Sandor Clegane v. 14

littlespider, on 05 January 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

I'm hoping this means that when he faces the fire again, he will utterly kick its ass.* Though brash, your theory is actually much more developed and interesting than mine, and would be a perfect way of winding together the QI stuff and the R'hllor angle.

The R'hllor stuff is very strange as to why it might connect to Sandor in particular. I still like the crackpot that he could be a dragon rider or one of the heads of the dragon , but it is truly unlikely. :drunk:

The Eyrie however is ripe for a Dragon attack /scene. If Sandor and Sansa are both there, then there could be one hell of fight scene. Also it creates potential for GRRM to work through the Knight rescues Princess from fire breathing Dragon trope.......yes, we are now back to Sansa wargging Dragons and putting nice big pink bows round their necks.

seven hells i have missed quite a lot... it took me ages to catch up on the past two threads.

There's another SSM after FFC where he said that he was "looking forward to finishing Sandor's story arc" or somesuch. I really do not know how to search through SSM so I leave that to someone else.

If it is true that GRRM said that he looks forward to finishing Sandor's story arc (that being the revenge on Gregor), I'm feeling a very Oberyn Martell ending in his future. In which Sandor gets to "kill" unGregor but will also die tragically.

So while i often contemplate whether or not i want to see Sandor off the QI, i often fear it will just end tragically for him (and its not satisfying either way he's not killing Gregor, hes killing some zombie version that i assume feels no pain) So i would sooner him live quietly, in peace, with nice wine and hard cheese digging graves.

Sandor has stumbled upon -- or has been stumbled into by EB -- a vocation with no shortage of business growth. Kinda like with morticians, there's always guaranteed business. Pragmatist that he is, the steady income, low as it may be, might be preferable to the hit and miss that comes with warrior hijinks. Especially now that he's lamed and likely not quite as adept at the killing of folk as he once was.

Assumptions being 1) that Sandor's story arc is complete, given that he delivered Arya near enough to Saltpans as to make no nevermind; 2) he's imbued Sansa with a notion of romantic love that doesn't rely upon courtly knights & so forth, so good enough; 3) GRRM needs to wrap up the massive story in just two more books, such that ending Sandor's arc* makes for one less plot complication.

That Stranger still exists in all his warrior horseyness tends to complicate my theory. Though of use as a plough horse in a worst case scenario, I'm not seeing how a horse is useful relative to digging graves. Maybe Brienne requires a studly steed? Maybe even Jaime? Yeah, that would work.

Also, Sandor's BAMFness genes (and by extension the Clegane genes in general) stand a decent chance of already having been passed on via some whore, since we all know Sandor's seed wasn't bereft of potency as Greg's were.

Truly I believe that GRRM unintentionally created a character that he never imagined to have such a strong impact upon his readership. Bound to happen, I suppose, given the vast array of characters he created, some would resonate with fanpeeps. I've said it before and I'll type it again: Sandor Clegane is worthy of a book, or even series of books, unto himself. He's just that compelling a character. That Sandor needs to be done with in ASoIaF speaks only to the complications inherent in the big story.

*I neither believe this to be true, nor wish for it. <--- emphasis

The EB's words about Sandor not loving, or receiving no love, makes me think the man is in for some LOVE in his future. :)

Or, y'know, NO, he's not. Because in GRRM's world, love is scarce, and even then fraught with tragedy. It is known, QED. :)

Sandor has stumbled upon -- or has been stumbled into by EB -- a vocation with no shortage of business growth. Kinda like morticians, there's always guaranteed business. Pragmatist that he is, the steady income, low as it may be, might be preferable to the hit and miss that comes with warrior hijinks. Especially now that he's lamed and likely not quite as adept at the killing of folk as he once was.

I wonder if he's going through an identity crisis right about now... All his life he's prided himself on being a warrior, good at killing and protecting people. It's the sole basis of the offer he makes to Sansa - come with me, and you'll be safe. I assume he's still able to hold his own in a fight, but that certain confidence must now be a bit shaky.

