What is the purpose of UnCat?

alienarea

To piss me off together with Dany and Sansa that are alive and don't deserve to be.

Most people in Westeros don't deserve to be alive, tbh.

But I rather like Stoneheart, hope she'll get some more shit done, concerning Freys and Boltons.

I like this idea. They'll pull their own Red Wedding. Tom O'Sevens is already there and Daven Lannister — the new bigshot in town with Kevan and Tywin dead, Cersei disgraced, Tyrion fled and Jaime missing — is getting married. Too good to pass up. There are way too many rogue elements in the Riverlands (the Brotherhood, the Blackfish, Nymeria's wolfpack, a possible straggling northern army, the prisoners being transferred from the Twins) for something crazy not to happen.

Oh, I rather like the idea! And, I agree that that the Riverlands are going to witness some major events. And... if Blackfish really escaped with Jeyne in tow... running into Jaime and/or unCat would provide a couple of most interesting situations.

For some reason the most unforgivable thing about RW for me was what the Freys done with Robb's and Catelyn's dead bodies.

Seconded. Now, isn't it nice that this decision has come back so nicely to kick their asses? If unCat could somehow command Nymeria's wolfpack, she would have a splendid army on her hands.

Now, aren't some Freys going to be really really sorry they didn't bury her properly?

I believe they already are, though they don't know it yet.

When Brienne swears her sword to Cat in CoK and they are speaking of revenge for the deaths of Ned and Renly respectively, Cat says she would go to KL and strangle Cersei herself if she could.

She could be the Valonquar. It's throwaway lines like these that always come back to come true.

Please excuse me if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything using forum search.

What is the purpose of UnCat for the story?

Someone else could have started hanging Freys for the Red Wedding, for example it could have been a good entry point for Howland Reed into the story.

Someone else could have been hunting for Jaimie Lannister, even without him being hunted the plot isn't diminished.

Will she be the one to kill Roose Bolton?

I think Jaime needed an up-close reckoning with UnCat for how he failed to return her daughters. Also, UnCat served to kick Brienne's storyline into gear, after wandering forever and only learning that at one point, the Hound had Arya.

UnCat is also the only witness to Robb's murder by Roose Bolton, after he uttered the infamous "Jaime Lannister sends his regards!" line. That line is probably the biggest reason UnCat was created - she needs to confront Jaime about it personally.

Not everything dies, Mr. Mulder.

It gets the most out of the "wraith character slot". This way Ned will get to weigh in at the conclusion, with Cat speaking for him. So if there ever is a reckoning for all of the crap that's happened, having Cat there to witness it brings us closer to full circle than any of the living characters could.

Heh, I like that quote (loved that show!).

I think you have a good point, too. I just hope UnCat is rational enough to see past her vengeance and serve that kind of purpose.

When Brienne swears her sword to Cat in CoK and they are speaking of revenge for the deaths of Ned and Renly respectively, Cat says she would go to KL and strangle Cersei herself if she could.

She could be the Valonquar. It's throwaway lines like these that always come back to come true.

She isn't a little brother, or even little sibling, though. Cat is the oldest and Brienne is an only child.

UnCat is also the only witness to Robb's murder by Roose Bolton, after he uttered the infamous "Jaime Lannister sends his regards!" line. That line is probably the biggest reason UnCat was created - she needs to confront Jaime about it personally.

:agree:

This is why I believe the Crackpot theory that Edmure will strangle Cersei, being Cat's little brother and all. Also he is being sent to Casterly Rock, where I reckon Cersei will end up at somepoint.

I also think she's needed to resolve the Brienne/Jaime plotline. The last we saw of them, Brienne was apparently leading Jaime into a trap set by the BwB, so I believe they will make him stand trial and UnCat will order Brienne to execute him - forcing her to make a final decision between her loyalty to Catelyn and her loyalty to Jaime.

