AFFC audio

It took me a bit to get used to Roy Dotrice narrating the first 3 books... But now that I am, I love the guy. I am hesitant to buy AFFC audio with the narrating switch. Has anyone listened to it? I heard the samples availible on Audible, and from that, it doesn't sound like Lee has the ability to do chracterisations like Roy did. What do you all think?

Lots of Dotrice fans on this board, me included.

Lee is different. He simply doesn't do consistent voice characterisations, with very few exceptions. It's not part of his approach. Others, who are annoyed with Dotrice, quite like Lee for that. There are many good audio book readers out there who simply "read the book", instead of "acting" it. No reason to give up on Lee beforehand.

That being said, Lee is the narrator I have liked the least among all the audiobooks I have listened to. From my point of view, he simply isn't a very good reader, voice characterisations or not. But do get the recording anyway. It always gives another, fresh, dimension to the work.

if so that is an even bigger shame.. i know not everyone would agree but I like it much better when a series is completed by the same narrator/cast/etc. while this would serve wonderfully for newcomers to the audio series, it kind of kills my sense of completion. I shall have to just read the book now and imagine roy's voice. ah well. Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...
if so that is an even bigger shame.. i know not everyone would agree but I like it much better when a series is completed by the same narrator/cast/etc. while this would serve wonderfully for newcomers to the audio series, it kind of kills my sense of completion. I shall have to just read the book now and imagine roy's voice. ah well. Thanks for the info!

I wouldn't give up on Lee in advance if I were you. I'd heard negative things about the AFfC audiobook before buying it, and while I did miss some of Dotrice's voices, I did appreciate what Lee brought to the reading. He has a rather odd mannerism of drawing out and emphasizing unexpected words in a sentence that often makes people sound melodramatic and shifty. However, that happens to work really, really well for Cersei. :P I also love his Pod rendition...hysterical.

That said, if Tyrion had been in this book I'd really have missed his Dotrice voice.

I started listening to AFFC and I must admit that I found it quite jarring to listen to Lee after listening to Dotrice for so long. I had gotten quite used to Dotrice's voice characterizations, so some of Lee's voices just threw me off. He's not terrible, but I much prefer Dotrice and hope he will be back for the next book. I was only able to listen to about 1/4 of the book before deciding I couldn't take it anymore. I'm now reading the book with my eyes instead of my ears.

As the previous poster mentioned - I can't imagine a different voice for Tyrion. Dotrice's Tyrion is spot on.

I prefer Lee.

As much as I loved Dotrice's attempts at making every character more uh, "unique" than the last... I prefer Lee's deep voice.

I agree with Ent that he could have read the work better, but at least 40% of Dotrice's voices annoyed me quite a bit and sounded nothing like the character in my head from the book.

With Lee reading, I don't have to deal with that.

I preferred Doutrice. Although on a side note, it's a bit akward having a sex scene read to you by a guy (either). The lesbian scenes were especially...odd.

I find John Lee far inferior to Roy Dotrice. For one, he doesn't respect Mr. Dotrice's pronounciations of the characters, Circe and Petyr are the two that annoy me the most (Petyr as 'peter' - I don't like it). Also, it's hard for me to follow complex conversations, when all the characters sound so similar. I've decided to read the rest of 'A Feast For Crows' and hope that 'A Dance With Dragons' features the return of Dotrice. For me, Dotrice is the voice of Westeros, and now that his voices are in my head, I can't let them go.

I haven't listened to the audio books...but how do they do the female voices? I have trouble imagining a male trying to do Cersei's voice.

Usually just slightly higher than their normal voices: a little more tenderly. It doesn't always work: Dotrice, for instance, reads Cersei that way and it makes her rather personalityless compared to Tyrion/Jaime, who have the accents. Dotrice manages to do a good Arya though, which is quite a stretch when you think about it.

Asa - There are basically 2 approaches. And Lee and Dotrice kinda represent both sides of that equation.

One approach is to "act" or try to act every voice. That means going all high and squeaky for children, incorporating weird accents for foreigners. This is what Dotrice does and succeeds much of the time. Which is super-impressive, given the sheer amount of characters, accents and age ranges in ASOIAF.

The other approach is to read the story in a storyteller voice. The nuance and phrasing can change for each character, but not trying to sound specifically like a child, woman or make each character a unique voice. This is Lee's approach. Think of a voiceover in a movie - more like that.

Both have their ups and downs, obviously. IMHO, when approach one fails, it's much more laughable and that can ruin scenes that aren't supposed to be funny.

Approach two, however, can never do what approach one does when it works. And that's making you feel like your listening to a talented cast, instead of one very talented reader.

I bought all the audiobooks and was very disappointed when Dotrice was missing from AFFC. Especially since until about 3 weeks after the release, Amazon's image of the CD box set and description of the product still showed "Narrated by Roy Dotrice". I of course complained to them (which Im sure went ignored) but they eventually changed it. I honestly wouldnt have bought it if I'd known up front, but it was too much of a hassle to send back (yep, Im lazy).

Anyway I *haaaaaaaaated* Doctrice when, after reading Game of Thrones way back I bought the audiobook. The voices I heard in my head while reading the book didnt match up to what Dotrice was doing, and at first it was hard to take. BUT, by the halfway point of GoT audio, I was hooked. Dotrice has a unique, consistent voice for every character, large or small and as we know thats HUNDREDS of voices.

Lee just doesnt. As other posters here pointed out, its hard to tell who is speaking, since GRRM doesnt always use dialogue attribution. With Dotrice, its like you're listening to a one-man audio dramatization.

Dotrice rules. Lee chews root.

I hope Dotrice is available for the rest of the series. Otherwise I'll probably skip the audiobooks and just read it (blechhh.) Nothing like a good dose of Westeros in the car on my way to work....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived