What is the purpose of UnCat?

alienarea

She is Nisa Nisa and as soon Ned Starks steal pierce her heart the sword will become Lightbringer (the true Lightbringer) and the person who hod the sword must bring it together with Thoros to AA, (I think it will be Jaime)

Huh? I don't remember a single mention of this. Have I missed something?

I was thinking the same thing. He thinks of Robb with snowflakes in his hair and Robb telling him he can't inherit WF but I don't remember him thinking about naming children!

I think I recall him thinking about having a wife and child but he thought he shouldn't dare to dream of such things. (This was before the NW vow).

It's weird but I like Uncat a lot more than I liked alive Cat. She seems to me to be a person who is using her second chance at life to "right some wrongs".

Oh sure, if you consider murdering scores of innocent people simply because of their last name to be "righting" wrongs

I think that UnCat's ultimate purpose will be to provide an aesop about blind hatred and vengance destroying the soul. Even Robert "kill every Targ" Baratheon realized at the end that that shit isn't the way.

. . . and how will UnCat come by this realization? Well let's just say that I think the trees are going to speak to her.

Oh sure, if you consider murdering scores of innocent people simply because of their last name to be "righting" wrongs

I think that UnCat's ultimate purpose will be to provide an aesop about blind hatred and vengance destroying the soul. Even Robert "kill every Targ" Baratheon realized at the end that that shit isn't the way.

. . . and how will UnCat come by this realization? Well let's just say that I think the trees are going to speak to her.

In Westeros, even the trees drink blood -- especially those talking trees. UnCat should hang those Freys from weirwood trees and see what happens. Or perhaps she could just festoon weirwood branches with the entrails of her enemies like a good Northerner.

Huh? I don't remember a single mention of this. Have I missed something?

I only remember him saying it once.

"...A son was something Jon Snow had never dared dream of, since he decided to live on the Wall. I could name him Robb. Val would want to keep her sister's son, but we could foster him at Winterfell..He wanted it, Jon knew then."

I'm glad he didn't though because Rhaegar's grandchild shouldn't be named Robb who was probably named for Robert. That's worse than Rhaegar Frey being the father of Robert Frey.

I think Un-Cat is also the personification of the opposite of the wights. The dead brought back in the service / under the power of a god. There haven't been any conversations with any wights (depending on what Coldhands is), so this just seems like the opposite end of the same spectrum.

And if her goal is revenge, does that give a window into what the Others intentions are too?

She isn't hanging based on last name, she is hanging those who were present at the Red Wedding. The Merret Frey epilogue makes it pretty clear.

Only Arya and genocidal boarders want all the Freys dead.

Given what Lem says "she wants her son back" or Thoros "justice was a nice dream", she doesn't think she is "righting" wrongs, either. She knows she is about revenge.

And if her goal is revenge, does that give a window into what the Others intentions are too?
No, since Beric wasn't like that and so we know Catelyn's thirst for revenge come from, well, being Catelyn (she speaks many times about "killing them all" when alive, too), not from being undead.

I maintain she has to have a use beyond simple revenge. If it was about offing Roose or some Freys, a random "good guy" could do it, and Martin wouldn't need to bring her back from the dead (Roose is most likely dead by the time Jon receives that famous letter anyway). At the very least, if it's not to be used for its geopolitical potential (resistance in the Riverlands is big, for any anti-Lannister movement), it has to be a game-changer for both Brienne and Jaime, and propel one of those to be relevant to the bigger plot.

I maintain she has to have a use beyond simple revenge. If it was about offing Roose or some Freys, a random "good guy" could do it, and Martin wouldn't need to bring her back from the dead (Roose is most likely dead by the time Jon receives that famous letter anyway). At the very least, if it's not to be used for its geopolitical potential (resistance in the Riverlands is big, for any anti-Lannister movement), it has to be a game-changer for both Brienne and Jaime, and propel one of those to be relevant to the bigger plot.

I suppose the question is, can UnCat be made to see beyond short term revenge in killing Jaime to use him for some plot to recapture Riverrun? I don't know what level of consciousness or mental capabilities she has left.

