Your Top 10 aSoIaF Moments (Spoilers)

HyacinthGirl

10. Brienne vs Shagwell and associates

9. The Battle of Blackwater

8. Renly's feast. The Knights of Summer

7. "Is there gold in this village" Arya's revenge

6. The Lightning Lord vs The Hound

5. Jon and Tormunds walk to the parley with Mance after the battle of the wall and Stannis subsequent arrival

4. Oberyn vs Gregor

3. Red Wedding

2. "My name is Theon. You have to remember your name"

1. Tower of Joy flashback

Okay I'm obviously a Dany fangirl so there's a lot of that, but I liked other parts of the books too!

Also... looking at the list after the fact, I apparently enjoy having my heart torn out. :dunno:

1) The Dragons' Birth and the entire Pyre scene... GRRM covered everything in this chapter with a thick layer of awesomesauce.

2) Sansa building snow Winterfell, I still cry every time I read it (until creeper Littlefinger comes along and creeps everything up with his creepy face and creepy kissing).

3) Drogon and Dany's flight - after all that frustration in Meereen this was pure euphoria.

4) STANNIS! STANNIS! STANNIS!! (When the Night's Watch is saved by Stannis! I fell in love with the grumpy bastard right then!)

5) Dracarys - most badass moment in the series, wherever you stand on it's moral acceptability.

6) Bran's last chapter in a dance with dragons where he sees his father and ancestors, and realizes he will never see Winterfell or his family again in any other way. :crying:

7) Jaime telling Brienne the story of Aerys in the bathhouse, fainting, her catching him and calling him Jaime... blushing.gif

8) The Red Wedding. I mean, not that I don't wish it hadn't happened, but holy crap this was intense. Catelyn's perspective at the end - it was so sad watching her go mad right in front of us.

9) Daenerys banishing Ser Jorah, I cry every time. :crying:

10) Quentyn freeing the other dragons! I was so very hopeful he would succeed and so upset when he... um failed. I know no one else cares about Quentyn, but I actually do. Also, dragons are badass.

Hmmmm... it's really, really hard to pick out 10 moments. There's some obviously huge moments that I love, and some smaller ones... I can't list them in order, but a few I've really enjoyed have been:

"Only Cat"- well, come on, I was always going to put a Littlefinger moment in here somewhere. But seriously, the end of Storm of Swords is pretty much massive event after massive event, from Joffrey's death onwards, and having it ended with what seems like a small scale scene by comparison, and quite slow to start with, only to have it escalate in Lysa finally snapping, trying to kill Sansa, and revealing the mystery of Jon Arryn's death, and the sheer scale of LF's plotting, and, naturally, LF reacting to it by very coolly getting rid of her, and the fact that it actually ends with LF plotting and lying yet again, it's all awesome. Not to mention, I felt a sneaking satisfaction at the pile of horror heading the way of Marillion.

Varys and Ned's conversation in the dungeons.

The Kingsmoot- I actually really enjoyed this scene, and the scenes around it. From Asha and Euron exchanging insults, to the tight contest between Victarion and Asha, and the full on HORROR that Aeron feels when Euron wins.

Tyrion attacking Joffrey after the riots, and telling him essentially what a moronic brat he is.

Arya killing the Tickler.

Stannis's dressing down of Janos Slynt- I didn't feel much one way or the other about Stannis, except an exasperation for him allowing Melisandre to burn people, and I am in no way suggesting that an awesome piece of dialogue makes up for that, but at the line "Any of you, I would imagine. Even the cook." a little fondness was born in my heart.

The High Septon: "No"

Joffrey finally kicking the bucket.

The Red Wedding. Very well written, from the relief that it seemed to be alright, to a return to Cat's despondency, to an increasing panic to all hell breaking loose.

Varys's final appearance in ADWD

By and large, I tend to find speeches more impressive than actual battles, hence why scenes like the Battle of the Blackwater, etc. aren't here. I'm sure I've forgotten a few, though.

