of assorted characters. I doubt GRRM would allow such a leap, however. Actually, I wonder if he knows how popular the two are here in the forums.

As for other characters, due to the lack of true POV characters I would expect to see more of Robb, Blackfish, and perhaps Jeor Mormont. Cersei as well, and Joffrey. And Bronn. Bronn is lots of fun.

GRRM gave up all those rights when he signed the deal with HBO. The producers can butcher the series if they want, and George can only sit and watch.

But the reason he gave up the rights to D&D is that they respected the work a huge amount. They aren't interested in butchering the series and creating their own story.

I don't expect radical departures in how Melisandre and Stannis operate. I always had some sympathy for Stannis because he was the legitimate heir to Robert. While their tactics are vicious at times, sacrificing one man in order to save the life of thousands is not the worst justification ever for the crimes they do. You can sully nearly every power lord/lady in the series with some sort of crimes.

I think Margaery will be portrayed as a more cunning creature than she was in the books.

I anticipate she will have a more pronounced rivalry with Cercei in coming seasons than the books have let on. I mean why not? These two actresses can definitely make a spectacular Cold war of the two Queens happen... And they need to speed up the Tyrells' scheme.

I have to admit that I'm really looking forward to Natalie Dormer's portrayal of Margary Tyrell. She was splendid in the Tudors as well as in other productions, fx Silk and a Miss Marple mystery that I can't remember the title of.

Yeah, I noticed this specifically with the Hound. I do hope that even if they give a lot more relatable features to Melisandre, they do keep her distant. They need to show the audience that she's closer to Qarth than Westeros, perhaps even with the same sort of accent. One has to keep up the mystery with her, else the general workings of what she does becomes boring because we know her intentions are "pure".

Jamie's going to be really difficult. His leaping character change needs to be just that: A leap. They're going to want to give him more screentime and more development than he should, if for nothing other than Coster-Waldeau's want to make the character more sympathetic. Same thing with Robb really, though he journies towards being more honorable and maturing.

Jamie's going to be really difficult. His leaping character change needs to be just that: A leap. They're going to want to give him more screentime and more development than he should, if for nothing other than Coster-Waldeau's want to make the character more sympathetic. Same thing with Robb really, though he journies towards being more honorable and maturing.

Why does it need to be a leap? Comments like this make it seem like people are not understanding the fundamental difference between the novels (told through unreliable narrators) and a TV show that by its nature is more of a "god perspective" when it comes to characterization.

Of course Jamie's character change seemed big in the novels, but only because it was the first time we got to hear things from HIS perspective. Had we gotten Jamie chapters in book 1 and 2, I'm sure we would have had a much more positive impression of him, and the change would have been more gradual.

The show is going to be different. We won't just see the scenes from the POVs we expect, and even when we do we will see a more balanced view of characters like Melisandre & Jamie. (villains that we come to understand better later)

The Hound started out killing Mikken and making a flippant comment about it while the corpse while slung across his horse like a deer. Hardly soft. He only has two other moments (that I can think of). One we learn he hates his brother and is eager to kill him (and that he obeys his king at great personal risk). And then we got his Sansa moment, which begins to humanize him. Not sure I agree there.

Jaime starts out lower than pretty much any character in the history of television. He is nailing his sister and throws cute little Bran out the window while making another flippant comment. Seriously, I don't think any TV character starts lower on the totem pole. However, the rest of the season (perhaps killing Jory aside, but that was certainly understandable) they are trying to make him more sympathetic. Many times you see him trying to be a decent person, though abjectly failing due to his nature. He becomes sympathetic even while still being a pure villain. He is a really bad guy, but somehow it's not completely his fault. I think Season One did an incredible job with him. They are going to have to add material for him in Season 2, as he is Sir Not to be Seen in this Episode for all of book 2. Expect to see his escape attempt, perhaps it will even succeed for a short time. (I would love Blackfish to hunt him down and beat him in combat (with Jaime being exhausted, poorly armed as an excuse)

I always felt that Stannis was somewhat sympathetic - Cressen's and Davos' opinions of him must be high for a reason. And besides, he was out to get those evil nasty Lannisters! Anyone out to kill Prince Joff was awesome in my book. Little bastard...

I hardly think that the Lannisters successfully defending King's Landing can be called anything like "triumphant" or "uplifting". On the contrary, viewers will be unbelievably pissed that KL is still in Lannister hands, with the Red Keep untouched while Winterfell is held by Theon and Rickon/Bran are exiled and thought to be dead...

I hardly think that the Lannisters successfully defending King's Landing can be called anything like "triumphant" or "uplifting". On the contrary, viewers will be unbelievably pissed that KL is still in Lannister hands, with the Red Keep untouched while Winterfell is held by Theon and Rickon/Bran are exiled and thought to be dead...

I agree it isn't uplifting but we do like Tyrion, who leads the defence of the city. And given what Stannis did to Renly...

Either way, I can't imagine they will make Stannis the hero (like Ned) and then we'll see him fail. That would be very depressing, on top of everything else.

I agree it isn't uplifting but we do like Tyrion, who leads the defence of the city. And given what Stannis did to Renly...

I agree - I think a lot will depend on how things are shown in the show. In the book, all I did was root for Tyrion and I'm not a Lannister fan! So it all depends was angle they decide to take, but I feel with Tyrion's popularity, people will be on his side, albeit not on the city's.

Then again if it's shown more from Davos' perspective, which I doubt, it might be people will be cheering him on.

Or, of course, cheering them both on, sadly realizing they cannot both win.

Archived