Skyrim: Dying with a monotonous regularity

Hereward

Had that problem a few times. I just move on and they find you eventually. Whether it is going the long way or suddenly appearing and attacking an enemy I meant to sneak attack, they appear. I lost mine a few times because she felt it necessary to go wolf hunting. I tried to explain that we were saving the world and not chasing after every wolf.

Had that problem a few times. I just move on and they find you eventually. Whether it is going the long way or suddenly appearing and attacking an enemy I meant to sneak attack, they appear. I lost mine a few times because she felt it necessary to go wolf hunting. I tried to explain that we were saving the world and not chasing after every wolf.

:laugh:

Yeah, generally if I lose her, I can fast travel and she'll show up. This was in a cave though, and the only way onto the tower was to jump/fall onto it, and the only way off was to jump off. There was a ladder lying flat on the tower that led to a crenellation in the wall. After much tedius manuevering, I was eventually able to set it up just right that I could hit her with my shield and she'd fall right off. Took me a solid 20 minutes though. Ugh. Never. Again.

Speaking of people just randomly showing up though, I did the quest to get the horse Frosty to the Luis Leheanbuergenerf guy (whatever his name is), but somehow I messed up. Frosty would attack Luis and follow me, so then Luis attacked me. Apparently he can't be killed, so I just took Frosty and rode off into the sunset. Now Luis shows up outside of random holds, ready to attack. I don't know what happened to the horse.

Because my mom's here visiting for a couple of weeks I haven't played much. :(

I have a number of words learned but haven't killed enough dragons to get the souls. Is there anyway to find/lure/kill more - other than just wandering in hopes of running into one. I hate having to traverse the entire world instead of fast traveling.

dalThor,

Every time I fast travel anywhere it seems I run into a dragon. I have learned at least ten words, and still have five dragon souls still waiting to be used. I don't know if I am just incredibly lucky on this, but maybe try fast traveling to stables outside of holds and see what happens.

Generally if you fast travels to some of the Holds you will get a dragon flying around.

Theres always the search the map for the Dragon symbols, generally on mountains and you'll find a dragon and a word on the wall. One of them even has one of the Dragon Priests with the helm. The dragons at those places seem to respawn after awhile as well, so its worth it to go have a look now and then,

I have a number of words learned but haven't killed enough dragons to get the souls. Is there anyway to find/lure/kill more - other than just wandering in hopes of running into one. I hate having to traverse the entire world instead of fast traveling.

A shortage of dragons? I'd never have thought it possible! Everywhere I go, I seem to run into the buggers - practically every time I exit a dungeon, for example. (I exaggerate. But not by much.) Annoyingly, they often just fly about for ages, not getting close but not bloody going away either. I have to hit them with a couple of arrows or spells to get their attention, and I'm a terrible shot. Tried just hiding once: the dragon was still there hours later, even though it hadn't actually bothered to attack me before I hid.

The trouble with just wandering around the wilds looking for dragons is that they frequently come down to pick a fight with a passing creature, who will then attack you if you get involved - not worth mentioning if it's a wolf, slightly tricky if it's a bear, but if it's a mammoth, ugh. (Particularly when the giant shows up too.) But they do attack towns too. The only problem there is not killing a town guard by mistake in the battle (yes, my son did this. Hello, 1000 septim bounty for murder!)

This was in a cave though, and the only way onto the tower was to jump/fall onto it, and the only way off was to jump off. There was a ladder lying flat on the tower that led to a crenellation in the wall. After much tedius manuevering, I was eventually able to set it up just right that I could hit her with my shield and she'd fall right off. Took me a solid 20 minutes though. Ugh. Never. Again.

Pretty creative solution. I'd have left her there. :P

Pretty creative solution. I'd have left her there. :P

I know, but...I'm just too attached...to all the loot she carries for me.

Side question: I know that your followers can't die unless you kill them, but is that the same for dogs? Vigilance died on me once (but I had just saved so it was cool), and I'm pretty sure I didn't hit him. If that's the case, then I need to keep him safely locked in my house in Markarth, because I wouldn't be able to stand the trauma of him dying.

