Who is the legitimate Monarch at this point?

James Nicholls

Would an Estermont then be a claimant? I would say no. The Estermonts married into the Baratheon family. The Martells married into the Targeryn family. Therefore, anyone with the closest Baratheon blood claim would be next in line. The Baratheon family tree does not fill in enough info for us to spec.

The Lannisters are on the throne via suberfuge. People follow Joffrey, Tommen because they honestly believe them to be true or don't credit the rumors or don't care. Currently though - Baratheon is the ruling house. That is why Cersei is so intent on keeping her affair with Jamie

mum.

This is the issue. As far as I can tell from digging in the wiki, the Baratheons don't have any other legitimate blood relatives. Of the two named known Baratheons before Stefon, one was a knight who isn't listed as having any children, and the other married a Lannister and had one son who died during childbirth. Maybe it would fall to Stannis to have a will saying "In the event of my death and that of my daughter, I legitimize Edric Storm and name him my heir," or something to that effect. Who knows.

This is the issue. As far as I can tell from digging in the wiki, the Baratheons don't have any other legitimate blood relatives. Of the two named known Baratheons before Stefon, one was a knight who isn't listed as having any children, and the other married a Lannister and had one son who died during childbirth. Maybe it would fall to Stannis to have a will saying "In the event of my death and that of my daughter, I legitimize Edric Storm and name him my heir," or something to that effect. Who knows.

I keep thinking that Stannis is going to have to legitimize one of Robert's bastards. He is being faced with the end of his house. Stannis is all about duty. I don't see him allowing House Baratheon to go down.

Forgive me if I am wrong but I thought that Shireen was sterile due to the greyscale?

I keep wondering why George points out Robert's bastards if not to give Stannis some way to save the house?

Of course Gendry can defy Stoneheart and die.

Edric could perish is Essos.

Maya could die from a mule kick.

Who knows, but I love the crazy Baratheons and really don't want them all to die out.

I keep thinking that Stannis is going to have to legitimize one of Robert's bastards. He is being faced with the end of his house. Stannis is all about duty. I don't see him allowing House Baratheon to go down.

Forgive me if I am wrong but I thought that Shireen was sterile due to the greyscale?

I keep wondering why George points out Robert's bastards if not to give Stannis some way to save the house?

Of course Gendry can defy Stoneheart and die.

Edric could perish is Essos.

Maya could die from a mule kick.

Who knows, but I love the crazy Baratheons and really don't want them all to die out.

Stannis can't legitimize one of Robert's basterds until he dies or he'll lose his claim to the throne, and that of his daughter.

Legitimate Monarch?

If you live in Westeros:

Baratheons are the ruling dynasty.

Tommen Baratheon is the King, and head of the Baratheon Household.

There is currently a civil war amongst the Baratheons to decide succession. In the Game of Thrones, you win or you die.

You may have dragon flags hidden away, but you know the Targaryen dynasty is over.

There are rumors of Targaryens returning to take back the Iron Throne.

If you are on the internet:

In addition to the above,

You know that Tommen is not a Baratheon, and Stannis is the true Baratheon heir.

You know that Dany has dragons and might be coming to Westeros, eventually.

Aegon (real or not) has returned to Westeros.

You are patiently (or not) awaiting the next book.

Legitimate Monarch?

If you live in Westeros:

Baratheons are the ruling dynasty.

Tommen Baratheon is the King, and head of the Baratheon Household.

There is currently a civil war amongst the Baratheons to decide succession. In the Game of Thrones, you win or you die.

You may have dragon flags hidden away, but you know the Targaryen dynasty is over.

There are rumors of Targaryens returning to take back the Iron Throne.

If you are on the internet:

In addition to the above,

You know that Tommen is not a Baratheon, and Stannis is the true Baratheon heir.

You know that Dany has dragons and might be coming to Westeros, eventually.

Aegon (real or not) has returned to Westeros.

You are patiently (or not) awaiting the next book.

Technically, these details are known by some/large parts of Westeros, according to Varys' epilogue, word has spread of Aegon's return, and Stannis has told everyone about Tommen, so the realm knows at the very least that there are rumors/suggestions that Tommen is illegitimate, and from what we've seen, a fair number of people believe it.

Archived