Your Top 10 aSoIaF Moments (Spoilers)

HyacinthGirl

This may have been done before...anyway, title says all. There WILL be spoilers, obviously. Pretty basic: what have been your favourite/the best scenes or moments in all of the aSoIaF books so far?

10. "Only Cat." Littlefinger makes Lysa fly. The whole chapter with the hysterical Lysa revealing that basically everything had been LF's plotting...man, that was amazing.

9. The Battle of Blackwater. Probably the most action packed sequence in all of the books. I don't know about you guys but I had NO IDEA what Tyrion's chain was for until Davos went "the chain. Gods save us, they've raised the chain."

8. The last time all of the Stark kids are in Winterfell together...on rereading, this was just so poignant. Robb and the snowflakes in his hair, Jon giving Arya needle...just so bittersweet and sad.

7. Jon defending the wall...my favourite character, and man, he was so strong. I really felt like there was no hope but Jon just kept them all together...

6. Viserys getting his golden crown.

5. Bridge of Dreams. "The current had them in its teeth..." So creepy. The stone men might be as scary the wights, IMO (but less relevant) ..."Mother Rhoyne runs how she will," murmured Yandry. "Seven save us," said Lemore...

4. Ned in the Black Cell. A really depressing chapter, but I thought it was so mysterious and interesting and sad...kind of entrancing, in its own way. Poor Ned. (Honourable mention to the Tower of Joy flashback too, intriguing in a similar way)

3. The Attack on the Fist of the First Men. (This includes the escape back to Crasters keep). This was hands down the scariest bit in the series, although there was about half a book between the third horn blast and Sam's account of the attack.

2. Arya and the Hound taking out The Tickler & Polliver."Is there any gold hidden in the village? Is there any silver? Gems? Is there food? Where is Lord Beric?..." Wow. And she got Needle back!

1. Septon Merribald's 'Broken Man' speech. Very different to all of the other moments on my list, but this was so beautiful, moving and tragic on so many levels. The best monologue in the whole series.

(Honourable mention to the Lightning Lord, his fight with the Hound deserves a place on this list...I loved the character of Beric, the 3rd person rumours built up a mystical figure and although it was annoying when his men took Arya off route, I love the pre-UnCat BWB! Beric was tragic and honourable. Another fave character, no matter how relevant he is to the main story.)

Anyway, there are tons of other great moments, so let me know which ones made your list :)

10) "The things i do for love"

9) "There sits the only man i mean to bow my head too my lords, THE KING OF THE NORTH!!!"

8)"Blood of my blood"(dragon screeching)

7)Renly and his peach

6)All the battles of book 2(off-screen too)

5)joffrey getting dung thrown on his face,abused,beaten

4)RW......

3)joffrey dieing

2)broken man speech by septa merribald

1)The Ides of Marsh......

(will probably update after other books)

1-When Robb captures the Lannister spy and tells him:"Tell Lord Tywin Lannister that for him,Winter is Coming,and twenty thousand northmen are marching South to see if he really shits gold."

Why:I don't like Robb,and Tywin is my favorite.I knew about the Red Wedding before I read Book 1,yet,on that moment,Robb Stark looked to me invincible,nearly godlike.

2-"The things I do for love".

3-The Tale of the Night King

4-Asha and Euron fighting one-another with Replies just before the Kingsmoot.

5-The scene with Asha mocking Theon as Esgred.

6-Asha insulting Clayton Suggs.

7-Barristan Selmy vs Hizdahr's guardsman

8-Moqorro's arrival on Victarion's ship.

9-The Melisandre chapter in ADWD when she was gazing into the flames.

10-All the Three-Eyed Crow Dreams

Alert for a lot of Jon Snow moments :cool4:

1. Edd, fetch me a block- I've never fangirled so hard in my life :lol:

2. The red wedding- sad, terrible, intense.

3. Stick them with the pointy end-Brotherly love between Jon and Arya is always in my top 10.

4. The battle of Blackwater and Davos.

5. "The Wall is yours, Jon Snow"- Donal Noye like a boss, I loved him.

6. The King in the North!- I miss GreatJon Umber, I hope to know from him soon.

7. I think not, Greyjoy, this one is mine- Direpuppies are awesome!

8. Jon thinking how beautiful Val and Ghost looked together.

9. Bran/Summer saving Jon from the wildlings.

10. Theon hitting hardcore on his sister- this one was hilarious.

Only ten? That's unfair!

Alert for a lot of Jon Snow moments :cool4:

1. Edd, fetch me a block- I've never fangirled so hard in my life :lol:

2. The red wedding- sad, terrible, intense.

3. Stick them with the pointy end-Brotherly love between Jon and Arya is always in my top 10.

4. The battle of Blackwater and Davos.

5. "The Wall is yours, Jon Snow"- Donal Noye like a boss, I loved him.

