Game of Thrones RPG Official Site Opens, 2nd Trailer

Westeros

I don't hate the game, just keeping my expectations subtereanean on the offchance that it turns out to be good I'll be all the more happy.

If I build up this image in my mind that this'll be like being in Westeros as if I was reading the books and high level gameplay I might end up very sad.

It just doesn't seem to have a lot going for it, and no graphics do not make the game, hell, I'm a console player and don't feel all that deprived.

More info on the game. There are a few parts that interest me.

"Each time you gain a level (up to level 15), you earn points that you can spend to unlock stance abilities and hero abilities and upgrade your characteristic and skills."

I wonder if 15 is the level cap, or just the abilities cap. For a thirty + hour game, fifteen levels doesn't seem that much.

"I've seen it compared to Witcher 2, but it's actually closer to the KOTOR style regarding combat system."

I thought Kotor was one of the best game on the Xbox. If they can emulate that combat engine, it should be a pretty solid fighting system.

"Choices that might seem without consequences may turn out to be quite significant in later chapters. "Consequences for your actions" was the motto for the quest designer and the writing team.

We really went all the way with that line of thinking: some choices you make in dialogues can actually ultimately lead to your death (being executed, tortured to death, etc). Hey, like Cersei Lannister says: "When you play game of thrones, you win or you die." So yes, conversation and politics are important in the RPG, but sometimes those choices will be made during gameplay."

That's the perfect motto for any rpg quest designer to take to heart. It seems to me like they really understand the theory of a story heavy rpg. I love that talking shit to superiors will result in death by torture, too. So many rpgs allow you to walk all over everybody, including nobility, without any thing at all happening. If a Westrosi High Lord tells you to do something, you better damn well fucking do it or else.

"We're not playing in the shadows of the characters of the books. Our narrative has its own unique twists, revelations and endings. The story is focused on characters we created to ensure we can go as far as we wanted and avoid this side-story syndrome.

It was absolutely impossible to change the main characters of the novels so we needed some new characters to play with. We definitely did not want to make the game of the novel. We sought to offer a new experience to the player, both in terms of fans and the general public that does not know the license."

I agree 100%. I can experience the novels at anytime by re-reading them, and they're some of the finest works of fantasy out there. I don't see the point of messing with them. I'm way more interested in exploring the World of Westeros than meeting "familiar faces".

The more I read about this game, the more excited I get. Got to say, I'm very happy with the direction they taken.

I'm digging it. I loved Dragon Age and didn't mind the second one. I also love the Mass Effect series and Skyrim. It just comes down to the execution. I have no problem playing a linear style RPG, if anything it allows for unbelievable twists that you simply don't get in open world, sandbox RPGs (think KOTOR).

The graphics may not be top notch but they don't seem to be a hindrance either. As long as it runs smoothly and is free of bugs, I'll be happy. Odd it still doesn't have a release date but I'll be looking to pick it up, especially since I bypassed Kingdoms of Amalur (which actually looks like it has worse graphics than this and doesn't have my beloved Westeros in it).

Now, the side quests are quests you can complete AND they they will have an impact on the main story. I think thats quite enough in non-linear way.

Really looking forward to this game :D

And when will they finnaly release the old-new site again... :stillsick:

First for season 2 we seem to get a lot of imagery for Dany's story for the pre-Qarth, I hope and I don't think the teleplay will spend much time on that, it's more GRRM 'travelog' stuff.

Is anyone slightly disappointed in the briefly seen costume design for Qarth? At least what Dany seemed to be wearing.

All the Westeros , I mean the new stuff, looks great, tho we have not really seen an elaboration of Pyke or Dragonstone that much yet.

I don't know, expected the Qarth stuff to be a bit more elegantly Baroque. Maybe they will CGI that in.

Opps meant to post this elsewhere.

http://www.thesixtha...g-shown-at-gdc/

Here's some info on the Game of Thrones Browser Game. For a browser game it looks pretty impressive.

http://www.GameofThronesMMO.com/

This is the Official Site but it's not open yet.

http://www.gaming-age.com/2012/02/discover-castlewood-in-the-latest-game-of-thrones-rpg-screenshots/

Some Castlewood screens too.

http://www.thesixtha...g-shown-at-gdc/

Here's some info on the Game of Thrones Browser Game. For a browser game it looks pretty impressive.

http://www.GameofThronesMMO.com/

This is the Official Site but it's not open yet.

http://www.gaming-ag...pg-screenshots/

Some Castlewood screens too.

It should be more A Game of Thrones RPG-like (i mean the RPG game). Not even RPG could handle the "all Westeros" story just imagine an MMORPG.

Oh but graphics and all other stuff are really really great. It should be played :)

We don't really know yet, but ArtPlant (creators of the BSG MMO for Bigpoint, and some other games) is working on it, and they have some Funcom veterans on board who helped create Age of Conan and the as-yet-unopened Secret World MMOs. So, we'll see. It'll be browser-based, using the Unity engine for 3D. The screenshots we've seen so far are surprisingly impressive... and there'll be more information this week, as they're revealing more information at GDC.

• 1 month later...

Seems like interest in this has dwindled.

Here is an article from April 26th that confirms there will be a lot of story and text based content http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223823p1.html

I still don't feel like this will turn out to be a lesser version of games already out on the market, but with the benefit of having some Westeros lore.

30+ hours better not include time spent reading.

After Genesis being incredibly boring and repetitive, I was actually very much looking forward to this. The trailer looks promising, aside from the bad lip sync animation. However the combat looked pretty weak after playing games like the Witcher 1&2 and Skyrim. I was a little disappointed to see the combat demo

The game should be Skyrim-style but with a Dragon Age: Origins intro style, where you choose your character info and have a specific intro part for that character. This way you are introduced with an identity, but then given a chance to establish a new identity that you wish for your character while being driven by a major plot guideline (the "main quest").

I just preordered my PS3 version last week. Really looking forward to this. Although it does come out on the same day as Diablo III, so I'll be busy that day with this and Diablo.

I read recently as well that the main focus will be the main questline. There will be a few side quests, but they won't be the typical fetch and return quests. They will have purpose, which I like. Hate games where there are too many side quests and you can't enjoy the main story because you kinda wanna do the sidequests for XP. Kingdoms of Amalur is a good example of this. I LOVE it to pieces, but there are just too many side quests, it distracts you from the main story, and by the time you get to the zones for the main quest they are gray to you.

And I hate seeing how every RPG coming out now has to be "Skyrim". Skyrim's great, and I love it to death as well, but it's not the RPG to end all RPGs. I want a game to have its own style, not to copy and paste Skyrim aspects. If it can blend a few positive elements from Skyrim, whatever. But we don't need "Skyrim set in Westeros", though that'd be awesome. The GoT RPG is focusing on story, really, whereas with Skyrim they focused on the open world, and had a pretty subpar story to it, no matter how awesome the premise may seem.

Archived