The most Useless character in ASoIaF

Revan Baratheon

Most useless character - Areo Hotah. He's not even a character. GRRM clearly wanted to use a universal narrator (rather than PoV) in Dorne, so he created this blank-slate boring-as-dirt pair of eyes instead. UGH. BURN his chapters, BURN them!

Honorable mentions - Aeron Greyjoy, Penny, Jhiqui/Irri (though comic relief and HLA are worth something)

I hate the damphair, and the ironborn. They're just annoying little insects that want to fuck with everyone.

I'll borrow a quote from the Dark Knight and say " Some men (the ironborn) just want to see the world burn".

Most useless character - Areo Hotah. He's not even a character. GRRM clearly wanted to use a universal narrator (rather than PoV) in Dorne, so he created this blank-slate boring-as-dirt pair of eyes instead. UGH. BURN his chapters, BURN them!

Honorable mentions - Aeron Greyjoy, Penny, Jhiqui/Irri (though comic relief and HLA are worth something)

Huh? I like him, we see few people fight, but Areo never disappoints and i do think he will do somthing soon, because I think the Prince of Dorne's time is ticking. So im eager to see what Areo does

I would so agree bar one thing, and that is my crackpot that Aero Hotah, will be the new master-at-arms at the RK (Cersei was requesting a weapons master from Dorne) and he will provide a much needed POV for the Sandsnakes in KL......fingers crossed at least!

I'll stick with pov's as I don't remember names well.

Arys oakheart - Useless, he did only two things getting fucked by arriane and getting killed by areo hotah.

I actually liked Arys' POV and thought he was extremely well-written. His personality reminded me so much of Dunk that I was wondering if he was one of his descendants (he's from the Reach, and apparently pretty tall). The way that he was so manipulated by Arianne within the course of like, an hour, was extremely amusing (and a bit disturbing) and I think he died early not because he was feckless fool, but because he wanted to. When he gave Arianne that last longing look, it seemed obvious (to me at least) that he was choosing to die with honor rather than continue being Arianne's lover. It seems like he might have been aware that he was helpless before Arianne's sexual/vulnerable manipulations, and just couldn't take it anymore. This is all pure speculation, of course, but I definitely didn't find his character annoying. I thought it gave a lot of insight into Arianne, Myrcella, and Doran.

I believe Areo Hotah is a lot more than he seems. He is definitely a "simple man", but not dumb, and a keen observer. Why else is he called The Watcher? I think that it was branded into him (hah) not to have too many "original thoughts" as it seems that the bearded priests were trying to encourage absolute obedience to one's master...kinda like the Unsullied. There's even a parallel with the axe being his wife. I wish we knew more about these bearded priests and how they train people like Hotah. However, despite being able to console grieving princes, Hotah would not be an effective captain of the guards if he did not have intelligence. He reminds me of Grey Worm. If we were to have a GW POV, it might be very similar (I'm not saying I want one). I agree with other people who think that Areo has an important task coming up in the future...just a hunch.

Seems some folks aren't following the idea of this thread.

Useless character : Sansa Stark.

Reason : She hasn't done much as a POV other than offer a different perspective to events which she has little influence upon.

What has she done other than cry and be miserable? She is an important character without a doubt, but she epitomizes the term Useless, because she has not done anything under her own effort to change anything happening around her. She did lead the Hound towards humanity in a slight sense of the term, but it was nothing she did that brought it on....unless you credit her for being timid, meek, and innocent; but that is just another way of saying useless.

I would so agree bar one thing, and that is my crackpot that Aero Hotah, will be the new master-at-arms at the RK (Cersei was requesting a weapons master from Dorne) and he will provide a much needed POV for the Sandsnakes in KL......fingers crossed at least!

Splendid idea!!! I don't agree either that Aero Hotah is useless. He influenced a lot of the events in the last two books already, and serves a nice purpose....he is almost like a character equivalent to Grey Worm, or Kevan Lannister......Loyal, but not a necessarily important character, but necessary regardless.

I hate the damphair, and the ironborn. They're just annoying little insects that want to fuck with everyone.

