I've been inspired by a few other threads with a similar idea, such as MyDogIsNamedDaenerys and Alexia's Dany reread, and brashcandy and Rapsie's Sansa re-read, and so I have begun a re-read of the Dornish POV's: Arys Oakheart, Areo Hotah, Arianne, and Quentyn. In total, there are 9 of these chapters scattered through AFFC and ADWD. I will be re-reading and analyzing them in the order that they appear in the books. Join along if you are interested, and comments on the chapters are welcome.

The Dornish are latecomers to The Game, and not only that, but some of their POV's are not well-received by fans. This I think can lead to much skipping over or fast reading of their chapters without comprehending what we might from them. That is the number one purpose of this "tour": to see motivations, character development, politics, foreshadowing if there is, and to generally better understand these chapters.

AFFC – Areo Hotah I: “The Captain of the Guards”

What happens:

As seems to be a large purpose of Areo’s chapters, he begins by making some observations about Prince Doran and of Obara Sand, the eldest of the Sand Snakes. Of the prince, he describes the prince’s quiet demeanor, and about his rolling chair. Of Obara, he says that she always rides stallions, and suggests that she just came back from such a ride. He also describes her stride as “long-legged, hasty, angry” as well as too fast. Areo recalls a time that Doran said to Arianne that Obara was “chasing after something she can never catch.” Maester Caleotte is apparently hurrying behind Obara, trying to keep up.

When Obara approaches, Areo moves his axe to block her way, stating that Doran does not want to be disturbed. She is angry, and Areo describes her appearance, including noting that she left her spear outside (but is carrying with her a whip and shield). The maester is distraught but Obara ignores him, asking Areo if Doran knows of her father’s death. Areo confirms that he received a raven with the news.

Death had come to Dorne on raven wings, writ small and sealed with a blob of hard red wax. Caleotte must have sensed what was in the letter, for he’d given it to Hotah to deliver. The prince thanked him, but for the longest time he would not break the seal. All afternoon he’d sat with the parchment in his lap, watching the children at their play. He watched until the sun went down and the evening air grew cool enough to drive them inside; then he watched the starlight on the water. It was moonrise before he sent Hotah to fetch a candle, so he might read his letter beneath the orange trees in the dark of night.

Obara goes on to say that all of Dorne is asking what Doran will do to avenge Oberyn, including a few possible superlatives:

Obara touched her whip. “Thousands are crossing the sands afoot to climb the Boneway, so they may help Ellaria bring my father home. The septs are packed to bursting, and the red priests have lit their temple fires. In the pillow houses, women are coupling with every man who comes to them, and refusing any coin. In Sunspear, on the Broken Arm, along the Greenblood, in the mountains, out in the deep sands, and everywhere, everywhere, women tear their hair and men cry out in rage. The same question is heard on every tongue---what will Doran do? What will his brother do to avenge our murdered prince?” She moved closer to the captain. “And you say, he does not wish to be disturbed!”

Areo remembers coming to Dorne from Norvos as a young man, and his training. He has resolved to not let her pass when Doran can be heard, saying he will speak with Obara. Areo moves aside, and both Obara and the maester go over to the prince.

Doran reminds Obara that she was once a child playing in the pools. She scoffs at him, saying she was a whore’s whelp, and not there long. She reiterates about her father’s murder. Doran says that he died in trial by combat, and that is not murder. She argues, and asks what he intends to do about Oberyn’s death. Doran turns his chair to face her, and his gout is described to us. We also hear some words of wisdom that he imparted to Arianne: “Silence is a prince’s friend. Words are like arrows, once loosed you cannot call them back.

Doran says he has written to Tywin, but is interrupted by Obara. He asks her if it is war that she wants, but she says she knows better than to have him wage it, and that he should send her and Lady Nym to avenge her father, along with a host of soldiers. Doran says that Tywin will send them Gregor’s head. Obara counters, asking who will send them Tywin’s head, as Gregor ‘has always been his pet.’

Doran commands Obara to look at the children playing in the pools.

“Your father played that same game once, as I did before him,” said the prince. “we had ten years between us, so I had left the pools by the time he was old enough to play, but I would always watch him when I came to visit Mother. He was so fierce, even as a boy. Quick as a water snake. I oft saw him topple boys much bigger than himself. He reminded me of that the day he left for King’s Landing. He swore that he would do it one more time, else I would have never let him go.”

Obara says that her father went where he pleased. Doran does not disagree with her, and says he wishes he had some words of comfort to her. This enrages her further. She launches into the story of when her father came to get her from her mother, and she chose the spear over tears.

Doran says that war is a heavy decision to make, and he shall sleep on it. She argues he has slept too much already. He acquiesces and decides that he will send her word at Sunspear. She stomps off, saying that the word had better be ‘war.’

