The Black Library

Lord of the Night

Finished Nemesis, quite enjoyed it.

Plus, I found the way the story was made reasonable, ie, there was a point to it, very clever. I mean, it's kinda hard to really get into a story where you know the protagonists are doomed to fail. Kill Horus? yeah, right. But Spear's mission made the story have a reason to get written, and the way the premise wasn't overly telegraphed helped.

Started Thousand Sons, cause TommyBob dropped that off.

I finished False Gods a couple of days ago. Actually ended up enjoying it alot. He's still no Abnett, but the book was better than the initial impression I had.

Knowing how it all ends hasn't been much of an issue, watching it all unfold has been quite an experience so far.

Finished Nemesis, quite enjoyed it.

Plus, I found the way the story was made reasonable, ie, there was a point to it, very clever. I mean, it's kinda hard to really get into a story where you know the protagonists are doomed to fail. Kill Horus? yeah, right. But Spear's mission made the story have a reason to get written, and the way the premise wasn't overly telegraphed helped.

Started Thousand Sons, cause TommyBob dropped that off.

Indeed. Nemesis is quite a good stand-alone for the Heresy, and was my second Heresy novel in gold covering.

That and Luc Sedirae's death which I didn't see coming. Not a major player in the Heresy, but I still didn't expect to see him die.

Good choice on A Thousand Sons. Its one of the best, and was the very first HH book I got in gold covering. So its a special part of my collection.

I finished False Gods a couple of days ago. Actually ended up enjoying it alot. He's still no Abnett, but the book was better than the initial impression I had.

Knowing how it all ends hasn't been much of an issue, watching it all unfold has been quite an experience so far.

Personally I prefer McNeill over Abnett but that's just me, and I prefer Aaron Dembski-Bowden over both of them. Though I admit that Abnett's Know No Fear is the best Heresy novel.

That's one of the main draws of the Heresy series. Its easy to know how something ends in either victory or defeat, but knowing exactly how it happened is much better. That and all the new stuff that the series reveals, things that history doesn't remember or never learned the truth of.

LotN

It's not that I had an issue with Nemesis, or knowing how the overall story plays out...it's more wondering (as I started) if the story was going to really add to teh cycle or not, and how the writer was going to manage that.

In my opinion, he did a great job with that aspect. Plus, the overall story was very nice, and would have been enjoyable regardless of the HH aspect.

LotN - Wow. Finished Thousand Sons last night. Holy shit, I was blown away by many parts, and the depiction of Magnus, was amazing.

I haven't been this unhappy, in a good way, with an ending since the final scene of Stalingrad.

Plus, Magnus was always a figure I really wanted to know the story behind.

Anyone read the 40k short story The Last Detail by Paul Kearney?

I'm guessing that this is the same guy who wrote The Monarchies of God. Badass if it is, he's one of my favorite authors and I wasn't aware that he did anything for 40k.

LotN - Wow. Finished Thousand Sons last night. Holy shit, I was blown away by many parts, and the depiction of Magnus, was amazing.

I haven't been this unhappy, in a good way, with an ending since the final scene of Stalingrad.

Plus, Magnus was always a figure I really wanted to know the story behind.

Indeed. Its as good as Abnett's description of Horus in my opinion.

Yeah I felt the same way. Its a harsh ending, and there's plenty of scenes that are bloody epic and some that are just tragic.

I LOVED Ohthere Wyrdmake's fate. The bastard deserved it. Very few people actually deserve to have their souls ripped to shreds and devoured by Daemons but he deserved it for what he did. He betrayed the Thousand Sons, and broke every single facet of the Space Wolves codes of honour doing so. Loyalty to brothers and friends, standing by those who need it and fighting honourable foes, and speaking the truth no matter how bad it is. They did none of those things.

Canis Vertex striding through Tizca while on fire and crushing the Space Wolves is a fantastic image. As is Phael Toron's death taking out a great number of Wolves.

Phosis T'kar's fate was tragic for me. He really didn't deserve to go out like that. But Uthizzar had the harshest fate of all, murdered by his own Primarch. But it might be better that way, Uthizzar would never have turned to Chaos so at least this way his soul wasn't damned. Also Phael Toron and Auramagma dying in defence of Tizca, what happened to Auramagma was quite sad.

If you want to read the opposing side, or at least the events that led up to the Razing of Prospero, you should get Prospero Burns. Its written from the Space Wolves side of things, though it doesn't really show the Razing in great detail, its mainly the stuff that came before. Its good but not as good as it could have been, and imo not one of the Heresy's best. Aside from A Thousand Sons the best HH novels imo are The First Heretic and Know No Fear. Both of those are must-reads for the series.

I'm guessing that this is the same guy who wrote The Monarchies of God. Badass if it is, he's one of my favorite authors and I wasn't aware that he did anything for 40k.

I have, its in the Legends of the Space Marines Anthology.

Slightly spoilery here: Its about a Space Marine and a human child trying to survive in a city while being hunted by Chaos Space Marines. Its a pretty good story, and has an interesting ending.

LotN

Done with both Eisenhorn and Ravenor. Loved them. Another convert has arrived. But it will be a while before I move on in this. Those omnibus books are hard to hold. Damn Black Library for not put them in Ebook, they would have more of my money if The Founding was.

Dude, if you pick that up, you'll be lost. Lost like you just signed on with Nurgle. You buy that in hardcopy, you will never ever be able to resist the rest, and then the single books. And rules. Figures.

Go ahead. Just read a couple chapters at teh store, how could it hurt? It wants you to read it, you deserve to read it. Feel that righteous anger in your breast, knowing they know your hunger, your destiny, and thwart your glory by making the books too big for your mortal hands.

Just a couple chapters, a small taste. You can handle it.

