Rossifuss

AGOT Arya IV.

The kids play in the crypts. Bran is as little as Rickon is at the start of ASOIAF, three or four.

<Robb took them all the way down to the end, past Grandfather and Brandon and Lyanna, to show them their own tombs.>

Here no mentioning of Grandmother or a tomb either. But she probably wasn't a Stark so if she was dead her bones were probably given back to her House.

I suppose if Catelyn had died at Winterfell she would have been brought back to Riverrun to get a Tully river-funeral.

I have high hopes for the companion book for ASOIAF and that there is more information given about the Stark lineage.

But the crypts were for the Stark lords only. The only reason Lyanna was there, iirc, was because Ned loved her so much he buried her there.

For that matter, what happens to other Starks who aren't lords of Winterfell? Is it ever mentioned where they are buried?

As for Ned's mother - as much as I'd like to know more, I think there's waaaay too many characters in the books already to follow what's happened to everyone. But it'd be nice to hear at least something like "she died when Ned was little" or whatever. But then there'd surely be 100s of conspiracy theories coming up about her death, so maybe it's better she's never mentioned at all ;)

But the crypts were for the Stark lords only. The only reason Lyanna was there, iirc, was because Ned loved her so much he buried her there.

For that matter, what happens to other Starks who aren't lords of Winterfell? Is it ever mentioned where they are buried?

I had the impression that all the Starks and family were buried in the crypts. Only the kings, lords, and Lyanna have statues. There was (don't remember where or when) a scene and it mention the Stark kids had crypts waiting for them.

That was my first impression too, until other people on this board pointed out this text:

AGOT Arya IV

Arya remembers the kids were playing in the crypts.

<Robb took them all the way down to the end, past Grandfather and Brandon and Lyanna, to show them their own tombs.>

I think that their own tombs means that there were tombs reserved for all the Stark kids. Not for Jon, he played ghost and later in the scene scared them by coming out of another tomb covered in white.

I bet she was a Targaryen...aren't they all? ;)

Concerning Aragorn's mother, there's a whole lot of stuff about her in those History of Middle Earth books. I've forgotten her name because it's been a while, but it is actually pretty detailed, so that's not an excuse. Not even if it comes from GRRM :P

Concerning Aragorn's mother, there's a whole lot of stuff about her in those History of Middle Earth books. I've forgotten her name because it's been a while, but it is actually pretty detailed, so that's not an excuse. Not even if it comes from GRRM :P

The story of Gilraen, mother of Aragorn, is given some attention by Tolkien in the Appendices in Return of the King (Specifically Appendix A); at least who her parents were, how old she was when Arathorn fell in love with her; her mother's foresight about their union (Gilraen's father thought she was much too young to marry); later, Gilraen's reaction to Arathorn's youthful declaration of love for Arwen, and, some forty years later, Gilraen's depression and death (including some detail about her last conversation with her son). Tolkien gave Gilraen far more attention than GRRM gave Ned Stark's mother....

Sorry, off topic. You're right. It's not in the official wiki, but in other sources Aragorns mother has a name: Gilraen. Thank you for making me look beyond my nose. From LOTR we know that his mother gave him to Elrund so that his descent and being king remained a secret. Eh ... where did I hear that before :crying:

Sorry, off topic. You're right. It's not in the official wiki, but in other sources Aragorns mother has a name: Gilraen. Thank you for making me look beyond my nose. From LOTR we know that his mother gave him to Elrund so that his descent and being king remained a secret. Eh ... where did I hear that before :crying:

Gilraen did not give Aragorn to Elrond. Arathorn, Gilraen's husband, was killed by a troll when their son was very young (two or four). Gilraen and Aragorn took refuge with the Elves, in Rivendell; and their whereabouts were kept secret for 20 years; Aragorn was renamed Estel and kept ignorant of his true identity until he was 20. But before that, Elrond, Master of Rivendell, had fostered Aragorn's ancestors for a thousand years or more...

I hope that GRRM will at least reveal the name of Ned's mother. Ned seems to have had compassion and respect for women, even his enemies; he might well have had a strong mother who made a lasting and positive impression on him.

As for Ned's mother - as much as I'd like to know more, I think there's waaaay too many characters in the books already to follow what's happened to everyone. But it'd be nice to hear at least something like "she died when Ned was little" or whatever. But then there'd surely be 100s of conspiracy theories coming up about her death, so maybe it's better she's never mentioned at all ;)

"Ned stopped at last and lifted the oil lantern. The crypt continued on into darkness ahead of them, but beyond this point the tombs were empty and usealed; black holes waiting for their dead, waiting for him and his childred."

I recall an interview or chatsession where there was a question about Ned's mother. If my brain isn't wightified (it's late where I live) he said that no one ever asked Tolkien about Aragorns mother :frown5:

That's actually not true, if you look at all the letters Tolkien received ;)

Archived