Doran asks for his men to prepare Sunspear for his return, and notify his daughter Arianne that he is coming there ‘on the morrow’. His maester reminds him that if he goes, his people will see how bad his gout has become, and that Arys Oakheart will surely spread that word to Cersei.

Areo thinks of Arys and has a rather startling (to the reader) thought of him:

The white knight. The captain frowned. Ser Arys had come to Dorne to attend his own princess, as Areo Hotah had once come with his. Even their names sounded oddly alike: Areo and Arys. Yet there the likeness ended. The captain had left Norvos and its bearded priests, but Ser Arys Oakheart still served the Iron Throne. Hotah had felt a certain sadness whenever he saw the man in the long snowy cloak, the times the prince had sent him down to Sunspear. One day, he sensed, the two of them would fight; on that day Oakheart would die, with the captain’s longaxe crashing through his skull. He slid his hand along the smooth ashen shaft of his axe and wondered if that day was drawing nigh.

Doran and Areo are talking, and it is said his parents sold him to these “bearded priests” because he was the youngest of six children, and another unwanted mouth to feed. Doran reminisces about his own childhood. He was the eldest child. Two brothers, Mors and Olyvar came after him and died young. Elia, then Oberyn followed, within a year of each other. Doran is sad to note that they all died, but he is alive.

It is confirmed that Norvos is of a different faith than the Seven, as Areo calls the Seven still strange to him after all these years. His vows were “Serve. Obey. Protect.” that he swore while learning with the bearded priests (I am beginning to wonder why they are always called the bearded priests, starts to look like Areo isn’t telling us something…)

Doran sits out in the Water Gardens for a long time, but Areo puts him to bed eventually and works on his axe. He recalls more of Norvos, that it is a city high on a hill as well as low by a river. There are three bells in Norvos he calls Noom, Narrah, and Nyel. He tell us that his bearded priests branded him in the center of his chest.

The next morning there is a long description of Doran getting ready to leave for Sunspear. They leave at midday. Halfway through their journey, Lady Nym joins their party. She too, is pressing Doran to seek vengeance. She says she has had a raven from a Ser Daemon who tells her that Gregor died of poison, not by Tywin striking off his head as promised. She says she would like for her and Tyene to go to King’s landing, kill Cersei, Jaime, Tywin, and Tommen, and that would suffice for her. Doran is appalled, and says that Tommen has done no harm. Nym says that he is born of incest, treason, and adultery ‘if Lord Stannis can be believed.’

Doran tells her what he told Oberyn to do in KL. Find friends if there are ones to be had, find what you can about Elia’s death without provoking Tywin unduly, and take a measure of the boy king and his council. Nym says to him that had it been him that died, Oberyn would have been fighting for vengeance. Doran does not disagree that it is so. Nym says she and her sisters will not wait as their father did for vengeance.

When it is starting to grow dark, they reach Sunspear. The distance between there and the Water Gardens is given as three leagues. Sunspear is described as more of a town than a city, built from mud, and on a jut of land surrounded on three sides by the sea. The precession heads through the main gate, and their way is made difficult by many smallfolk throwing fruit and clamoring close, crying “To spears!”

Arianne is waiting to welcome him inside the palace. She says that Tyene Sand requests an audience in the throne room. Areo Hotah carries the prince there. Tyene bandies about the suggestion to crown Myrcella and have her and Trystane wed sooner rather than later. Doran says he will think on it. Tyene asks for his blessing. He places a hand on her head and tells her to be brave. She leaves. Maester Caleotte checks Doran’s hand for scratches. There are none. Doran asks the maester to bring him milk of the poppy. Caleotte leaves. It is just Doran and Areo now.

The prince asks Areo to imprison the Sand Snakes in the Spear Tower. Areo asks if Sarella should be included in this. Doran says not unless he returns to Dorne, and to leave her to play her game. Areo says the smallfolk will hate this action. Doran says that he knows, but that he hope Tywin will take it as a gesture of his loyalty.

What to make of it:

This chapter is our introduction to the important players of Dorne. If you pick away at some of the description that there seems to be overmuch of, details can be gleaned.

Summary of Comments:

Dorne has received news of Prince Oberyn's death in the trial-by-combat in which he championed for Tyrion against Ser Gregor Clegane, and was killed by his head getting bashed in. His bastard daughters, the Sand Snakes, are clamoring for Doran to declare war to avenge this death. Doran in this chapter is acting as he is generally characterized: cautious, not giving too much away, not making binding promises.