Night - Actually, I own Prospero, read it last year. I thought it was another very good book, but I had a hard time being happy with it, because teh damn cover synopsis was misleading as to what it actually covered. 1K Sons compliments it so well, tho. Now I have the urge to finsih painting my Changer of the Ways and my Tzeentch marines. And horrors, flamers, etc... And my Eldar Titan. And Avatar. But that way lies madness.

Have you read Titanicus? Another great one.

And, I'm pretty much current with Gaunt and Cain. Holding off on Outcasts for a bit.

The scenes with teh Emperor, especially at the end, were so...sad. Odd for a series like that to get me like that, but, wow. The heartbreak on both sides was pretty intense for me

And, you deserve it.

Done with both Eisenhorn and Ravenor.  Loved them.  Another convert has arrived.   But it will be a while before I move on in this.  Those omnibus books are hard to hold.  Damn Black Library for not put them in Ebook, they would have more of my money if The Founding was.

The Founding is a lightweight compared to The Saint and The Lost. Each contain 4 books. Its a great deal if you dont mind the omnibus.

Night - Actually, I own Prospero, read it last year. I thought it was another very good book, but I had a hard time being happy with it, because teh damn cover synopsis was misleading as to what it actually covered. 1K Sons compliments it so well, tho. Now I have the urge to finsih painting my Changer of the Ways and my Tzeentch marines. And horrors, flamers, etc... And my Eldar Titan. And Avatar. But that way lies madness.

Have you read Titanicus? Another great one.

And, I'm pretty much current with Gaunt and Cain. Holding off on Outcasts for a bit.

The scenes with teh Emperor, especially at the end, were so...sad. Odd for a series like that to get me like that, but, wow. The heartbreak on both sides was pretty intense for me

And, you deserve it.

Yeah that was my problem with it, and many others. Its not really about the Razing of Prospero. Its a good book but just not as good as it could have been, or as good as i'd hoped. At least 'Bear' was awesome, loved the final scene with 'Bear' and 'Horus'.

I have Titanicus but I haven't read it. I read about 50 pages of it a year or two ago, put it down for another book and never got back to it.

I am caught up with Cain but only read The Founding for Gaunt. Its a good series imo but not the ultimate BL series as so many say. Personally I think Eisenhorn is stronger work from Abnett than GG.

Hm, what do you mean by that?

LotN

Yup, when Solaris was owned by the Black Library Paul was talking to them about doing a WH or WH40K project. Apparently the BL wanted a fantasy book about rifle-wielding soldiers and Paul was more up for Space Marines (he actually has a completed SF war novel from years back which he's never let anyone look at, to my knowledge). The short story was written in that time. Then his solo work with Solaris opened up and he decided to concentrate on that.

Used book store has a omnibus called Matthais Thulmann, Witch Hunter from the Warhammer fantasy universe. Anyone read it? Worth the five bucks? Or does it fall in the crappy end of tie in stuff?

Used book store has a omnibus called Matthais Thulmann, Witch Hunter from the Warhammer fantasy universe. Anyone read it? Worth the five bucks? Or does it fall in the crappy end of tie in stuff?

I've read it. It's fairly fun. I wouldn't call it "good", but for 5 bucks? Sure.

Thulmann is very good. Its a rare omnibus too, took me some effort to find a copy.

Its about a Witch Hunter who hunts Daemons, Necromancers and Mutants in the Empire. C.L Werner is a great writer, one of my favourites, and so yeah i'd say its definitely worth the five bucks, especially since its hard to find.

If you like I reviewd the omnibus a while back, so it doesn't have my new ranking system in it and its bunched together on account the website format changed and messed most of them up.

http://thefoundingfields.com/2010/09/mathias-thulmann-witch-hunter-by-c-l-werner-reveiw/

Now i'd say its score is roughly anywhere from 8.1 at the least to 8.4 at best, which is a good score.

LotN

About halfway done with Galaxy in Flames by Ben Counter. My least favorite of the three HH novels I have read. I like the story itself, but the writing is pretty clunky, as is the dialogue. If it wasn't part of the opening trilogy, I probably wouldn't bother with it.

Not sure which one I will read next. Possibly The First Heretic or Flight of the Eisenstein depending on how I feel about the sample.

I really liked Eisenhorn, I've read that and The Founding, much preferred the former. I couldn't really get into Gaunt's Ghosts, I found it a bit repetitive.

I've got Ravenor lined up to read next though, is it as good as Eisenhorn? I don't want to be disappointed.

I liked Eisenhorn ALOT. It is what got me hooked into 40k. I actually went into Eisenhorn with the assumption that I would be disappointed with some tie in level crap, despite what I had heard. That was definitely not the case. Ravenor is even better. Plus, the first book in the next trilogy is coming this year, so it's a good time to start.I like the Gaunts Ghost series as well, but Eisenhorn and Ravenor are both better. GG really picks up in Necropolis though.

I really liked Eisenhorn, I've read that and The Founding, much preferred the former. I couldn't really get into Gaunt's Ghosts, I found it a bit repetitive.

I've got Ravenor lined up to read next though, is it as good as Eisenhorn? I don't want to be disappointed.

Just finished Ravenor about a week ago. Don't know if it is better, but it is at least as good. Something about Eisenhorn as a character struck me. But I love the way Ravenor's story expanded with each book.

Oh, the short stories in Eisenhorn were better though.

I grabbed that Witch Hunter Omnibus, though it will be a bit before I get to it. Hope I don't need back story, it will be my first in the Warhammer proper universe, only read the two Abnett 4k so far.

Cheers for the advice, I'll get started on Ravenor in the next few days. It was either that or start Ender's Game.

Yeah I really liked Eisenhorn's character too, and the way he slowly became more heretical.

About the next book in the trilogy, is that going to be following Bequin and her story?

Archived