6. The King in the North!- I miss GreatJon Umber, I hope to know from him soon.

7. I think not, Greyjoy, this one is mine- Direpuppies are awesome!

8. Jon thinking how beautiful Val and Ghost looked together.

9. Bran/Summer saving Jon from the wildlings.

10. Theon hitting hardcore on his sister- this one was hilarious.

Only ten? That's unfair!

I, too, fangirl in many of your Jon moments.

And you may add '.5's to extent your list :)

10-Asha as Esgred with Theon travelling to Pyke

9-The things i do for love

8-Tywin Lannister actually didn't shit gold

7-Viserys getting his crown

6-Shagga chopping off Pycelles beard

5-Littlefinger pushing Lysa Arryn out the moon door

4-The King In the North

3-Sam and his "Mast"

2-Jon and Ghost fighting the other in Mormonts chamber

1-Tyrion slapping Joffrey with Sandor Cleganes reaction- it was great in the books and the little bastard deserved it

Nine runners-up in no particular order:

* "Drogon: dracerys." Daenerys takes Astapor. I saw this one coming the moment she offered to sell a dragon, but it was still great.

* The Red Wedding and Arya's concurrent scene.

* "THE KING IN THE NORTH!"

* Tyrion confronts Cersei about her incest, asks if she could please stop neglecting her other brother.

* Littlefinger gives Lysa flying lessons.

* Viserys's coronation.

* Tyrion offs Shae and Tywin.

* "Wash it down with Arbor Gold and savor every bite. I know I shall."

* Stannis makes Davos Hand of the King.

1. Stannis arrives at the Wall and crushes Mance's army despite being massively outnumbered. The general dreariness of the series makes the rare heroic moments, when they happen, utterly amazing.

Two scenes from AGoT, one from ACoK, six From ASoS, none from AFfC (real shocker, that one), one from ADwD.

10- Jon Snow and Qorin Halfland exploration.

9- Doran reveals his plan to Arianne.

8- Cersei being imprisoned in the sept of Baelor.

7- Red Wedding.

6- Joffrey's death.

5- Theon-Reek back to Winterfell.

4- Dany's final chapter in ADWD.

3- "Only Cat".

2- Battle of the Fist of the First Men.

1- Oberyn vs. Gregor.

1. "Dracarys. Freedom."

2. "And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

3. "I dreamed of you."

4. "Yes, take me, take me, FLY!"

5. "Is there gold in the village? Is there? Is there?"

6. "Or maybe he'll give me yours."

7. "The king in the North!"

8. "And then we will kill them all."

9. "Woman? Is that meant to insult me? I'd return the slap, if I took you for a man."

10. "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood."

In the order I thought of them.

1) "The North remembers, Lord Davos."

2) "Are you still a maiden? Good, I only save maidens."

3) The battle of the Wall. Reminds me of the battle of Helm's Deep in The Two Towers.

4) "Theon, my name is Theon. You have to know your name."

5) The Blackwater, specifically Tyrion's chapters.

6) "It's not dead, just broken. I'm not dead either."

7) THE KING IN THE NORTH!

8) Qhorin and Jon's last chapter together. Awesome stuff.

9) "Mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey."

10) "Only Cat."

And a shout out to the Christmas gift chapter. Lots of great moments in there.

1. -"You're going to fight that!?"

-"I'm going to kill that." (Oberyn vs. Gregor)

2. "THE KING IN THE NORTH!"

3. "Jaime Lannister sends his regards." (RW)

4. "The Wall is yours, Jon Snow."

5. "The North remembers, Lord Davos."

6. "Is there any gold hidden in the village? Is there any silver? Gems?" (Arya is my favorite character)

7. -"You would break the Queen's peace?"

-"I would shatter it." (Barristan going full badass and proceeding to kill that pit fighter and capture the king).

8. I'm not sure exactly how the quote goes, but during ADWD Theon thought something along the lines of "Why wasn't I with Robb? I should have been with him. I should have died with him." I believe it was in the same chapter as

-"Why do you love the Starks?"

-"I...I wanted to be one of them." Theon's entire arc in ADWD was one of my favorite in the entire series. He went from my 2nd least favorite POV character to one of my top 3, and this moment was very powerful.

9. "In the end, Tywin Lannister did not, in fact, shit gold."

10. Septon Meribald's speech.

10. Littlefinger/Varys scene in episode 10 (from TV show) True masters of the game

9. Red Wedding

8. Battle of Blackwater

7. Tyrion killing Tywin

6. Mountain pulverizing Red Viper

5. Gaius Jon Caesar

4. "I changed my mind. Edd, fetch me a block" way to go Jonny boy!