By his own admission and the scattered words of wisdom Areo Hotah remembers the Prince telling his daughter, it seems clear to the reader that he does intend Arianne to be his heiress, and is not working to pass her over for Quentyn. By Lady Nym's statements we also know that Stannis' writing campaign reached their ears, and some seem inclined to believe that he was telling truth about Tommen, Joffrey, and Myrcella. Or at least as it suits their purposes...

There are also some good tactical things to know about Dorne, that might come into play if the war reaches them. Knowledge of their gates, the length of time between Sunspear and the Water Gardens, etcetera. Furthermore we know of their culture, not as perhaps 'groomed' as other regions, their towns are smaller and more primitive in construction. We also hear that there is not only priests of the Seven, but of the Rhollor faith as well, which is interesting.

What I personally find most intriguing to pay attention to is Areo's recollections of his youth in Norvos. Especially these mysterious "bearded priests". Where is the story of that, I wonder? The repetitive mention of them, and that they are always referred to as the same two words of description has me thinking there is more to it.

Also, perhaps the most notable part of the chapter was Areo was thinking on Arys Oakheart. Considering how Ser Arys died, this seems almost prophetic in a way. Chilling. Thoughts? Furthermore Arys is noted as sad when sent to Sunspear, could this be Areo picking up on his unease to go there because of Arianne's trying to pressure him?

A Ser Daemon seems to be one of the "Friends" in King's Landing. Have we seen him in POV's at that location?

And finally Doran is still playing the game, trying to appear loyal to Tywin.

~~

Any and all comments / alternative interpretations / other mentions related to the chapter are welcome.

Interesting, I had never thought much about the bearded priests, just assumed that they were there to add depth to Areo Hotah´s history. I did however, get a strange feel when he kept referring to Arianne so "my little princess". I would like to know more about him.

As to Ser Daemon, IIRC, he is mentioned in KL a in a couple of Tyrion´s POVs. But I think that the "Friends" are mainly Varys.

Interesting, I had never thought much about the bearded priests, just assumed that they were there to add depth to Areo Hotah´s history. I did however, get a strange feel when he kept referring to Arianne so "my little princess". I would like to know more about him.

As to Ser Daemon, IIRC, he is mentioned in KL a in a couple of Tyrion´s POVs. But I think that the "Friends" are mainly Varys.

I will have to keep my eye out for Ser Daemon, but thank you for mentioning this. Varys might well be one. He did council Aerys not to open KL's gates to Tywin, for all we know he not only has Targ or Blackfyre interests but in Dorne as well, given the region's practice of marrying dragons.

Great analysis Candace. I fell asleep during Hotah chapters :) so this is an appreciated resource. I'm not a Doran fan by any means, but in reading here I couldn't help feeling sympathetic towards him. God those Sandsnakes are annoying! The whole clamouring for revenge thing started to get old quickly, and whilst I understand their frustration with Doran, I think Martin was a little heavy handed here in trying to make all of them seem so dangeroussss and ssssubversive. And what was up with Obara's assertion of everyone in Dorne going out of their minds for vengeance? I mean there does seem to be unrest building, but this was exaggeration at its most ridiculous. I suspect though that Dorne will break out in civil war come TWOW when Aegon's return is made known, along with Quentyn's death.

It was strange how Areo basically predicted his fight with Arys. Does he have some kind of powers related to the religion of the bearded men?

Despite the sandsnakes' annoying nature, I don't agree with Doran's decision to lock them up along with Arianne later on. Doran is a bad plotter plain and simple, but I suppose at this point he felt he had a good plan in place. Uhhh, and I really hate reading about his physical condition - I feel really bad for him and just wish he would be put out of his misery.

The talk about the water gardens is interesting too, especially juxtaposed with the later conversation Dany has with Quent about them. Oberyn was always very fierce even in this peaceful environment, but Dany judges Quentyn to be largely unsuitable after hearing of the water gardens.

Anyways, looking forward to the next chapter!

Great analysis Candace. I fell asleep during Hotah chapters :) so this is an appreciated resource. I'm not a Doran fan by any means, but in reading here I couldn't help feeling sympathetic towards him. God those Sandsnakes are annoying! The whole clamouring for revenge thing started to get old quickly, and whilst I understand their frustration with Doran, I think Martin was a little heavy handed here in trying to make all of them seem so dangeroussss and ssssubversive. And what was up with Obara's assertion of everyone in Dorne going out of their minds for vengeance? I mean there does seem to unrest building, but this was exaggeration at it's most ridiculous. I so suspect though that Dorne will break out in civil war come TWOW when Aegon's return is made known, along with Quentyn's death.

It was strange how Areo basically predicated his fight with Arys. Does he have some kind of powers related to the religion of the bearded men?