I like this idea. They'll pull their own Red Wedding. Tom O'Sevens is already there and Daven Lannister — the new bigshot in town with Kevan and Tywin dead, Cersei disgraced, Tyrion fled and Jaime missing — is getting married. Too good to pass up. There are way too many rogue elements in the Riverlands (the Brotherhood, the Blackfish, Nymeria's wolfpack, a possible straggling northern army, the prisoners being transferred from the Twins) for something crazy not to happen.

This seems like the ideal way to break the Frey/Lannister hold on the Riverlands. I think she'll play a part in sending Jaime off on whatever will be his final quest/plot arc, but above all she's going to be the one who gets the Freys (the other Starks are likely to be too busy elsewhere). I've no idea how she'll die, though. Maybe she'll supernaturally succumb to her wounds when she believes that the Freys have been destroyed and has heard news from the North that the Boltons are gone as well.E

ETA: I think it would be a waste of story if she was just killed by Jaime or Brienne and her war against the Freys never caused more than a few individual losses. Why revive her only so that Jaime can "prove" his redemption by killing the mother of the boy he crippled, a woman who is included among the Starks and Tullys he sword never to raise arms against? IMO, either she kills him or, more likely, sends him on a mission and continues killing Freys until she meets some unpredictable end.

In so far as her own story is concerned, I think her only remaining purpose is to push the Jaime and Brienne storyline towards its conclusion and to gain ultimate revenege against the Freys for the Red Wedding. The more intriguing question is what she can accomplish with her death, presuming she has the power to revive someone.

Considering that Beric and Catelyn are basically the same resurrection I think we should be asking which was the important one.

Did Beric only get his resurrections only so that he could pass the flame to Cat? Or was it Berics resurrection that was important?

In the second case Beric had a specific purpose in the story, but that must have been completed. So who gets restored with the flame of life is no longer important and Lady Stoneheart gets swapped for the Lightening Lord which makes a more interesting story. They both have the same role as leader of the BwB but under Stoneheart the brotherhood is falling further and going darker.

I am becoming convinced that Beric's purpose was to introduce resurrection earlier in the story (CoK) so that that it would not come as a great shock when reintroduced late in the story (as I believe it will be in tWoW).

It's weird but I like Uncat a lot more than I liked alive Cat. She seems to me to be a person who is using her second chance at life to "right some wrongs". I keep hoping that Uncat and Jon will both live long enough for her to make amends for being mean to him those 14 years. It's an impossible dream, I know. She's so far from the Wall and his parentage is still unquestioned.

It's weird but I like Uncat a lot more than I liked alive Cat. She seems to me to be a person who is using her second chance at life to "right some wrongs".

still isn't it awful that she is unable to understand you tells her the truth and who's not? She did it with Tyrion while she was alive, she does it again with Brienne.... I don't know what to think of this girl :dunno:

Uncat's purpose is basically what she says at the end of A game of Thrones when she is trying to console Robb after Eddard's murder (we know he was no traitor so I will not say he was executed like a criminal), "first, we get the girls back, then we will kill them all".

First, I figured Uncat was created for use as a solid plot twist and shock value. The believed soon-to-be-long-dead with no chance of justice suddenly shows up to confront the wrongdoers, and left as a major cliffhanger. In context it makes for interesting writing.

Additionally, a lot was left unfinished. Uncat as the witness of a mass crime that is still talked about, the missing status of her children, Brienne and Jaime, another representation of the growing power of that particular religion etc

On a side note, makes me wonder if it somehow connects to the whole "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger" line. Granted, it's a stretch since that is an ironborn line and we all know Cat is the exact opposite of that culture, but there is a sense of irony here.

I think is the biggie, the more I think about it. She has to confront Jaime about it, true. I'm sure Jaime never dreamed that his little throwaway quip would end up getting used how it was, and something tells me that Jaime as he is now would be disgusted by it. Also, while the northmen probably suspect that Roose had some role to play in the Red Wedding, none of them save UnCat know that Roose killed Robb personally. If they did no amount of Dreadfort and Twins lackeys could save him.

Archived