Do you like Robert?

Gingerly Grumkin

He got violently jealous with his best friends sister, which crippled the whole relm. He then went on a rampage executing many noble families. He beat his wife, drank profusely, spent all of Kings Landing's money and then some, did not raise his "kids" properly, slept with many whores, bedchambers and common girls, and he was an incrediable dick to his brothers for no real reason. Yet almost all love him, why?

Maybe if we got to see young Robert, I'd have more positive feelings about the character. As is, he was a lousy king, lousy husband, lousy father, and lousy friend. He was also a moral coward. Add raging alcoholism to the mix and you really don't have a likeable guy.

True, Ned could always tell the good from the bad. lol but in the end of the day he had a good heart i suppose, I liked him, not as much as Stannis, but more than Renly. And he was way better then the King before him, and the King after him, but thats not saying much...

I like him because no one else seems to like him. And because I trust Ned's instinct (no, seriously :P). He liked him.

He was a good guy deep down...maybe he just sort of went off-course for a bit :ohwell: .....but I suppose Ned could have rectified that, had he the time......

I honestly don't like him - he's an ineffective, lazyass king and a shameless womanizer. That being said, I don't dislike him. :P He's a nice guy and all, and Ned obviously thinks he's a good man, but he never struck me as particularly bright or interesting in any way.

I like Robert but the Robert I like is the young Robert. He was a badass who took the throne from the dragon kings. Robert was definitely someone you wanted to be your friend- he'd have been fun to hang out with and a loyal defender. When the books begin he's a fat drunk in a loveless marriage.

It seems he treated his conquered foes well- except the Targaryens.

People say he was a a bad King but the realm was essentially at peace during his reign (minus the crazy Greyjoys). They say he bankrupted the realm but who's to say that wasn't actually Littlefinger's work.

Well, shitty brother (no real reason). shitty husband (who would'nt be). shitty king (shitty council). So overall I guess he had no choice. Thats a part I love of this book, not black and white. Robb and Jon are always good. Thats it. And the Bastard of Bolton is always bad. But thats it, even the Freys did the RW for honor

You know, sometimes I think king Robert may have had a narcissistic streak; he had a sort of "how the hell come that all these people around me don´t realize how awesome and cool I am" personality, like a real-life rock star or something (sort of an aged Elvis).

Then again, he should have been happier: he was a king, and he had a whole kingdom to feed his ego...how come he wasn´t happier? Maybe his problem was that the people who was closer to him (either physically or emotionally) and who he couldn´t discard or replace easily (Jon Arryn, Stannis, Renly, Cersei, Jamie, Ser Barristan...etc.) didn´t admire him and didn´t fed his ego, so he felt miserable every minute he wasn´t surrounded by whores and sycophants.

I honestly don't like him - he's an ineffective, lazyass king and a shameless womanizer. That being said, I don't dislike him. :P He's a nice guy and all, and Ned obviously thinks he's a good man, but he never struck me as particularly bright or interesting in any way.

That's kind of how I felt. I liked reading about the man he used to be, mostly from Ned (but even from Jon Connington in ADWD). He overthrew a much worse king than himself, and didn't want the throne. He was talked into a terrible marriage, and had to rule (or at least appear to) with half the realm believing he was a usurper. He seemed to truly love Lyanna, and as others have said, Ned judged him to be a good man. But overall I didn't care for him that much, and certainly wasn't very upset when he died.

Archived