2. Arya and the Hound taking out The Tickler & Polliver."Is there any gold hidden in the village? Is there any silver? Gems? Is there food? Where is Lord Beric?..." Wow. And she got Needle back!

Absolutely loved this one.

-edit. Oh, probably my favourite moment was when Arya handed the sailor the coin. Very satisfying after all that running about.

2) Sansa building snow Winterfell, I still cry every time I read it (until creeper Littlefinger comes along and creeps everything up with his creepy face and creepy kissing).

4) STANNIS! STANNIS! STANNIS!! (When the Night's Watch is saved by Stannis! I fell in love with the grumpy bastard right then!)

5) Dracarys - most badass moment in the series, wherever you stand on it's moral acceptability.

7) Jaime telling Brienne the story of Aerys in the bathhouse, fainting, her catching him and calling him Jaime... blushing.gif

8) The Red Wedding. I mean, not that I don't wish it hadn't happened, but holy crap this was intense. Catelyn's perspective at the end - it was so sad watching her go mad right in front of us.

So you listed a bunch of stuff I forgot :)

This was Sansa's redeeming moment for me. She annoyed me so much in aGoT, less and less in aCoK, and then I kind of fell in love with her in this scene! We finally see how much she loves her home and family.

Never forgave Stannis for killing Renly... :( but yeah, good think he showed up when he did.

Dany kicked ass in this scene.

Really regret not putting this on my list, not because I "ship" Jaime/Brienne (not sure if I do) I just love how unexpected this is. I was like "Oh, so Jaime killed Aerys to save KL basically...well, we can't possibly hate him now, would-be-child-killer or no." :)

How could I not have mentioned this one. Most horrific scene of the series. "Jaime Lannister sends his regards..." DAMN! Just when you think ASOIAF can't get sadder or twistier...

1. Meera and Jojen's beautiful and noble speech to Bran at the Harvest fest, Winterfell.

2. Jon finding Ghost

3. Jaime giving Brienne the valaryian sword OathKeeper

4. The scene with Tormund and Jon as the 3k Wildlings came through the Wall

5. Old Bear giving LongClaw to Jon and his chat with him

6. Maester Aemon's chat with Jon in the same chapter. The chat about honor and duty and choices

7. Jon giving Needle to Arya

8. Theon to Lady Dustin," I wanted to be one of them"

9. Jon halting the beating of Sam on the ground.Thorne then sent 3 to go through Jon to get at Sam. Pyp and Grenn assisted and they won

10. Davos leaving his cell at White Harbour thinking it was his time to die and Wyman's clueing him in on the mummer's farce

1. Jon cutting off Janos Slynt's head. It's not even about the evil bastard finally biting it, but Jon's attitude toward it. Do your own dirty work.

2. Not published yet, but Stannis showing his astonishing ballsiness in the Theon gift chapter.

3. Baelish tossing Lysa out the moon door.

4. Jaime taking out the trash at Harrenhal and getting the Blackfish to leave Riverrun (more of an arc than a moment, but still).

5. Manderly and Glover giving Davos his mission impossible at White Harbor.

6. Tyrion bitch-slapping Joffrey after the King's Landing riot.

7. Robb being declared King in the North.

8. Septon Merribald's monologue.

9. Doran's "fire and blood" line to Arianne. I'm sure he'll eventually change his mind but at the time it gave me chills.

10. Dany hatching the dragons. Sadly it was all downhill from there.

1. "The things I do for love." The first of many instances where Martin breaks fantasy tradition.

2. Et tu, Bowen? I was so ready for Jon to go lead a wildling army to take on Ramsey and then this had to happen.

3. "Mysha!" When all the Unsullied join with Dany, not the rest of the freedmen though. They're useless.

4. When the fiddlers start playing the Reynes of Castermere at the RW. I had to read that chapter twice before I believed what had just happened.

5. "I'm going to kill that" Even thoughBronn would never have tried finishing Gregor off with his own sword.