I'll borrow a quote from the Dark Knight and say " Some men (the ironborn) just want to see the world burn".

If ever there is anyone in the story who is Useless...it would have to be Damphair. He only adds more ink to the story, but wholly an annoying presence.

My vote was for Sansa Stark tho.

Splendid idea!!! I don't agree either that Aero Hotah is useless. He influenced a lot of the events in the last two books already, and serves a nice purpose...

Influenced what praytell?? He says and does nothing even during his own PoVs. The only time he even takes physical action is when he is ATTACKED by an enraged knight and he defends himself. An unnamed character could have served this purpose just as easily.

Literally Areo is nothing but a pair of eyes at the moment. If he does something in the future I will accept that he is no longer useless at that point. For now, he is useless (and to compare him to someone like Sansa Stark is laughable - Sansa has done much more than be a pair of eyes even with very little freedom).

Reason : She hasn't done much as a POV other than offer a different perspective to events which she has little influence upon.

What has she done other than cry and be miserable? She is an important character without a doubt, but she epitomizes the term Useless, because she has not done anything under her own effort to change anything happening around her. She did lead the Hound towards humanity in a slight sense of the term, but it was nothing she did that brought it on....unless you credit her for being timid, meek, and innocent; but that is just another way of saying useless.

The original post was about characters who have no bearing on the plot. Even if you find her useless as a person (which I don't), her character undeniably had a great impact on the events around her. In GoT the whole affair with Lady exacerbates the tension between Lannisters and Starks, she pleads for Ned's life in front of the whole court (here's an example of something she did to try and change her situation on her own effort), she went to Cersei and told him her departure plans and some of her dad's plans, preventing herself and Arya from leaving through the boat to Winterfell for one thing. In later books her mere presence in KG saved Jaime's life and led to his release, when she told the Tyrells about Joffrey being a little shit she inadvertently caused him to be murdered, being married to Tyrion made Robb name Jon his heir, her escape led to Tyrion being framed for regicide, her presence in the Eyrie led LF to throws Lysa off the Moon Door etc. Whether you like her or not she has been 100 times more relevant to the plot that Areo Hotah ever will.

Huh? She was partly responsible for sealing Joff's fate in ASOS even further with the Tyrells; she actually wore the hairnet that held the fatal poison; Littlefinger has done some additional crazy shit to secure her, she has a huge role to play in Westerosi politics - either reclaiming Winterfell and the North, perhaps marrying Aegon etc. And none of this even factors into her relevance as a character on her own, and how her experiences bring out certain important themes in the series.

Rickon. I keep waiting and waiting for him to turn up and he never does. What is the point of his existance at all unless it is to have just one Stark out of the way of danger who can then return to rebuild Wintefell? This would be absolutely pointless as we have no emotional investment in Rickon, he may as well be a tree stump for all I care.

:lmao: I totally agree you on this one! Rickon just does not matter to me anymore. But my absolute vote's for Robert Arryn, useless as they come.

There was a play, i dont remember the title but the 2 POV actors are the Gravediggers from Hamlet. The whole point of the play is to show that these most certainly main characters are not the story's main charaters. Do you know what i mean? Like The Great Gatsby, Jay is the point of the story but, (uh Nick?) is the POV. ASOIAF is very similar, just because your not a POV you can still be a main character. Like Robb, not a main character at all, but is actually the hero for the Starks, so i dont think there are any minor characters, except Kevan Lannister lol

There was a play, i dont remember the title but the 2 POV actors are the Gravediggers from Hamlet. The whole point of the play is to show that these most certainly main characters are not the story's main charaters. Do you know what i mean? Like The Great Gatsby, Jay is the point of the story but, (uh Nick?) is the POV. ASOIAF is very similar, just because your not a POV you can still be a main character. Like Robb, not a main character at all, but is actually the hero for the Starks, so i dont think there are any minor characters, except Kevan Lannister lol

Rosenkrantz and..........

Do you mean Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead? They weren't the gravediggers, they were courtiers. But otherwise, same premise.

• 2 years later...

Archived