Who is the Main character of ASOIAF?

While going through the numbers, some kind of picture emerges. It seems that Tyrion and Jon Snow are the (clearly) most important characters thus far, while Arya's sideplot have been given more focus than Daenerys'. I'd count Arya as a main character too, if the gap wasn't so large - she appears "more primary" than Daenerys, at least.

PoV Chapters:

1. Tyrion - 46

2. Jon Snow - 42

3. Arya - 33

4. Daenerys - 31

5. Catelyn - 25

6. Sansa - 24

7. Bran - 21

8. Jaime - 17

9. Ned - 15

Mentions by name

1. Jon Snow - 3009

2. Tyrion - 2932

3. Arya - 1767

4. Jaime - 1701

5. Daenerys - 1594

6. Sansa - 1524

7. Bran - 1439

8. Eddard - 1367

9. Catelyn - 1229

PoV Chapters:

1. Tyrion - 46

2. Jon Snow - 42

3. Arya - 33

4. Daenerys - 31

5. Catelyn - 25

6. Sansa - 24

7. Bran - 21

8. Jaime - 17

9. Ned - 15

Mentions by name

1. Jon Snow - 3009

2. Tyrion - 2932

3. Arya - 1767

4. Jaime - 1701

5. Daenerys - 1594

6. Sansa - 1524

7. Bran - 1439

8. Eddard - 1367

9. Catelyn - 1229

Number of mentions and POVs is important value - but more important is TOTAL LENGTH of these POVs. Three 10-page POVs are less then one 40page POV...

Samwell Tarly will save all of Westeros.....or, Sandor Clegane. :bowdown:

Seriously, the Turncloak is being kept around for some reason. Reek, reek, it rhymes with sneak! I see him as playing a very pivotal role still. GRRM sneak peak at the new novel is a chapter called "Theon."

The beauty of the series is the mosaic of characters working toward their own ambitions, or "for the good of the realm." However, there seems to be the invisible characters, i.e. the "gods," that have a determining role as well. They are ultimately, sovereignly, and arbitrarily manipulating the outcome for the mortals.

Who will be Azor Ahai? Jon? If he is not dead......This is a key plot point. The showdown with the Others. Winter is coming.

I wouldn't take the number of mentions too seriously, really. Daenerys is only mentioned by one POV outside of her own once before AFFC, so it's a surprise that she's as high as she is. Tyrion, Jon and Arya, on the other hand, interact with a number of other POV characters and are frequently in the thoughts of POV characters.

Jon Snow's total is also brought up a lot by the overload of Ygritte's "You know nothing, Jon Snow", I'd imagine. :P

Collectively the Stark Children:

One is too young to do much at the moment but future wise...

Two are in training to do battles and two in training to do political work along with what Fantasy said above about morality, justice, ambition, love

All of which we could place a Stark name to each.

I think Skeksi has the right of it.... all the major characters thus far have played significant role.... and the amount of time invested in their character development would be to waste if one character jumos up and saves the day.... though that senario is all together not completely pausible cuz you see this is fantasy and in fantasy generally there is one major hero saving the damsel in distress but i think in this series if one and i hope it is Jon Snow who saves westros the other characters will lend a major hand into this saving.

Cuz we must realize one major aspect of the past legends so far told.... the legend of the last hero that old nan was reciting to bran told of a hero who took with him strong and brave souls to fight the others and bring the light back to westros..... so i think one of these characters will rise, rally other characters and with there help defeat the others....

and before the series will conclude we will finish with the most important war that has been being fought since the starting of the first novel..... The politics....

and the manner of succession passing either to jon or dany or someone else would be a fine ending for me!

• 4 weeks later...

Suggest all you want, there is no protagonist. Its not a matter of opinion, its fact. Im fairly sure Ive heard Martin state more than once that the lack of a clearly defined 'hero' was completely intentional.

The idea of having one undermines the entire series, especially considering the well-established nature of killing off any and all major characters.

He doesn't want to tell you who to pick over everyone else, its one of the functions of good literature, to learn more about yourself.

I think there is no "main" character, but rather a list of many-

Bran

Arya

Sansa

Tyrion

Jon

Dany

Theon

Jaime

Cersei

Samwell

Davos

Then you have people who are soooooo important but do alot of work off screen but are pulling so many strings- Littlefinger, Varys, Illyrio, Stannis, Roose... These five are destined for HUGE things in the next two books

Though if I had to pick a most important character it's hard to not say Ned... He is the father of Bran, Arya, and Sansa (3 main povs), and he raised two more- Jon (who may have fathered) and Theon... Plus he is important to the stories of:

Jaime- caught him on the throne after he killed arys... Their fight in KL

Cersei- uncovered her secret, started the whole process

Stannis- stannis felt he should have been congratulated for holding storms end but Robert have the credit t Ned for breaking siege... Later he beat the iron fleet but Ned got credit for leading the attack on pyke, Ned was named hand

And most importantly Littlefinger- his whole plan for revenge is against Ned's family and the Tullys

So IMO Ned is the most Imporant character he has affected s many other lives

Archived