[TV Spoilers/Book Spoilers] Favorite Added Scenes from S1

The High Sparrow

Tywin Lannister opening the episode by scolding Jaime while <i>skinning a dead stag</i> ... If the show needed a better way to summarize the entire Lion/Direwolf relationship in 10seconds flat, I've yet to find it

I totally missed that detail! I love it as a parallel to the Direwolf/Stag scene at the beginning of AGoT! I'll have to pay more attention to sigil imagery in any 'added' scenes in S2.

There's a few scenes that I found helped the viewer (who had never read the books) realise some of the relationships a bit sooner: When Cersei and Joff were alone in her solar, and he was whinging about getting a scar. That kinda hit the nail on the head very quickly. I didn't really hate Joff too much until the end of the first book, he just seemed like a cry baby mostly. But in the series I hated him instantly.

Found it awesome that one of the scenes that happened in the first series actually DID happen in the 3rd book! Possible spoiler:

When Jaime was calming Cersei down about Bran living. In the first chapter of Jaime's he reflects back on that...

Also, The High Sparrow -- The beginning scene happens in GoT as well. It's not really commented upon but you can see that a stag killed the direwolf mum! (and it was dead as well... iirc)

Yeah! That scene was done beautifully in the show. As someone who only started reading after S1 had ended, I found that the show did a pretty decent job of introducing me to a lot of the main characters. The biggest differences in my opinions about characters between S1 of GoT and after reading AGoT were with respect to Sansa (It took me several books to forgive her for throwing Ned under the bus, probably until the snow Winterfell scene in the Eyrie) and Renly (I found him more interesting/commanding/likable in the book, he seemed more whiny in the show). In general though, it was a pretty faithful introduction in terms of character building.

I totally missed that detail! I love it as a parallel to the Direwolf/Stag scene at the beginning of AGoT! I'll have to pay more attention to sigil imagery in any 'added' scenes in S2.

um.. you're welcome then ^_^ I recommend a nice slow rewatch of the season just before the next one is out! Especially on a biggest screen telly you got! (like in one scene Catelyn is walking so all the Winterfell men bow to her, and then a horse bows too! I'm not kidding)

Its also really odd how because of the age difference, the characters in show come off slightly different than in book. Sansa is only 11 in book after all, so her being extra dumb/naive/trusting is only to be expected of someone so young!

This whole scene, just in case anyone had questions on Theon, and you know... didn't read the book or understand the concept of "Stark ward =/= guest of his own free will"

Luwin: Theon Greyjoy! The lady is our guest.

Theon: I thought she was our prisoner.

Luwin: Are the two mutually exclusive in your experience?

Archived