Skyrim: Dying with a monotonous regularity

Hereward

can't make any decent money in this game. The most I've ever had was 5k and that was gone once I bought the house in Whiterun but since then I can barely get it above 3k. None of the merchants I can find have anything more than say 500 and I need 25k for the house in Solititude. Damn shitty adventurer based economies!
Petty soul gem, iron dagger, absorb health sells for something like 600 gold. So, for a petty soul gem (40 I think, if purchased, but they're EVERYWHERE) iron ore (6?) and leather straps (free...? something cheap), you can make ridiculous amounts of money on your investment. The only issue is soul harvesting, but if you use conjuration at all, one of the conjuration perks gives you free SoulTrap on all bound weapons.

Also, for people on the PC, I'm just going to leave these links here.: Important mods:

http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3865 Extra hotkeys, including allowing putting away weapons to allow sword/magic users to parry.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4862 A categorized favorites menu. No more long lists!

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3863 Decent UI upgrade, only for items so far, but magic is coming. No idea if it plays nice with the above.

Extra hotkeys has made playing a mage actually easy again. I got really tired of the magic menu when I was switching between 3 different elements, illusion cc, and then buffing up with alteration and conjuration before charging into the fight, all with restoration in there for fun.

I've found myself making up stories as I wander from place to place in order to pass the time. For instance, when I found Lost Valley Redoubt, that big Forsworn camp with the waterfalls in the Reach, I thought it would make a nice home once all the Forsworn and hagravens were cleared out. I even thought of inviting people to settle there (no Forsworn, Stormcloaks, or other racist Nords) and turning it into a town with me as mayor/protector. I'd live in the tower at the very top. We'd raise goats, sell the wool and cheese, maybe grow grapes and make wine--anything we could sell to outsiders. Then, once we were big and self-sufficient enough, we'd secede from the Reach. It's a pretty easy place to defend without needing an army to hold it.

Was this a bug for me or is this normal?

Setting this as a spoiler since it may be not be known by all I spose. After I completed the companions quests & became a werewolf, I roared/shouted during that first cut scene and Lydia ran away, leaving me as a companion. I had read that they did not care - can I not use the roar/shou while I have Lydia or a non Companion companion?

As far as money, I'm playing on a 360 so no mods, but I'm still sitting on about 9k with a house in Whiterun at level 22.

Going to start levelling Smithing - it;s about 40ish. what I have seen is to continue to make leather goods, jewelry and iron daggers, but does anyone know when that trails off and it's time to start on the higher level armors? Found the dwarven ruins and started picking up dwemer metal, so i have a few hundred pounds of that waiting in the house when I start to go level it as well.

Going to start levelling Smithing - it;s about 40ish. what I have seen is to continue to make leather goods, jewelry and iron daggers, but does anyone know when that trails off and it's time to start on the higher level armors? Found the dwarven ruins and started picking up dwemer metal, so i have a few hundred pounds of that waiting in the house when I start to go level it as well.

It never does. You can keep on raising smithing via iron daggers all the up to 100; which I recommend actually because otherwise it gets rather time consuming and expensive. Whenever I reached a new smithing material I would make myself a set of it, upgrade it, wait until I was a few levels higher from other actions to avoid overleveling, then make a few dozen iron daggers to reach the next smithing tier.

Thank Ctulhu I went searching for a solution instead of wasting more time trying to get through a levered door I couldn't find the lever for. I'd entered the wrong way and had been going backwards through the area. No wonder all the traps were backwards. :bang:

Count me among those who've lost Lydia. She was following me through some mountains and she never caught back up. That was a couple of days ago.

Also, count me among those who didn't fall for the chicken. It was just suspicious. I did, after reading these threads, save and go after a giant, just to see how far I'd fly.

I'm a little late to the Skyrim party, just started the game up a Monday ago, but I gotta say that I am loving this game.

I was sick during the week so I didn't play as much as I wanted to(off work for the holidays) and I ended up starting a Dark Elf who I played as a sword and shield/heavy armor guy. I put about 16 hours during the week into and enjoyed him.

Then on Friday morning I was finally feeling good and I decided to do a pure mage(never really played a mage in Oblivion) and when I looked at the clock next(or so it seems to me lol) I had over 18 hours invested in my flame throwing mage and I was loving that character.

Then on Saturday(new years eve) I had a family party at my house and afterwards I sat down to play Skyrim. I thought to myself that the Dark Elf wasn't the race I should have picked for my warrior/smith, I should use an Orc.

Now here I sit, I have 54 hours in this game(16 with the dark elf, 18 with wizard and 20 with my Orc) and I have yet to go meet the greybeards after becoming a Thane of whiterun, lol. I always get side tracked on that long and winding journey.

The game has had some great moments for me and I'm loving every minute of it.

edit: I also wanted to ask if anyone else feels bad when the accidently kill thier companion? I really liked the house carl chick you get in whiterun(lydia?), but I accidently hit her with my flame breath shout and found her dead afterwards. I felt a little sad, but didn't want to waste time with a reload and just went into town and picked up another pack mule, erm, companion, lol.

