The Gravedigging Hound - Complete analysis

Cosmic Maintenance Man

What about the burned side of his face? They got close enough to the grave digger that he could fling dirt at them so they would have seen his face. Also concerning the horse, didn't Arya look after Stranger also? Don't remember her having any problems with him.

Sandor's face was covered with a scarf, as all novices' faces were on the QI. And, yes, Arya did look after Stranger. But when she tried to run off with him, he tried to bite her face off.

Oh, man...you so prompt me with your posts, Littlespider.

I just read this and then got a mental visual...

Monk: "Thank you, Novice Sandor, but the bread is still not hot."

Monk 2: "Yes, Novice, you will have to go back and tell the baker to heat it."

Sandor:" Really? Not hot enough for you. Bugger that! Go get your own f%$#$%* bread!"

LOL! Ah, the visual...

He does seem a bit rough with his gravedigging, too, flinging dirt around.

Sandor reminds me of Will Munny in the 1992 movie Unforgiven, one of the best characters in movies in all time IMHO and also one of the BESTEST movies ever (if you like westerns) _ there's even a line he delivers just before fighting the big baddie, that is very close to some things Sandor has said himself.

Sandor also reminds me of anothe epic movie character, Charles Bronson's in Once upon a time in the West, now referring to his vengeance-driven personality against Gregor: roots in childhood trauma.

I've always loved westerns and their awesome heros and anti-heros, and Sandor seems to me very much like those guys. I bet GRRM could write amazing scripts for western movies.

• 3 weeks later...

and action of his in the infamous "Bedroom Scene."

B. How distraught, unhinged, regretful, and disturbed he sounds when Arya leaves him regarding his Sansa memoirs.

C. Pretty much his non-stop blustering and thinking about Sansa in books 2 and 3.

Who knows what is going to happen, but I don't feel he will just stay in the QI forever, knowing she is out there somewhere after all he's said and done. Way too passionate about her for that, for good or bad.

Instead, I bathed his fevered brow with river water, and gave him wine to drink and a poultice for his wound, but my efforts were too little and too late. The Hound died there, in my arms.

This part always stuck out at me because it sounded more like a baptism with wine and the pouring water on his head than anything else which could be seen as a ritual of rebirth.

I for one think theres some really strong evidence here but it also leads me to think this might be a stopping point for him, at least for a long while.

Great thread and discussion. Thanx!

In a Feast of Crows, Brienne Chapter when she arrives in Duskendale she stops a woman asking about Sansa

Paraphrasing:

Brienne: "Im looking for a girl, looks like this and that and would be travelling with a drunken knight"

Woman: "what is her name"

Brienne: (not wanting to disclose the name and not smart enough to think quickly) "I don't know"

Woman: "There are many of those girls in the lichyard"

Sandor had a thing for Sansa and its being argued that he is a gravedigger working in a lichyard. Could this be a little foreshadowing that Sandor is also looking for Sansa?

Something will wash up on QI that will bring him out. What exactly it will be I can't puzzle out. Does Sansa still have his white cloak?

No, she had to leave it behind with all of her stuff in KL. She had snuck out a change of clothing, including a cloak and shoes prior to the PW that she changed in to during her escape. She only took the hairnet with her, everything else stayed behind.

The question I always have is why no one ever looked through her stuff and commented on it. Seems like a blood-stained and dirty cloak would stand out.

No, she had to leave it behind with all of her stuff in KL. She had snuck out a change of clothing, including a cloak and shoes prior to the PW that she changed in to during her escape. She only took the hairnet with her, everything else stayed behind.

The question I always have is why no one ever looked through her stuff and commented on it. Seems like a blood-stained and dirty cloak would stand out.

And a cloak that clearly belonged to a member of the Kingsguard. Yep, I've always wondered that myself.

Sandor is not the only one hiding out on Quiet Isle, So is Ser Arhur Dayne, Ser whent and rhe 5 northern lords who accompanied Ned to the Tower of Joy,remember then brothers who had thier faces covered, they are waiting for the 7th ruby. Just kidding.

:lol:

Oh, man...you so prompt me with your posts, Littlespider.

I just read this and then got a mental visual...

Monk: "Thank you, Novice Sandor, but the bread is still not hot."

Monk 2: "Yes, Novice, you will have to go back and tell the baker to heat it."

Sandor:" Really? Not hot enough for you. Bugger that! Go get your own f%$#$%* bread!"

LOL! Ah, the visual...

Or "Novice Sandor, would you mind lighting a few candles? The night hastens, and we must -"

"AAAAAAAAAHHHHH FIREEEEEEE SAVE MEE FROM THE FIREEEE"

I don't think the Hound necessarily has to completely change and suddenly become champion of the faith. He could very well be biding his time, healing, and plotting. or is it scheming?

I would rather the Hound/Sandor be dead or chilling on the QI for the rest of the series then come back as some holy brother of the faith. No one has that big of an about face. Jaime (whom I adore) still has plenty of sucky characteristics even though he has developed a sense of honor/a conscience--sort of...but that took what, 3 books? No way does Sandor disappear and suddenly become the new High Septon...although how badass would that be....

No, the Hound dreamed of slaying his own brother but that Hound died, if Sandor were to return for the purpose of hunting Gregor it would mean his character has not grown.

Good point but I believe Sandor will ultimately be the one to confront what his brother has become. The important difference will be that his motivation for doing so will have changed.

Archived