Also, Sandor's BAMFness genes (and by extension, the Clegane genes in general) stand a decent chance of already having been passed on via some whore, since we all know Sandor's seed wasn't bereft of potency as Greg's were.

I see you haven't heard of the Sandor Clegane pull-out method? Fascinating stuff :lol:

He's just that compelling a character. That Sandor needs to be done with in ASoIaF speaks only to the complications inherent in the big story.

Amen! That's why we're on no. 14 and counting.

Rapsie: The R'hllor stuff is very strange as to why it might connect to Sandor in particular. I still like the crackpot that he could be a dragon rider or one of the heads of the dragon , but it is truly unlikely. :drunk:

Well, his scar does match Drogon (the black and scarlet one), so perhaps Dany can use him for an accessory for her dragon. A man purse.

And this does give me hope, though it is kind of hilarious. I would die laughing. :)

http://en.wikipedia....485-1509%29.svg

I love Sandor. I have a huge crush on him. Especially since the HBO series showed him in all his hot BAMF'ness. That is why I lurked the boards for months then started posting. Freaking LOVE him we all want just a 200 page Sandor book. That's all. Please GRRM. Please. :bowdown:

Well, his scar does match Drogon (the black and scarlet one), so perhaps Dany can use him for an accessory for her dragon. A man purse.

Sandor is currently making his "I am disappoint" face -- on him, it's pretty damn scary.

Heh. All it's missing is a direwolf.

That Stranger still exists in all his warrior horseyness tends to complicate my theory. Though of use as a plough horse in a worst cast scenario, I'm not seeing how a horse is useful relative to digging graves. Maybe Brienne requires a studly horse? Maybe even Jaime? Yeah, that would work.

The grumpy, beloved presence of Stranger, with his full and un-marred set of equipment, gives me full confidence that Sandor will be back and kicking ass. He won't be a Lancel, though he'll be changed.

Also, Sandor's BAMFness genes (and by extension, the Clegane genes in general) stand a decent chance of already having been passed on via some whore, since we all know Sandor's seed wasn't bereft of potency as Greg's were.
Though in fairness Greg may have killed his wives before they could ever bring a pregnancy to full term. But of course, as we know, Sandor's a total virg. *ducks*

I've said it before and I'll type it again: Sandor Clegane is worthy of a book, or even series of books, unto himself. He's just that compelling a character.

Word. :cheers:

But let me throw this out there quickly, since in the past the topic of Mel and her fucking crazy creepy-ass "religion" R'hllor following have come up.

We predict that (or perhaps desperately hope that) a lot of these characters are going to start to make their way north, yes? And R'hllor isn't done with Sandor yet. I guess tbh I'd rather hear about R'hllor's plans from Thoros than from Mel, though Thoros is a little nuts as well. How is Mel going to read a man who's been physically marked by fire twice already?

But let me throw this out there quickly, since in the past the topic of Mel and her fucking crazy creepy-ass "religion" R'hllor following have come up.

We predict that (or perhaps desperately hope that) a lot of these characters are going to start to make their way north, yes? And R'hllor isn't done with Sandor yet. I guess tbh I'd rather hear about R'hllor's plans from Thoros than from Mel, though Thoros is a little nuts as well. How is Mel going to read a man who's been physically marked by fire twice already?

Sandor shadowbaby? :eek:

I do think that Mel might consider him a real special case, perhaps even someone that needs to be in higher service to R'hllor, but Sandor is totes gonna say "Bugger this and Bugger you." :)

Rapsie: The R'hllor stuff is very strange as to why it might connect to Sandor in particular. I still like the crackpot that he could be a dragon rider or one of the heads of the dragon , but it is truly unlikely. :drunk:

And this does give me hope, though it is kind of hilarious. I would die laughing. :)

http://en.wikipedia....485-1509%29.svg

Alas, that is exactly the sort of arms that Aegon would take if he married Sansa.

Or more optimistically, if Daenerys married Jon Snow.

Alas, that is exactly the sort of arms that Aegon would take if he married Sansa.

