Who do you want to win the Iron Throne?

Ser Malthred Storm

I change my mind a lot. I think first of all you have to think of the political structure you find desirable. There are two cases I consider:

A. If all the 7 kingdoms are joined under the Iron Throne then it has to be a Targaryen.

My logic with that is that the only reason why some kingdoms bent the knee is the dragons and I suspect that they were more ok surrendering to a completely outside force that is not putting one kingsom over the other. If Baratheons reign, then it's indirectly like the Stormlands have a leg up on the other Kingdoms and therefore why should all the other regions listen to people so far removed from them who can not truly hope to conquer them (i.e: the North and the Vale).

In this case, the best candidates are Dany or Jon, if R+L=J holds trues. Of the two, it seems like Jon has his head a bit less far up his own behind (with regards to being a ruler) so I guess he is a good choice...?

Thing is, I like Dany as a person but it feels like she doesn't like to have her eyes opened and changes at will what she "believes" about Viserys' ramblings. I don't care about how grief stricken she was after sending Jorah away, she should have listened to everything Barristan Selmy had to say even if she was tired and disheartened. A ruler doesn't get to take breaks when things get rough. I have just finished AFFC and so it's been a while since I've seen her in action but most of what I've seen up to ASOS doesn't give me much hope, I feel for the girl and her reactions feel really genuine and natural to me yet I am worried about the queen. I feel like Jon understands that ruling can not be personal, it's not about the ruler and most of the people they rule don't care and probably will never know who they really are unless they change their lives drastically, for the better or for the worse. He would not make ruling about him and his issues, I think. BUT he is alienating Sam and seems to already have complaints from his friends so maybe he has too much distance? Co-rule could be good. A good one could be Daenerys as Queen and Jon as her heir since they need to ensure the continuation of the Targ line and she might be barren.

B. My ideal solution, the dissolution of the Realm into separate entities.

It's ridiculous when you realise the immense cultural and geographical differences which force the inhabitants of the different regions into completely different mindsets. The North, Iron Islands and Dorne should be their own thing with alliances and marriages to enforce the peace. I don't see much point in changing the status of the Vale one way or another since in actuality it wouldn't change much, they're too closed off. I often see people having the Riverlands with the North but that's only because of Catelyn and Ned Stark's marriage. Culturally and ethically, I find them too different to form a viable union in the long term.

In the North, it's easy. It has to be a Stark and they should just follow the laws of succession (Bran or Sansa might be best). In an ideal setting (ha!) all the siblings would be together again and they would all help in their own special way to stabilise and rebuild the North. The Iron Islands would be a lot more sane with Asha as its leader... But I don't know if it would happen.

It gets more complicated in the South because you have to think about good King/Hand combos. For example, I can see Dany with Tyrion (he should be part of the council regardless) as Hand. Stannis seems to have re-shifted his priorities and realised that the Kingship is not about his own personal vendetta so he could be good as Hand but he needs to part with good ole Mel first. I can't think of any other candidates that have demonstrated capability/desire for this and wold be good longterm. Kevan Lannister is good but is too much about the Lannister legacy and I feel a Lannister -even disguised as Baratheon- leadership is not long term good news. The Tyrells unfortunately don't show to be getting better with each generation and I think they are not ideal for when times get rough, they would not know what to do once the Others get real. They are good where they were in AGOT, successful businessmen with friends in the right places. No real intext justifications, just the vibe I'm getting. The QoT herself, whom I absolutely adore, said that they should have stayed out of this mess.

• 2 months later...

I'm rooting for Stannis, because he is the rightful heir of the Seven Kingdoms, and the one who helped The Wall, being the only one to answer to his duties as a King; although I've to admit that Dany problably would make a better king than Stannis, his marriege with the law doesn't give him much flexibility.

In relation to Dany, her father lost the throne by conquest, so she is the ursurper now...

• 3 weeks later...

Stannis may have been a good king once, but now Mel is in his head. Tbh I don't trust his judgement anymore. He's gotten a sort of religious craziness, and might be he's the rightful heir but so was the Mad King.

Dany should win IMO, she seems to have her act together pretty good and has good morals (but knowing GoT that must mean bad things will happen to her) and also she has dragons, which are like flying war machines.

Stannis may have been a good king once, but now Mel is in his head. Tbh I don't trust his judgement anymore. He's gotten a sort of religious craziness, and might be he's the rightful heir but so was the Mad King.

Dany should win IMO, she seems to have her act together pretty good and has good morals (but knowing GoT that must mean bad things will happen to her) and also she has dragons, which are like flying war machines.

Not sure why anyone would think Daenerys would make a good queen. What has she done to convince you that she would be a good leader? This is the same stupid little child that got sold to a rapist warlord like a sack of potato at the farmers market.

She would be a complete disaster. I have every reason to believe she Would/will live up to the Targaryen name. Dany is a spoiled brat she throws temper tantrums when things don’t go her way or heavens forbid when someone tries to tell her she is making a mistake.

She would quite literally destroy Westeros. The only thing Dany has going for her is LUCK. I’m surprised she’s still alive after all the mistakes she’s made.

• 1 month later...

This is an easy question. The simple answer is Sansa will win the Iron Throne. I think she would definitely be the best ruler out of all of them. She has learned from the best anyway's, or at least other rulers. For instance she has been exposed to all of the major players. Little Finger, Cersei, Ned Stark, Tyrion and the Tyrell's. She is young and will learn through experience.

Dany would make a good queen, I really have no way to shoot down that theory. Even if i did i wouldn't because she's okay in my book.

Jon Snow will never sit the Iron Throne, There is just no way. Even if you do believe in R+L=J, The rest of Westros does not and will never.

Tyrion would make a good candidate, but only to us readers and show watchers. Westros would never allow him the throne.

Stannis would definitely make the best King, but i think he would make a better general. Also i have a feeling he will die before he gets there.

So ya i think Sansa will make the best ruler, and that's who i want to sit the Iron Throne.

Archived