Side question: I know that your followers can't die unless you kill them, but is that the same for dogs? Vigilance died on me once (but I had just saved so it was cool), and I'm pretty sure I didn't hit him. If that's the case, then I need to keep him safely locked in my house in Markarth, because I wouldn't be able to stand the trauma of him dying.

Not sure about dogs dying - thinking about it none of mine ever did. However, every time I try to keep a dog in one of my houses he leaves me after a while, even the one I paid good money for. Anyone knows if there's a way around it?

So I killed another dragon last night but it didn't seem to unlock any of the words I had.

I'm a moron. I may have killed enough to unlock the half-dozen words I know. I just googled and found this:

"To actually learn a new shout, once you have discovered the word wall and have a dragon soul to use, you need to manually activate it in the shouts menu. Select the shout and press the Activate button. It should be shown on your screen, but I believe the buttons are:

• R on PC
  • X on Xbox
  • â–¡ on PS3"

I'll try it when I get a chance to play again.

I can see that point. But nowadays I have about 30,000 septims in cash and two houses in which to store interesting objects, spare potions, etc. so I find that my companion's 'beast of burden' duties are limited.

Side question: I know that your followers can't die unless you kill them

Sadly not true. Generally, they'll yield once their health gets low and the bad guys will stop attacking them, but not invariably. Sometimes they get killed. I've had it happen to Lydia a couple of times and once to Erik (although with Erik I'd just saved, so he got a second chance).

Sadly not true. Generally, they'll yield once their health gets low and the bad guys will stop attacking them, but not invariably. Sometimes they get killed. I've had it happen to Lydia a couple of times and once to Erik (although with Erik I'd just saved, so he got a second chance).

Mostly it's when you or enemies use AOE spells that hit your companions when they're down, giving them the coup de grace and finishing them off. I had it happen with the dog follower you find in a an abandoned shack. (good riddance too, his AI is terrible and got me stuck more tmes than I can count

I can see that point. But nowadays I have about 30,000 septims in cash and two houses in which to store interesting objects, spare potions, etc. so I find that my companion's 'beast of burden' duties are limited.

Nice! I'm up to about 11k and have the house in Markarth, but she carries around the weapons that I always mean to disenchant to learn their secrets, but never do.

Hunh. I've never had that happen to Janessa. One time I was in a cave that was too tough for me, so I was sneaking around picking off some enemies, when I suddenly realized I'd lost her. Turns out she had charged right in and had taken out all of the tough mages. She *must* have gone down several times, but I guess she just kept getting back up.

Sounds like a Lannister.

Not sure about dogs dying - thinking about it none of mine ever did. However, every time I try to keep a dog in one of my houses he leaves me after a while, even the one I paid good money for. Anyone knows if there's a way around it?

Not sure. I had Meeko with me for a long time but he just up and disappeared one day. I forget where I was exactly, but I think I was in the middle of clearing a dungeon. I thought maybe he got lost or something, but it's been almost a week and he hasn't returned so maybe he died. Sad. I miss him.

I've got a stray dog and my wife living with Lydia in Breezehome. Makes for a nice busy homecoming, though I do get a little pissed when I find Faendel there occasionally trying to chat up the missus.

Nice! I'm up to about 11k and have the house in Markarth, but she carries around the weapons that I always mean to disenchant to learn their secrets, but never do.

Well, if you have the house in Markarth you have your own Arcane Enchanter, so there's no excuse for such laziness! :P

I've got a stray dog and my wife living with Lydia in Breezehome. Makes for a nice busy homecoming, though I do get a little pissed when I find Faendel there occasionally trying to chat up the missus.

Well in his defence... You did actually help him romance her earlier, given she only married you because of a flipping amulet she probably actually loves him, sorry to break it to you that way! Take him as a follower and kill him in some stray cave, problem solved :P

Archived