Songs for the Show

Lord Barristan

Do you all think they will actually write versions of some of the songs from the books?

I'm thinking mainly of The Rains of Castamere of course and the Bear and the Maiden Fair.

I want to see how they can adapt the words to music. The Rains of Castamere is very important in the plot, and sums up the world so well. I don't think the Red Wedding will have the same impact without "And who are you the proud lord said, that I should bow so low?"

I found version of it on YouTube:

Also The Bear and the Maiden fair was a great literary tool as was the song Marillion sings during the whole Lyssa/Sansa altercation.

They probably would transfer the book songs into the show. I, personally, will throw a tantrum that will put my toddler to shame if they left this scene and little tune out of season 2.

The girl who did this is very talented and her voice is beautiful. I am curious to see how they interpret the song on the show. Afterall, this scene MUST stay on the show or else... :tantrum: .

They probably would transfer the book songs into the show. I, personally, will throw a tantrum that will put my toddler to shame if they left this scene and little tune out of season 2.

The girl who did this is very talented and her voice is beautiful. I am curious to see how they interpret the song on the show. Afterall, this scene MUST stay on the show or else... :tantrum: .

As soon as I heard this song I immediately pictured a big chunk of the Battle of Blackwater scene alternating between Sansa in the sept in Maegor's holdfast with the women and children singing that song and shots of the actual battle (with the song in the background). That could even be the end of the episode (which is going to be S2E09 IIRC) where we see Tyrion get wounded and then King's Landing seemingly lost. It would totally work.

The season finale could then open with Sansa rushing off to be locked away, or this could be shown in the battle/singing montage with the last episode opening to bells ringing from Sansa's POV in the tower.

It will be interesting how the interpret the song itself - I like the haunting version from that youtube video, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for what Sansa would be singing in the sept to help comfort people. I always imagined it being a bit more of a traditional upbeat hymn, probably in a major key (...my supremely inadequate music knowledge tells me the you tube recording is in a minor key, but I might have made that up).

As soon as I heard this song I immediately pictured a big chunk of the Battle of Blackwater scene alternating between Sansa in the sept in Maegor's holdfast with the women and children singing that song and shots of the actual battle (with the song in the background). That could even be the end of the episode (which is going to be S2E09 IIRC) where we see Tyrion get wounded and then King's Landing seemingly lost. It would totally work.

The season finale could then open with Sansa rushing off to be locked away, or this could be shown in the battle/singing montage with the last episode opening to bells ringing from Sansa's POV in the tower.

It will be interesting how the interpret the song itself - I like the haunting version from that youtube video, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for what Sansa would be singing in the sept to help comfort people. I always imagined it being a bit more of a traditional upbeat hymn, probably in a major key (...my supremely inadequate music knowledge tells me the you tube recording is in a minor key, but I might have made that up).

I was actually thinking of another scene with this song ;) , "sing little bird, sing for your little life"

when Sansa finds Sandor in her room and he demands a song. This is the song she sings to him. You can tell that it stirred something inside him and it was so fitting for him considering his tortured state. He also offers to take her away from KL and swore he'd never let anyone hurt her.

But, I do like your concept of how to add the song to the scenes of Blackwater. It would be very epic and the scenes and the music would flow very well together.

• 2 weeks later...

That version of The Rains of Castamere is pretty damn good. I hope they implement it, if no other song, into the show for RW in particular, it made the whole scene that little bit more galling and epic. Although for that to work we'll have to hear the story of House Reyne from Tyrion/Jaime (can't remember who first talks about it in the book) or something and have the song heard once before it comes to RW.

I am also looking forward to see how they implement the Rains of Castamere when the RW rolls around. It justs add to the intensity of that event and I know just hearing it on the show is going to give me chills.

Another song I sort of want to see in a much lighter scene is - ASoS spoilers maybe:

Mance singing the Dornishman's Wife when Jon first meets him.

I like that he was a singer and muscian. It kind of adds another layer to his character.

This Sansa's Hymn is utterly gorgeous and so is the idea about hearing it over the battle!

So far, I really like how GRRM has been using songs in his books to drive certain plot points across. Can't wait to see how HBO handles them.

Were there many uses of song driving the plot points forward in A Game of Thrones? We got pretty much zero songs in season one anyway. Even that musician on the way to the Eyrie was cut (except for having a rock being thrown at his lute lol).

I think there are certain instances where the songs are pretty vital to the story. I hope we see more of them in the upcoming seasons. It would be a shame for Martin's lyrics to go unused.

Were there many uses of song driving the plot points forward in A Game of Thrones? We got pretty much zero songs in season one anyway. Even that musician on the way to the Eyrie was cut (except for having a rock being thrown at his lute lol).

I think there are certain instances where the songs are pretty vital to the story. I hope we see more of them in the upcoming seasons. It would be a shame for Martin's lyrics to go unused.

IIRC, there were not really any musical moments in AGoT besides the lute player on the way to the Eyrie and the one who made the song about King Robert that Joff had his tounge cut out...was that in the book or just the show? I don't remember. There weren't any really siginificant moments involving music in the first book that I can remember. Nothing like Sansa's bedroom chamber scene during Blackwater in ACoK or "the Rains of Castamere" in ASoS during that wedding.

I think the show will most likely keep them and I am curious to see how they are performed on the show. I agree that Martin's lyrics are something that shouldn't be wasted and they are quite telling of the scenes in which they are used.

aww yes, :agree: the song was very pretty and i sincerley hope they put this on the show...

Archived