It seems unlikely Jaime has been hanged and nobody got the news, since one of the Lannister loyalists in the Riverlands should have brought the news to Kings Landing and either Kevan or Cersei.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I also think she's needed to resolve the Brienne/Jaime plotline. The last we saw of them, Brienne was apparently leading Jaime into a trap set by the BwB, so I believe they will make him stand trial and UnCat will order Brienne to execute him - forcing her to make a final decision between her loyalty to Catelyn and her loyalty to Jaime.

Yes but I think in the end, she is choosing to save Podrick...

• 3 months later...

Oh please no.

I like the "gods' instrument of retribution" idea, and the restoration of a Stark/Tully power base in the Riverlands. I've actually fiddled with the idea of the Riverlands, the North and the Vale uniting as one big northern-ish kingdom when all is said and done.

A thought just crept into my mind - although hardcore Dany, Aegon and Stannis fans are going to hate me for it.

As well as possibly killing Freys and wishing to be reunited with the rest of her family, is it not inconceivable to suggest that UnCat may have a crucial role to play in restoring the Riverlands - Winterfell - Vale alliance, which could possibly help pave the way for a certain former NW LC to eventually claim his inheritance?

IF J=R+L and UnCat gets to find out about it, it would be conceivable, would it not, for her to throw her weight behind the cause, which could also see her possibly reunited with the remainder of her family?

UnCat sends Jaime to kill Cersei?

When reading another poster's comments who reckoned that UnCat would go to King's Landing to strangle Cersei herself if she could, I immediately thought that it could be Jaime too.

Like other posters have said on here, UnCat will probably meet with Jaime soon and they might need to have that long awaited conversation.

Furthermore, we are aware that Cersei wanted Sansa to be searched for, brought back to King's Landing and possibly to stand trial for Joffrey's murder - at the same time, Brienne was looking for her following an oath made to reunite her with her mother. Could there be a connection with the Valonquar prophecy?

Just like Brienne was given the opportunity to choose her and Podrick's lives over Jaime's, he could possibly be given the same opportunity - Cersei's life in return for his own.

Indeed, given Cersei's own path to self-destruction and Jaime's new-found hostility towards her, this might not be too difficult a decision for him to make in the long run.

Catelyn's spark may serve as the prototype. She and Beric were the accidental discovery, the test model; the next performance of this ability to spark the dead to life may be more polished and perfected so that it accomplishes more fully the kind of thing that's worthy of prophecy or story climax. Cat's existence will have its own arc conclusion, I'm sure, but her real role might just be to clue us in that some greater manifestation of Warm Zombiehood is coming, so that it doesn't seem to come out of nowhere when it arrives. It'll fit into the existing framework Catelyn's oddessey has provided us with.

Somebody above said something about Martin's planet having a different relationship between the living and the dead. Like maybe the living are about to rediscover that they occupy a precarious niche, that they aren't as separated from death as they believe during sunlit summers. Their living nature is perhaps intertwined with the "life cycle" of dead things in a surprising way that has no corollary in our world. (Like how Damphair plays with death, and may do so in a more real way now that he can (with the return of magic)). The Others may actually be here to cross-pollenate with us so that the next generation of their cold-life can be born or quickened or seedlings of Cold life secured for future germination, etc. That may be the real Mission that sends them into our lands, and we don't like it so we built the wall, which only forced them to become more antagonistic and brutal toward us in order to win through and pollenate with the living. That could be the manner in which they're not as evil as they appear at first sight? We've forced them into extremely aggressive behavior in order to continue their species due to how we got extremely defensive towards them when Brandon the Builder cut us off from all contact with 'em.

• 10 months later...

It's more then Freys, the last person she saw was Roose Bolton telling Robb that Jamie Lannister gives his regards, I know some think Roose will not die or hope he doesn't but if he isn't dead in Winterfell Mother Stark is gonna pay him a visit and I hope he's flayed from toe to head and tied to Walder the spiteful.

Did Jamie Lannister actually know what Roose was planning to do at the red wedding? I don't remember a scene in the book where those two discussed that.

Archived