I have killed Lydia sooo many times. I am a compulsive saver because of this.

Usually its a stray lightning bolt, but she always seems to run right in front of me as I'm loosing an arrow. Thankfully thats normally not enough to kill her.

My favorite time killing her was after a super tough battle. I'd just finished off the dungeon boss after a strategic withdrawal, and she came running up behind me as I turned around. I blasted her halfway across the room, before realizing it was her.

If you have just lost her rather than killed her you can usually find her by fast traveling or entering a dungeon type place. Failing that I have found her waiting for me back at Whiterun.

I felt more guilty about handing the pulchritudinous Redguard exile over to the Alik'r. I did try killing them. Lots and lots of times. But sometimes you have to eventually accept the reality of the situation.

I am level 37 with 11k gold... I am on my third companion (Uthgerd the Unbroken) after Lydia was killed by a Draugr Scourge with a shout and Marcurios was killed by a dart trap that NEVER STOPPED firing. Seriously after he died I jumped some stuff back to Whiterun and when I came back it was still shooting... This was the dungeon southeast of Riften where the Imperial/Stormcloak (depending on your bent) wants you to retrieve the Dragon Priest mask from within.

(null)

Uhm, money doesn't seem to be the problem for my dragonborn. The house in Whiterun? Order my housecarl Lydia to chop wood for two days straight in front of the Bannered Mare, sell it to the innkeep - BOOM! House done. Grab something to read in between the orders, though ;)

Another method for regular money-infusions: learn the transmute (I think, I play the German version) spell; I found mine in a dungeon nw of Whiterun. Transmutes iron ore to silver ore to gold ore. Go buy as much iron ore as you can get: 2 Iron ore (40G) ---> 2 silver ore ---> 2 gold ore ---> 1 gold bar ---> 2 gold rings (150 G each). Presto! You have broken the economy, congratulations!

Also, I can't wait to have the perk points to spare to be able to forge dragon armour. Finally get some use and money out of those oodles of dragon bone/scales i've been hoarding since the one that attacked Whiterun. Ka-ching!

Since I was a warrior I was boosting stamina and I picked the perk that adds 100 lbs. to your weight limit and has your worn armor no longer count against. I just picked up every piece of armor and weapons I came across and sold them after each dungeon. I spent my money pretty freely and I don't think I ever went below 15,000 gold, even after big housing expenses.

Money became a joke early on for me, but I think it has to do with the order that I completed some of the quests.

If you are constantly maxing out your weight, stop picking up armor and big weapons to sell. Take a look at the weight/cost ratio. Robes and smaller weapons are great.

Joining the thieves guild early on is a big help to be able to sell. Once you start doing the side quests for Vex and Delvin and begin to reestablish the guild, money becomes trivial. You get fences in all the cities with 4k gold each, 4 more merchants within the guild, and even the roaming cat people become fences.

I'm currently level 52, have 4 houses, and still have 160k gold. I stopped picking up anything to sell about 5 levels ago.

I don't understand how you're having trouble selling things. Each city has, at least, 4 merchants that will buy most of your items. Smiths for weapons and armor, alchemists, wizards, and those junk stores will buy pretty much everything.

The problem is money, not merchants.

Each merchant tops out at about 1000 septims unless you mod the game, which you can easily bring back from just a simple dungeon between light armour, enchanted stuff and jewellery. The only merchant that accepts everything is the junk store owner, you can only sell specific stuff at the other merchants.

So you have to run around to each of them making sure to only sell them their specific stuff and then go back to the junk store merchant and unload the remains. And even so I frequently had to buy stuff off of him to give him back enough money to clean me out (I'd buy arrows, usually. No added weight!). Then I installed that "Merchants have 10K" mod and it's smooth sailing now.

So far I'm loving the game... wow.

I'm a lvl 11 Nord focusing on one handed swords, Destruction and the bow.

Now, tell me if this is normal... I am mince-meat for snowy sabre cats... they are faster, stronger and yes, smarter than my Nord... they make a pulp out of me in two strikes. Is this normal, or is my character a bloody weakling?

I'm perking Speech so that I can sell anything to any merchant, buying arrows from Smiths and selling them everything.

(null)

I'd advise against that. Money is only a short term problem since there isn't really much that your going to abe able to buy besides the houses and horses. The perks though... there are more of them than there are levels available to you. Better to put them into something that will count more in the long term.

What did everyone think of the Dark Brotherhood questline? I liked the wedding and the final part bits, but I dunno...there was just something so cool about Oblivion's questline when you realized you'd been slaughtering all the higher-ups, and when you had to kill your brothers. That said, in regards to Skyrim -- eee, Lucien LaChance!

Sabre cats are big ol' meanies. You kinda have to dance around them and not get hit in order to beat them.

...or bring your trusty steed to tag-team that pussy(cat).

Archived