Dothraki and the Winter

Roboginger

I posted this here to avoid inadvertently running into a spoiler.

My Question is: if the Winters are so Ruff and have the potential to last 10+ years, on the other Continent do they not have winter?

if so would it be possible for people from the 7 kingdoms to hop a boat across the narrow sea and hang out in a warmer climate?

they would probably not be willing to leave their homes and such but extreme circumstances call for extreme measures sometimes.

:smoking:

Robo

I wondered the same. I asked a similar question in the "General ASOIAF" subforum about, where it was said that Essos has seasons just like Westeros has. Braavos for example gets stormy weather as winter approaches, and likely they'll have shitty / snowy weather all throughout winter.

Most of Essos doesn't have such hard winter, though, since f.ex. Myr and Tyrtosh are on the same latitude as the Reach, and Volantis on the same latitude as Dorne. Regions such as Valyria, Ghis or Qarth are even further south and they would likely not get any snow even during a harsh Westerosi winter.

If you have enough money to buy food for 1-2 years, it would certainly be possible to hop a boat and spend winter in Volantis :)

However that's a lot of money and if you're a feudal lord you would rather eat your (peasants') own food and stay in your lands.

Should Winter become really terrible, people would probably wish they were somewhere else, but with the seas being stormy / iced over and money being scarce few, if any, would have the means to escape Westeros. The free cities would not look kindly to boatloads of hungry refugees with no coin. Selling yourself into slavery would be the only recourse to avoid starvation.

If the coming winter heralds the coming of the "Long Night" then all of the world is screwed though, even Volantis and Qarth.

I wondered the same. I asked a similar question in the "General ASOIAF" subforum about, where it was said that Essos has seasons just like Westeros has. Braavos for example gets stormy weather as winter approaches, and likely they'll have shitty / snowy weather all throughout winter.

Most of Essos doesn't have such hard winter, though, since f.ex. Myr and Tyrtosh are on the same latitude as the Reach, and Volantis on the same latitude as Dorne. Regions such as Valyria, Ghis or Qarth are even further south and they would likely not get any snow even during a harsh Westerosi winter.

If you have enough money to buy food for 1-2 years, it would certainly be possible to hop a boat and spend winter in Volantis :)

However that's a lot of money and if you're a feudal lord you would rather eat your (peasants') own food and stay in your lands.

Should Winter become really terrible, people would probably wish they were somewhere else, but with the seas being stormy / iced over and money being scarce few, if any, would have the means to escape Westeros. The free cities would not look kindly to boatloads of hungry refugees with no coin. Selling yourself into slavery would be the only recourse to avoid starvation.

If the coming winter heralds the coming of the "Long Night" then all of the world is screwed though, even Volantis and Qarth.

Totally off-topic, but since you seem to know a lot about the geography of the world, I'd like to ask you something. Do you know if there exists a map of Westeros, Essos, including the Summer Islands, Valyria, Qarth, the Slavers Bay. All of it in one map. It would be good to know where some of the places are situated on the map.

Totally off-topic, but since you seem to know a lot about the geography of the world, I'd like to ask you something. Do you know if there exists a map of Westeros, Essos, including the Summer Islands, Valyria, Qarth, the Slavers Bay. All of it in one map. It would be good to know where some of the places are situated on the map.

I don't there are any official maps of the whole world but you can find some fan made ones on google.

• 7 months later...

only song of ice and fire map you'll ever need

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

To answer the original question-of course Essos and the other continents would be affected by winter. But since they are more to the south they would be less affected in someplace like Valyria, than they would in, say, Winterfell. Even in Westeros itself places more to the south experience a winter, even a decade long one, less. King's Landing doesn't get it as bad as the Wall.

Archived