Nahlim's POV (aGoT)

Nahlim

Well, I was in the middle of A Feast for Crows when I have decided to join a forum and talk about the books, once I've finished reading aFfC. I live in Serbia and we won't get aDwD before april 2012. so I will have to wait before I'm able to join the general discussions and talk about the first four books individually.

I've read A Game of Thrones this summer (after I've watched the series) and, of course, I loved it. At first, I had a different view on the book and the direction the series might take, but four books later, that perception has shifted.

There will be a lot of spoilers ahead, so don't read if you didn't read the first book...

So... Generally speaking, the plot of the book was well rounded, IMO. We have all these characters doing things that set other things in motion and it all culminates with Ned's death and Robb becoming the King in the North. Out of all the books, I think this one works best as a standalone book... Also, it has the best final chapter, IMO. No other book had such a strong ending.

As for the POV characters... Daenerys was my favorite (I believe the show influenced that a lot since Emilia Clarke is such a great actress). Her character has gone through a complete transformation and left you with a feeling of greatness about her (which kinda diminished with the later books, but I'm trying to talk about aGoT as an isolated book).

Ned's and Arya's chapters were also quite good and I enjoyed reading about them very much... You have got to love Arya and I found myself rooting for her strongly right from the get go. Ned's chapters were very well written and were probably the only truly good guy chapters we will ever get from GRRM. In a way, expectations of justice and fairness and genuine goodness die with Ned and affects the reader's perception of the world he/she is gettin himself/herself into.

I also loved Catelyn's chapters most of the time, although I was bored with the Vale ones because I watched the show and knew what was going to happen.

Tyrion's chapters made me like him a little less than after watching the show... I can't really explain why. And though I like his wittiness and sarcasm, I really don't like him that much as a character... I don't hate him. I don't hate any of the characters (except maybe Theon xD), but I don't feel the love for him either.

I hated Sansa at first, but her final chapters made me become a big Sansa fan. Just the feeling that she was stuck with the Lannisters in King's Landing made me feel profoundly sorry for her. Of course, she kinda did it to herself, but she made that mistake because she was naive and innocent... And let's be real, she paid for it severely in the second book.

Jon's and Bran's chapters, IMO, were a complete bore. Sure, with Jon you get the feeling that something great is coming his way, but it certainly isn't happening in this book. And while I do like him as a character, nothing really happens to him... Same goes for Bran. You feel that something is coming, but you know it's not happening anytime soon...

As for other characters, I didn't really care much about Robert. Jaime seemed like a complete ass without morals, while Cersei lelt like she had reasons to be like she is... And Joffrey was downright annoying. I could talk about all the other characters, but I would probably go out of my mind trying to remember all of them, so I am not going to do that... All of them play their parts as they should and I have no complaints about them.

Well, this was kinda long, but I think I said all that I wanted to say. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived