Sandor V.16

Candor

Well, technically speaking, the second time he doesn't really chuck at it her. He throws it on the ground and she picks it up later on. I do think their cloak exchanges are symbolic of marriage/romance, because unlike what happens with LF and Tyrion - where they give Sansa their cloaks, in the 2 cloak scenes with Sandor, his cloak is performing a very active role of protecting her decency and offering her comfort. Particularly with the BBB scene, she chooses wrap herself in it. There is no outside compulsion, no need to cover her body etc. She's in the familiar enclave of her bedroom with presumbably lots of other sheets around, but this is what she chooses to drape over herself. I do think the myriad cloak exchanges and cloaks in general surrounding Sansa are fascinating. In the next chapter of the Sansa re-read thread, I'll be talking a bit about the symbolism with Barristan's cloak during Joff's court session.

Yes, I've read many posts about the symbolism related to marriage in Westeros but that's not exactly what I was trying to point out. I've also noticed that Tyrion and Littlefinger both gave her a cloak and obviously this must mean something.

In this case, I was thinking of something else, not the potential marriage symbolism, but the honour symbolism, the way it represents knightly virtues and how he ripped it and threw it away from him and discarded it, not because he mocks what it represents, but because he finds himself unworthy.

As for Sansa, what surprises me is that she should be horrified because of all the danger and the threat he poised, and instead of throwing it away and feel disgusted, which would have been the logical thing to do, she wraps herself in his bloody cloak. Why? It's very strange. Didn't she understant the scene the way we did, because it seemed very scary to me. Did I miss something while I was reading that scene? It always felt very ambiguous and confusing to me.

As for Sansa, what surprises me is that she should be horrifiend because of all the danger and the threat he poised, and instead of throwing it away and feel disgusted, which would have been the logical thing to do, she wraps herself in his bloody cloak. Why? It's very strange. Didn't she understant the scene the way we did, because it seemed very scary to me. Did I miss something while I was reading that scene. It always felt very ambiguous and confusing to me.

Yes, you're right: it is a very odd move on her part. And she had been very frightened of him up until the moment when she touched his face.

So, this is not a particularly sophisticated explanation, but I wonder if one is not really needed here. Occasionally I will feel like total ass. Cramps, lack of chocolate and/or booze in my house, cat pissed on the couch, hundreds of tasks I'm behind on, missing somebody, bad weather, you name it. And sometimes, it makes me just want to curl up under a blankie. Now, I know that none of those quotidian problems I've just cited are comparable to what Sansa's been through: holed up waiting for a battle to be over, having to listen to an increasingly wasted Cersei catastrophize about the possible outcome of the battle, the presence of Ilyn Payne, seeing wounded men, the Hound being a creeper in her room, et al.

I think she really, really wanted a blankie. And there it was. But then it becomes a kind of security blanket for her, at least in her mind.

Archived