Which Character Did You Most Hate To See Go?

Ice&Fire reader

Robb.

It's not because he was the best character - goodness knows I was as annoyed as the rest of you when he broke his oath - but because I felt like he had a lot more to offer in terms of plot. I mean, who WASN'T looking forward to him taking back the North?? I thought that would have been awesome and I actually think that the plot is the weaker because of it. Robb was just about to go all kick ass, and GRRM killed him off! I was looking forward to getting the Robb of GOT back, the one who was proclaimed King in the North and captured Jaime Lannister.

I also hated losing Catelyn. I know a lot of people didn't like her but I thought she was a good narrative voice. She was usually at the centre of pretty important and events and was one of the POV characters that held the wider plot together.

I'll also be seriously peed off if a) the Hound and B) Jon are dead. The first because he's one of the most entertaining characters of the entire series and the second because I was looking forward to HIM going all kick ass and winning back the North. SOMEONE has to do it!!!

To respond to someone who found Joff to be so totally despicable, in a world of grey.....

He was a teenager with Cersei for a mother.

Have you met any teenagers recently? They're terrible, unless strong hands temper their willfulness.

He had no redeeming qualities because he was a pampered teenager with an enabler for a mother, and an absent father figure.

There's nothing in the books that indicate he ever truly heard the word "no".

His mother has an overinflated opinion of herself and her family, and she passed that onto him, only he expects to be king so its not about family, but about him alone.

Swing now to the Stark family, where you have Catelyn and Ned and what appears to be structure.

Not to say the Starks don't have high opinions of themselves(they do), but Ned seems to maintain his rule as a duty, not a right. Hence the caring about smallfolk, whereas Cersei likely doesn't really see them.

I'd wager that if Robb stole something from a peasant, his father would make him return it and apologize, whereas Cersei would decree that as Joff is the future king, he can't steal what is actually his.

Right vs Duty.

Dany vs Aegon.

Robb, I was rooting for him and he had to go and walk into such an obvious ambush. I spent that entire time just going "Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, wait fo- SEE! YOU IDIOT!"

Exactly this. It was more than obvious that it was coming but the fool I am, I dared to believe that perhaps the guest right would give him a chance. Death to all Freys!!

Also Oberyn, I wanted him to get his revenge so bad that when it appeared he would pull it out, then didn't exactly, as my girlfriend put it, went "overboard" with my anger towards GRRM. Those 2 deaths had me wondering why I was willingly putting myself through so much distress.

Pretty must the entire end of ASOS- Bran, Rickton, Arya, Cat, Rob...knowing that half of those are alive now kind of lestens the impact. At the time, it seemed as though the time for wolves had offically come to a close. Very dark, and very powerful.

I almost wish that they had "stayed" dead, though I've become too attactched to the characters to really wish that apon them. Still, would have made for a good (maybe better?) plot.

Cat - her death affected me the most emotionally and she was one of my favorite characters. :crying:

Jeor Mormont - I knew it was going to happen eventually but how he died was so messed up.

Yoren - I thought he was so badass and sort of a good man and he was going to take Arya home, which he didn't have to do.

Oberyn - He was so awesome in the little bit that we saw of him. He was sooo close, too...

Archived