The most Useless character in ASoIaF

Revan Baratheon

So we all have characters we despise,characters we appreciate,"meh" characters and "grey" characters.There are also characters who are generally boring and painful to read but serve some purpose towards the completion of the plot.

And then there is that one completely useleas character that has no impact on the story watsoever,usually relegated as a pathetic plot device,can be easily subsituted by another..

I want you guys to tell me that person:for me it was penny tyrions "soulmate" gods wat an aweful character,we already know tyrion can be good to women(sansa) so why was this character there?And also note the clumsy and unrealistic way she's introduced to tyrion's story and how she totally thrashes tyrion's story(jousting on pigs omfg and never meeting dany!!!) and personality(he becomes this weird slave monkey guy)

The thing with tyrion,was that up until ADWD i never really felt of tyrion like ur stereotypical dwarf,he was just so classy and witty and had important roles that we liked tyrion the man not the dwarf.

In ADWD by giving him a dwarf companion,making him a monkey/slave and making every quip dwarf-oriented,tyrion was ruined for me....

Penny shouldnt have been there and tyrion and jorah should have continued to mereen and found dany,instead of the slave stotyline..i mean who do u prefer ACOK tyrion or ADWD??

(please list only one most useless character)

I gotta admit a soft spot for Penny. But you can tell me I have bad taste; I won't mind. I do think (hope) that Penny will serve some greater purpose, eventually.

Useless: Quentyn, though I kinda liked him as a character. Well, useless except as a several-chapter plot device for releasing the dragons from captivity. Seriously couldn't there be like an Essos-brand PETA group that let them out or something?

Seriously couldn't there be like an Essos-brand PETA group that let them out or something?

Barristan should have let them out! He could have found out that Hizdahr was planning to kill them, and let them out to save them. Quentyn ended up serving as unnecessary filler, IMHO.

Useless: Quentyn, though I kinda liked him as a character. Well, useless except as a several-chapter plot device for releasing the dragons from captivity. Seriously couldn't there be like an Essos-brand PETA group that let them out or something?

can't disagree. he'd be my vote as well. he was useless with half his companions dead before the story started.

Dorne seems to find itself in the middle of a lot of hate-wars.

Dorne vs Lannister = Elia's murder, Oberon's death by combat, Myrcella's ear

Dorne vs Tyrell = jousting injury to Willas

Dorne vs Targaryen = Quentyn getting crisped by Dani's dragons

Well to be fair to dany,it was that fool's fault who thought he was " blood of dragon"

I don't normally see many characters in this story to be useless, but my vote will definitely go to Quentyn as well. I was starting to like the fool and then BOOM, he is suddenly dragon munchie. There was some build up for him starting in AFfC and when he finally pops up he fails at just about everything he was set out to do. Anyone could had freed those dragons, since the result was just going to have them eaten in the end.

Quentyn appears to be useless at first glance, but that's why I think that his plot line actually will end up being important, because otherwise, why have him at all? There has to be some fallout in Dorne over his death, because otherwise, what was his purpose? I think he does have one, it's just that we won't see its implications until the next two books, when, for instance, Dany tries to ally with Dorne only to find that the offer is no longer open. So I'm holding my judgment on Quentyn's usefulness until I can see how it actually pans out.

My vote would go to one of the Greyjoy brothers.

Rickon. I keep waiting and waiting for him to turn up and he never does. What is the point of his existance at all unless it is to have just one Stark out of the way of danger who can then return to rebuild Wintefell? This would be absolutely pointless as we have no emotional investment in Rickon, he may as well be a tree stump for all I care.

I don't think Penny is bad per se, but she's... I dunno. She seems like she's there to serve some kind of character development in Tyrion.

At least she has precedent for appearing and isn't just somewhere out of the blue, but still...

Rickon. I keep waiting and waiting for him to turn up and he never does. What is the point of his existance at all unless it is to have just one Stark out of the way of danger who can then return to rebuild Wintefell? This would be absolutely pointless as we have no emotional investment in Rickon, he may as well be a tree stump for all I care.

I know, right? Everyone is saying he's going to be some wild cannibal warlord, but... I mean, imagine how many people are going to be disappointed if Rickon doesn't turn out to be that awesome.

My vote would have to go to Pate. What is the purpose of introducing a character only to have him murdered by Jaquen H'ager, who then assumes his identity. Will we ever know that storyline behind that?

Lollys also seems to be pretty useless...and annoying. Maybe her character arc is a red herring and she really is The Great Other. :devil:

I'm tempted to include Robert Arryn, but I've been exprecting the little shit to die for that last three books. I'm beginning to think that he will survive and end up becoming the king of the mountain and vale. :bowdown:

Howland Reed anyone? If he doesn't show up in the next book, I'm going to start sending GRRM hatemail.

My vote would have to go to Pate. What is the purpose of introducing a character only to have him murdered by Jaquen H'ager, who then assumes his identity. Will we ever know that storyline behind that?

Lollys also seems to be pretty useless...and annoying. Maybe her character arc is a red herring and she really is The Great Other. :devil:

I'm tempted to include Robert Arryn, but I've been exprecting the little shit to die for that last three books. I'm beginning to think that he will survive and end up becoming the king of the mountain and vale. :bowdown:

Howland Reed anyone? If he doesn't show up in the next book, I'm going to start sending GRRM hatemail.

This doesn't seem so much a list of "useless" people so much as a list of "people whose arcs haven't been fulfilled yet." :P

I believe its a martin tradition to have the Prologue POV killed in every book,so they usually are just some obscure plot device characters.For eg. U can say the same thing about faramyr,gared,cressen etc.

I agree with what u said about robert arryn,cant wait for him to die,maby Sansa will do the honour?

I'm assuming Jaqen is performing some mission at the Citadel, for which he has taken Pate's identity, and it will involve Samwell and Alleras.

As for Lollys... she was just a stepping stone for Bronn's ascent (I will be gleeful if he, out of everyone, makes it out of this unambiguously better off than when he started).

Archived