6. Victarion gets a flaming hand job. I love the ironborn but the scene where he walks up after all the screaming and smoke is almost too badass

7. Holding the Wall. Mammoths > burning chain, making this the best battle in the series

8. THE KING IN THE NORTH. Even though he was doomed to fail I rooted for Robb all the way through.

9. "Wherever whores go" I'd been waiting for that to happen since RW. Walder Frey, you're next.

10. Only Cat. Both for showing just how smart LF is and having the most annoying character thrown off a cliff.

I agree with many so i will not repeat them, but here are a few of my other favs

1. Arya naming Jaqen as her 3rd person so he would assist her with weasel soup

2. Ser Barristan revealing who he was and killing the titans bastard with a stick

3. Davos thinking to himself how retarded everyone is while attacking KL on the blackwater (terrible attack plans, wearing full plate armor on the boats...)

4. Stannis

5. Jon seeing ygrittes hair while she and the wildlings were attacking castle black. Also John checking to see if he killed her

6. Cersei's lies finally collapsing around her (even though that is still ongoing)

7. Dario and Dany 4 evar!!1 (just kidding)

You all have mentioned so many good scenes that are also among my favorites. Here are a couple I haven't seen listed:

1. Arya as Cat of the Canals, calling someone a "camel's cunt."

2. Wylla Manderly at Davos' audience with Manderly, supporting the Starks and calling out the Freys. (We'd better see more of her!)

3. Renly and the peach.

ETA: Merret Frey meeting UnCat.

I feel like I’m just repeating all of you guys, but here’s mine, in no particular order. I should say that there are many more moments that I love from the series, these are just the ones came to my head the first time.

1. Red Wedding

2. Septon Merribald’s monologue

3. Battle of Blackwater Bay

4. “King in the North”

5. “Only Cat”

6. “Edd, fetch me a block”

7. Tyrion’s last moment with Tywin

8. Sansa’s snow castle moment

9. Blackfish and Jaime moment

10. Wyman Wenderly and Davos moment

10. Brienne and Jamies fight.

9. Victarion-The first (?) naval fight we see, when he "vaults over the gunwale" clad in armour. Cant help but feel impressed.

8.Stannis and Renlys parley- Liked their conversation, really showed their characters.

7. The Whispering Woods-A good battle portrayal from the pov of a non participant.

6. Brienne fighting Rorge and Biter, one of the more brutal fights imo.

5. Squire Dalbridges death- A sad scene imo. Showed that there are (were?) still good men in the NW.

4.Cats journey up the vale of Arryn-The fight against the mountain clans imo really got me hooked, it felt so realistic in all its brutality.

3.Battle of the Blackwater- Mainly the naval assault, I want to see more naval engagements. Felt sorry for Stannis.

2. The Red Wedding-A shocking event that changed so much.

1. Ned remembering the Tower of Joy-Such a legendary (?) event that has spawned so many threads and discussions here. The way Dayne and the rest of Aerys KG differs from the present day members. That scene imo portrays more of a "traditional" fantasy feeling than others, perhaps that is a part of its alluring quality.

These are some of my favorites but I am sure I have forgotten many others..

10. Donal Noyal killing a giant with one arm.

9. Jon beheading Janos Slynt.

8. Tyrion killing Shae.

7. Greatjon laughing after Greywind ate his fingers.

6. Dany crushing the Astapor slavers with her Unsullied.

5. Ned’s beheading.

4. The battle at The Wall.

3. Joffrey choking to death.

2. Tyrion shooting Tywin and saying, “Lord Tywin Lannister in the end did not shit gold”.

1. Cercei’s walk of shame. Loved it!!

In no particular order:

Battle of Blackwater (including 'No one would hurt you again, or I'd kill them' and 'Sing, little bird. Sing for your little life')

Beric vs Hound

Oberyn vs Mountain

Red Wedding

Dracarys!

Joff's wedding

Jon&Ygriette

Or maybe he'll give me yours.

In the end, Tywin Lannister did not, in fact, shit gold.

Ned's death

Honorable Mention:

Sansa and snow castle

Only Cat

the king of the north

the north remember

Archived