Or more optimistically, if Daenerys married Jon Snow.

Well, the dragon I could see, but where would the lion and the hound come in for any of those people. None of them are Lannisters or Cleganes.

Well, the dragon I could see, but where would the lion and the hound come in for any of those people. None of them are Lannisters or Cleganes.

Sorry forgot about the lions, the hound looks like a wolf/Ghost

So if Daenerys and Jon Snow got married, you would remove the lions at the centre and have more or less that coat of arms.

The lion's represent England.

the dragon symbolizes Wales

the Harp is Ireland (not seen since Irish independence generally)

the Unicorn is Scotland.

old ones often have the Fleure De Lys symbolizing France.

So the modern day Westerosi coat of arms could have if (Jon and Daenerys marry)

the Dragon and a white direwolf holding an orange sun (because the Dornish must be appeased).

that orange sun contains a kraken and the horn of joramun (if the union of the crowns occurs in a 300 years).

Having said that, it's more likely that Westeros will split up then unite further.

Sorry forgot about the lions, the hound looks like a wolf/Ghost

So if Daenerys and Jon Snow got married, you would remove the lions at the centre and have more or less that coat of arms.

The lion's represent England.

the dragon symbolizes Wales

the Harp is Ireland (not seen since Irish independence generally)

the Unicorn is Scotland.

old ones often have the Fleure De Lys symbolizing France.

So the modern day Westerosi coat of arms could have if (Jon and Daenerys marry)

the Dragon and a white direwolf holding an orange sun (because the Dornish must be appeased).

that orange sun contains a kraken and the horn of joramun (if the union of the crowns occurs in a 300 years).

Having said that, it's more likely that Westeros will split up then unite further.

Well, thank you for all that information. I just thought it was kind of funny (hilarious, actually) that Henry VII's coat of arms had the dragon, lion, and greyhound on it.

littlespider, on 05 January 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

The Eyrie however is ripe for a Dragon attack /scene. If Sandor and Sansa are both there, then there could be one hell of fight scene. Also it creates potential for GRRM to work through the Knight rescues Princess from fire breathing Dragon trope.......yes, we are now back to Sansa wargging Dragons and putting nice big pink bows round their necks.

Sansa and dragons with pink bows make me happy, like very happy, just thinking about. Which I need. I went to my uncle's funeral today and it was like, whoa.

As for the Eyrie stuff, I am now beginning to believe such a dragon attack will happen. :thumbsup: And why, you might ask? Well, there are two textual reasons that give me the leave to think so. Let me show them to you!

1. There's been too much mention of how the Eyrie is "impregnable", (unless you're Bronn I guess :lmao:). Well I say, not to dragons, it ain't.

2. As I made note of in a different thread I started, I was reading the Dunk and Egg tales, at the part of the Ashford tourney, and the matchups for the jousting were very interesting. Most relevant to this topic was the Hardyng vs. Targaryen match. Hardynge got brutally defeated by the Targ in question. Makes me think a certain blood of the dragon might repeat this in present history.

My full crackpot is Sansa marries Harry. Harry ill-advised-ly declares himself King of Vale, Riveralnds, North, etc. Dany comes with her dragons and.... yeah, Harry, and the Eyrie, we knew you two well.

Which I need. I went to my uncle's funeral today and it was like, whoa.

Oh no! So sorry to hear that. *hug*

2. As I made note of in a different thread I started, I was reading the Dunk and Egg tales, at the part of the Ashford tourney, and the matchups for the jousting were very interesting. Most relevant to this topic was the Hardyng vs. Targaryen match. Hardynge got brutally defeated by the Targ in question. Makes me think a certain blood of the dragon might repeat this in present history.

Nice catch! Wow, that is pretty amazing. The only thing is that they're not at the Eyrie anymore. But it could certainly happen in the Vale.

My theory is that the dragons will land in the Westerlands -- perhaps Casterly Rock, since Dany will have to go east to go west. But that doesn't mean that a Targ won't take down Harry. Perhaps even Faegon could take him down?

Archived