Who is the Main character of ASOIAF?

This is something I want to know. Who is the Main Character of this series? I mean, because the series is slowly changing from Low Fantasy to High Fantasy, who is going to be the character who will ultimately be the person who will save Westeros from the Others?

I have know idea who it is going to be, you who do you guys think is going to be the one who be, in lack of a better terms for this series, the hero.

There shall be no heroes, no protagonist, it's a realistic story, they are all the heroes of their own stories... that is what is magical and beautiful about our Song of Ice and Fire.

I have to say, I will be very, very disappointed if, after 5 books of political intrigue and plotting, the whole book suddenly becomes about "The great fight against the snow zombies". I mean, I don't doubt that the Others will play a part in the book, and that they will have to be driven back, I just don't really like the idea that after so many years and books, all the characters and politics will take a backseat so that one person will play superhero-saviour person and spend the next two books leading battles against the others. LAME!

As for who is the main character, I don't think there is one "main character". I think there's good arguments to be made for several different scenarios- the books being about the past and future of Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen, the books being about the Stark kids (including Jon) growing up, hell, if necessary, I could probably argue that the books are about which of the major plotters will win the Game Of Thrones (Littlefinger, Varys, TQoT, etc.). Personally, I don't think there is a single main character, or group of main characters- I think that the "main character" is the Westeros political landscape, and we're watching it change over the series, watch people try to seize control of it, what people do when they have power over it, people who could use their position to gain power, etc. I think to say "Well, Character A is the main character of the series, and everything is either about them, or pointless", is to miss out on a lot of what is awesome about ASOIAF.

As far as "major characters" go, I think the remaining Stark kids, as well as Jon and Daenerys (and Tyrion and his siblings) will prove to be major characters in the remaining two books of the series. I also think that Aegon (fake or not), and Varys and Littlefinger will be ones to watch. But I don't think any one of them will be the be all and end all of the series.

for me, this story is so interesting because I can't find ONE main character and because each character seems to be important for the story to go on. Lets for instance take a look at Gendry, or Hot Pie or Lady of Thornes. They are minor characters when it comes to the main plot, still the story would definitely miss something if they were absent. Plus, in this way, more people can find a character to connect to.

I have to say, I will be very, very disappointed if, after 5 books of political intrigue and plotting, the whole book suddenly becomes about "The great fight against the snow zombies". I mean, I don't doubt that the Others will play a part in the book, and that they will have to be driven back, I just don't really like the idea that after so many years and books, all the characters and politics will take a backseat so that one person will play superhero-saviour person and spend the next two books leading battles against the others. LAME!

I guessing the Others have more than just "march into the 7 kingdoms, kill everybody" on their mind, and so the plot will stay complex. It's just we don't know anything about them at all other than that they are a threat, so it seems like it could end up with a big "humans vs. monsters" battle at the end.

There's going to be a battle with the Others. And what better way to burn Others than by dragon fire? So, I think Jon, Dany and Tyrion will be the three heads of the dragon against the Others. This is different than who will sit the Iron Throne and unite the 7 Kingdoms like the Targaryens did. I'm thinking Bran or Rickon with Rickon being more likely as I think Bran's destiny is to be with Bloodraven, sitting in the weirwood roots.

As for who is the main character, I don't think there is one "main character". I think there's good arguments to be made for several different scenarios- the books being about the past and future of Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen, the books being about the Stark kids (including Jon) growing up, hell, if necessary, I could probably argue that the books are about which of the major plotters will win the Game Of Thrones (Littlefinger, Varys, TQoT, etc.). Personally, I don't think there is a single main character, or group of main characters- I think that the "main character" is the Westeros political landscape, and we're watching it change over the series, watch people try to seize control of it, what people do when they have power over it, people who could use their position to gain power, etc. I think to say "Well, Character A is the main character of the series, and everything is either about them, or pointless", is to miss out on a lot of what is awesome about ASOIAF.

As far as "major characters" go, I think the remaining Stark kids, as well as Jon and Daenerys (and Tyrion and his siblings) will prove to be major characters in the remaining two books of the series. I also think that Aegon (fake or not), and Varys and Littlefinger will be ones to watch. But I don't think any one of them will be the be all and end all of the series.

I know what you mean about hoping we're not disappointed at the end with a good against snow zombie battle. I'd hate that too.

I so agree with you but on one point:

Oh, how I wish he was dead, I truly hate him, hate this character, really !

still, the fact that you have so strong feelings for him shows that his presence is crucial. I know it wouldn't be the same without the Tyrells ;)

I increasingly suspect that the main clashes with the Others are not going to dominate the final book considering how there are still many plot threads raging on. The Others will definitely matter and there may even be something resembling a new War for the Dawn, however it will not necessarily take the expected form or last as long as might often be perceived.

I don't think there is a stand-out main character in ASOIAF. There are a group of main characters who have been alive from A Game of Thrones through to A Dance with Dragons and whose POVs have been in the first three and then in either A Feast for Crows or A Dance with Dragons.. Each book seems to have it's own set of main characters which isn't necessarily the same as the previous or the next book in the series. Since the beginning we've had Jon, Bran, Sansa, Arya, Tyrion and Dany, but other POV characters have been introduced, most notably Jaime and Cersei, whose stories as crucial to the storylines.

Archived