For those struggling through AFFC...

Queen Regent

I'm having trouble with Ironmen chapters. They're slowing me down, making me not want to read the book straight through. I like seeing into Cersei's mind. Brienne's journey is fun. I want to know where she ends up. The Ironmen are new characters and their chapters seem so long. I want to get back to people I know. Theon was fine since he lived in Winterfell. His sister is a tie to him. I'm having trouble getting into his uncles' stories. Still, I fell like ordering ADWD there are new copies for far less than the 35 dollar cover price. I hope that it's better since there are the characters that I love there. My favorite characters in the SoFaI are Tyrion and Bran. I must have a thing for dwarfs and cripples.

same here. I am about halfway through at this point. I really just don't care for the Ironborn. Some of the Drowned God zealot stuff is interesting at least. Brienne is dragging. It's nice to see what Cersei is thinking, but my god she is despicable and a bit boring as well. There isn't really much to her. She cares about herself in the and will do anything to maintain her power. That is really it.

I do like the visit to Dorne though. Great writing.

I started reading AFfC right after I finished ASoS and I'm starting to think that was a huge mistake. So many things happened in ASoS that AFfC really feels slow now. I don't know how I would have felt about it if I had waited a bit longer. I keep asking myself when the book is finally going to take off, because right now nothing is really happening and I'm almost halfway through it. The new POVs seem completely pointless, especially since they don't tell us anything new. We knew about the whole Myrcella/Tommen debacle before, so why did we need an Arys Oakheart chapter to tell us again? It's pretty apparent that Martin is just stalling with this book. Why else would we follow around Brienne, even though we know exactly that she is going the wrong way? It's just frustrating. Well, I really hope it picks up soon ...

I also started this book right after finishing ASOS. ASOS had so much going on and all story lines involved characters we knew and were invested in. I think this is what is making AFFC harder for me to read. I want the story to continue with the people that I have spent so much time getting to know and love/hate! I am only about 1/3 finished with the book and will keep reading, but I am a bit weary of the new characters and slow plot. I do differ than most in that I like the Brianne chapters though!

I'm 425 pages into it and it actually not a bad read for me. The last three books were so full of twists and turns which was so exciting. This book is a little quieter yet exciting in a different way because more about the political struggles and I'm sure it will build up to what may happen in KL eventually. I have to say I really like the Martells and enjoy reading about Dorne.

• 2 weeks later...

It is very hard to read compared to the other books but I swear its just because of the bloody Iron Islands chapters! Urgh so tedious. The rest is really good though, I'm halfway through and it has picked up substantially now the bulk of the Ironborn stuff is finished!

Well I'm not even half way through it, but first I thought I won't like, because so many of my favs are not in it. But that's not so bad, it is good, but well I had on certain chapters the feeling I would like to vomit, because some ugly parts are so ugly well described you can see the death people and you can smell the death and all... but yes a good read at all.

And yes it feels like reading a total different story then the one we know since 3 books. last it means much more names you have to keep in mind reading ADWD (Not that we don't have enough) but sure works out, but it gets hard :drunk:

second read... finding brienne to be okay but repetitive but i enjoy the tidbits of history we are getting from brienne, hotah, and co. Really fills the world in a bit since he is introducing new places now.

I actually didn't find her chapters all that bad. Some interesting things happened there for me, and I've only read the book once... so far.

I have to agree AFFC is tedious. I'm struggling with the all the Drowned men, and with Brienne headed the wrong way... And when is Catlyn going to show up again?

The Ironmen were the hardest part for me, but really all of their stuff is, for the most part, wrapped up by halfway through the book, and I feel like it got much more interesting after those were out of the way. As for Brienne, again, that wasn't so bad for me. Catelyn showing up has been... well, not as good of a thing as I hoped it would be, but it's not dull... that's for sure.

It is very hard to read compared to the other books but I swear its just because of the bloody Iron Islands chapters! Urgh so tedious. The rest is really good though, I'm halfway through and it has picked up substantially now the bulk of the Ironborn stuff is finished!

I think it's hard to read just because the pace starting off is considerably slower than the other three books (ESPECIALLY after reading ASoS). However, it definitely picked up halfway through, and I feel like everyone's final chapters in AFfC ended on interesting notes. I had to immediately pick up ADwD even though I knew it wouldn't really have those people so much as the ones we missed in AFfC.

I'm about halfway through and I'm enjoying most of the chapters, but what I hate is that most chapters in the other books seem to have some major development, discovery or twist in them, but Brienne's chapters are just her going around doing nothing that seems of import (although I'm sure they will develop into something awesome). It just makes her chapters a boring read.

Archived