3. MIGHTY SHAGGA son of Dolf VS Pycelle

2. Stannis granting Davos titles of Lord, Admiral and the Hand.

1. Ned Stark's demise - this is always gonna be #1 for me

Really difficul to choose just ten, it will be much easier if it were 10 from each book, however mine are:

10)Reek jumping with Jeyne from Winterfell's walls...becoming Theon

9) Ned's death...I've screamed

8) Bran tree visions of the past, the last passage is awsome

7) Vengeange...Giustice...Fire and Blood, got shivers down my spine

6) The Ides lf Marsh

5) Lord Tywin Lannister, in the end, didin't shit gold. Simply amazing.

4) And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons

3) the Battle of the Wall

2) the Battle of Blackwater

1) Red Wedding...definetly, I've read that part at least a dozen times

Not necessarly in order, bur Red Weeding on top for sure.

Other that I could have easily inclouted:

The King in the North!

The Red Viper v.s. The Mountains Who Rides

Only Cat

Arya killing the Thickler

Jaime in Harrenal's baths

I can't decide. If I made a list now I would come back a few hours later and realize I'd missed half a dozen awesome moments.

There's just too much good stuff.

If I had to make a basic one, it would probably consist of several Davos parts (especially with Manderly), Mountain vs Oberyn chapter, Blackwater, "Bring me a block", Ned's dream, , Connington's chapters (I love them for some reason), Meribald's speech, the entire last 2-3 chapters in Meeren of ADWD, Stannis+Renly, Stannis+anyone, Tyrion at the auction block, Jaime's conversations in general, Bran meeting BR, Sam making Jon LC, Joffrey's wedding, Dany in ASOS and ADWD (omg heresy), and about 30000 more that I'm forgetting.

:wacko:

10) Septon Meribald's speech.

9) Cersei getting busted by The Faith

8) Death of Aerys Oakheart

7) Battle on the Blackwater

6) Arya escaping the burning fortress/Death of Yoren

5) Death of King Robert

4) Sansa's song for Sandor

3) ELLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! The Red Viper vs. The Mountain that Rides

2) Khaleesi Dany leading Spartacus style slave rebellion and conquering Slaver's Bay . .

1) The Wedding at The Twins . .. . the whole thing . . . all the way until The Hound kills the dude who survived the massacre . . . great story. Shocking and powerful.

Honorable Mention

Jon falling in love with Ygritte, the only real romance in this story.

"Only Cat"

Varys killing Ser Kevan . . (shocked me and by far was the best portion of the book).

Ser Jorah and Tyrion's misadventures

Jon Snow's death . .

Shae testifying against Tyrion at his trial . . (Giant of Lannister) tore my heart out . .

As for King Joffrey's death, it was less than . .. I think Joffrey should have lived . . the series needed a strong central villain . . like every great series and it doesn't have one since his death again I believe Martin killed off too many main characters in ASOS and hurt the long term viability of the series.

My list of really notable scenes that I can recollect off the back of my head right now:

(List might change when I re-read the books)

10. Bran being pushed off the ledge

9. Cersei being angry at the washing women for allegedly "shrinking" her dresses :D (a great little detail that shows how Cersei views the world)

8. Arya, Yoren and their troupe facing (and being vanquished) by Amory Lorch

7. Oberyn Martell recalling to Tyrion the events around his, his sister's and his mother's journey to Casterly Rock many years back

6. Oberyn Martell vs Gregor Clegane

5. Jamie confiding into Tyrion about that fateful thing with the crofter's daughter

4. Battle of the Blackwater Rush

3. Red Wedding

2. Joffrey's wedding

1. The prologue to ASOS: The third horn blast had me shivering :leaving:, and that was with knowing that the chapter would only have maybe five more lines!! God damn that was a riveting chapter. Not just in an of itself, but with how it tied into the earlier chapters about what the night's watch faced at the fist.

A lot of people have Septon Meribald's speech in their top ten moments. On what page is that speech? I really don't remember it and it sounds awesome. -_-

It is about the common life of a person during that "middle age" era . .. like a lot of men who got messed up in chasing the Crusades and such . .

A lot of people have Septon Meribald's speech in their top ten moments. On what page is that speech? I really don't remember it and it sounds awesome. -_-

It's from the fifth Brienne chapter in AFFC (not the most popular story arc of an individual character, but I actually liked all/most of Brienne's chapters). The chapter starts on page 407 AFFC and the monologue starts halfway down page 420 (but I've read somewhere that page numbers can differ internationally).

"The war of the ninepenny kings?" Asked Ser Hyle Hunt.

"So they called it, though I never saw a king, nor earned a penny. It was a war, though. That it was."

Archived