Rossifuss

Hi, I'm Rossifuss and this is my first thread! I'm from Northern Ireland, I've read all the books and my favourite character is Barristan Selmy.

Right. Just wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about Ned's mum, the wife of Rickard Stark? Perhaps my memory is fuzzy but I can't recall too much being said about her throughout the series which seems a bit strange as we hear a great deal about families such as the Targaryans or Martells and their respective histories.

Was she of noble birth? A member of another powerful family? Maybe she was of Flint or Norrey descent.

I've lurked on this forum for months now but couldn't resist joining in! Hope someone can come up with an answer!

Nice to meet you, Rossifuss.

If you clicky on one of the Starks on the wiki page, you get a family tree that shows Rickard (Ned's dad) married an "unkown" (Ned's mother) who is herself descended from Clan Flint maternally.

Nice to meet you, Rossifuss.

If you clicky on one of the Starks on the wiki page, you get a family tree that shows Rickard (Ned's dad) married an "unkown" (Ned's mother) who is herself is descended from Clan Flint maternally.

Could there be any reason GRRM hasn't revealed her identity yet? It would be great if Bran could look back and allow us to see what kind of person she was.

Could there be any reason GRRM hasn't revealed her identity yet?

I recall an interview or chatsession where there was a question about Ned's mother. If my brain isn't wightified (it's late where I live) he said that no one ever asked Tolkien about Aragorns mother :frown5:

Welcome to the boards Rossifuss!

There is a theory (completely unsubstantiated) that she was from Skagos and Rickon is hiding with his Grandmother's kin there, which is why Manderly hasn't been able to get Rickon and needs a smuggler to do so.

There is a theory (completely unsubstantiated) that she was from Skagos and Rickon is hiding with his Grandmother's kin there, which is why Manderly hasn't been able to get Rickon and needs a smuggler to do so.

I find this intriguing. A bit crackpot, yes, but it gives some logic/reason/motive behind Osha/Rickon/Shaggy finding refuge on an island inhabited by cannibals.

Thanks, all!

It seemed odd to me that Eddard never thought of her but then again, he had a lot on his plate at the time. Since the rest of the family don't know her she must have died before Robert's Rebellion. Maybe she's been forgotten. :bawl:

I find this intriguing. A bit crackpot, yes, but it gives some logic/reason/motive behind Osha/Rickon/Shaggy finding refuge on an island inhabited by cannibals.

Wouldn't a better reason be that Osha is a wildling and Skagos might have closer relations with wildlings than any other part of the realm?

Thanks, all!

It seemed odd to me that Eddard never thought of her but then again, he had a lot on his plate at the time. Since the rest of the family don't know her she must have died before Robert's Rebellion. Maybe she's been forgotten. :bawl:

Gone, but not forgotten.

The North remembers... :)

Wouldn't a better reason be that Osha is a wildling and Skagos might have closer relations with wildlings than any other part of the realm?

It's quite possible, but too speculative at this point without much evidence from the text to substantiate.

Skagos has a rather ominous reputation, so only the more intrepid or desperate wildlings would venture there, I imagine.

It's quite possible, but too speculative at this point without much evidence from the text to substantiate.

Skagos has a rather ominous reputation, so only the more intrepid or desperate wildlings would venture there, I imagine.

Does Skagos have an ominous reputation among the wildlings? I seem to recall they have bad rep in the rest of the North, but so do the Wildlings, for that matter. They might be more like the Thenns or perhaps the Mountain Clans in the Vale. Either way, I think the whole cannibalism thing might be oversold, and that we shouldn't crack so many pots about Skagos.

That's right Rapsie (and as I read in another thread) Davos, Osha, and Rickon will show up in the north to kick some butt with a SKAGOSI HORDE!!! It is known!

In all seriousness though I remember reading something like Lady Stark wasn't thought about but, now she will be in the world book and it's something cool

Does Skagos have an ominous reputation among the wildlings? I seem to recall they have bad rep in the rest of the North, but so do the Wildlings, for that matter. They might be more like the Thenns or perhaps the Mountain Clans in the Vale. Either way, I think the whole cannibalism thing might be oversold, and that we shouldn't crack so many pots about Skagos.

You may have a point. I believe there are wildling clans described in the books who partake in cannibalism. Cannot recall exactly which ones.

Thanks, all!

Hi Rossifuss. Well, although I never once thought about Aragorns Mum I always found it a bit odd we never heard anything about Lady Stark.

AGOT Arya IV.

The kids play in the crypts. Bran is as little as Rickon is at the start of ASOIAF, three or four.

<Robb took them all the way down to the end, past Grandfather and Brandon and Lyanna, to show them their own tombs.>

Here no mentioning of Grandmother or a tomb either. But she probably wasn't a Stark so if she was dead her bones were probably given back to her House.

I suppose if Catelyn had died at Winterfell she would have been brought back to Riverrun to get a Tully river-funeral.

I have high hopes for the companion book for ASOIAF and that there is more information given about the Stark lineage.

Why does everyone need to have two parents? Why can't we just have Rickard be an asexual organism and Brandon, Lyanna, Ned, and Benjen were budded off a mole on his elbow?

It works for jellyfish.

Patchface told me....

Do we really know if the cannibal story is true? Could it be folklore and everyone is afraid to go there?

Their reputation as cannibals seems to have sprung from the story of the Skagosi men raiding Skane, where they kidnapped the women and killed the men, gorging on their hearts and livers a fortnight.

Allegedly, Skane has been uninhabited ever since.

Archived