Despite the sandsnakes' annoying nature, I don't agree with Doran's decision to lock them up along with Arianne later on. Doran is a bad plotter plain and simple, but I suppose at this point he felt he had a good plan in place. Uhhh, and I really hate reading about his physical condition - I feel really bad for him and just wish he would be put out of his misery.

The talk about the water gardens is interesting too, especially juxtaposed with the later conversation Dany has with Quent about them. Oberyn was always very fierce even in this peaceful environment, but Dany judges Quentyn to be largely unsuitable after hearing of the water gardens.

Anyways, looking forward to the next chapter!

Trust me, this was no walk in the park. Damn how long this first chapter is, ahahaha. But I think it'll be easier here on out.

dangeroussss and sssssubversive. LOVE IT. :lmao: And I very much agree. In a way GRRM seems to have done this to almost every Dornish character, as if making them so outrageously one way that they are a political comic relief.

But yeah, it did get old. One came up, had her own idea about it. Next one came up, said her sister was wrong, but she has a plan. Then the last one, Tyene has her own agenda. The fourth one? Sarella? We just get a note that she is not in Dorne, along with several cheeky winks at the reader - "Sarella loves Oldtown." "Sarella is off playing her games somewhere..." lol

A divided but angry group of sisters is your first impression.

I personally think Doran will not last long after hearing of Quentyn's death. It may drive him to more sadness and the twilight of his life.

probably conveniently right when Arianne is off searching after Aegon and not in Dorne to rule...

I'm not sure what to think about Areo. It is very mysterious. He may not like the guy, but the very accurate prediction, and wondering 'if that day was drawing nigh' makes me wonder if he does know ahead of time.

Merci. ;)

I remember when I first came to Dorne at the beginning of Feast... wasnt liking it at first, wasnt liking all those new pov...

But quickly, I loved them all, giving a whole new breathe to the story, a hell lot of amazing characters...

And, well, you know... they have Arianne, Lady Nym and Tyene! ^^

I remember when I first came to Dorne at the beginning of Feast... wasnt liking it at first, wasnt liking all those new pov...

But quickly, I loved them all, giving a whole new breathe to the story, a hell lot of amazing characters...

And, well, you know... they have Arianne, Lady Nym and Tyene! ^^

They grew on me a lot as well. In particular I'm now a true fan of Arianne as a character. I'm pulling for her.

As my name suggest I am a fan of the Dornish, I enjoyed them all and found them far more interesting than the Tullys and Arryns pre-Lysa/LF marriage.

I think a lot of hate stems from people frustrated about wanting to read about Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Davos in place they get Hotah, Arys, Arianne, Brienne and some Greyjoy chapters in my opinion Greyjoys only got interesting during and after Kingsmoot.

Frustration leads to anger and as we all know anger leads to fear!

As my name suggest I am a fan of the Dornish, I enjoyed them all and found them far more interesting than the Tullys and Arryns pre-Lysa/LF marriage.

I think a lot of hate stems from people frustrated about wanting to read about Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Davos in place they get Hotah, Arys, Arianne, Brienne and some Greyjoy chapters in my opinion Greyjoys only got interesting during and after Kingsmoot.

Frustration leads to anger and as we all know anger leads to fear!

I very much agree with this, and have in fact seen statements to that affect. As for Greyjoys, I have always enjoyed Theon and Asha POV's, but it's the other ones that sometimes grate on me. I do agree that they are important to the story though, so I try to pay good attention to them.

Nice job. I don't understand why everyone hates on the Dornish chapters. I have loved them from the beginning. I wish there were more.

Thank you! :)

Same,same.

Great Thread Lady Candace,

Aero Hotah was I confess a dull chapter when I first read it and annoying because it seemed to have no purpose (and damn it I wanted Dany POV etc, however on the reread (and now we have had ADWD) it is more interesting because it gives us an insight into Dorne (and another theory I shall expound on when we get to the relevant chapter).

The bearded priests are indeed interesting and I wonder if they are a sect of R'hllor. The fact that his parents sold him to the priests echoes what we have heard from Mel's POV, his seeming ability to predict the future with Arys Oakheart and that once his training is complete the symbol of an axe is branded/burned onto his chest would seem to hint at a connection.

Great Thread Lady Candace,

Aero Hotah was I confess a dull chapter when I first read it and annoying because it seemed to have no purpose (and damn it I wanted Dany POV etc, however on the reread (and now we have had ADWD) it is more interesting because it gives us an insight into Dorne (and another theory I shall expound on when we get to the relevant chapter).

The bearded priests are indeed interesting and I wonder if they are a sect of R'hllor. The fact that his parents sold him to the priests echoes what we have heard from Mel's POV, his seeming ability to predict the future with Arys Oakheart and that once his training is complete the symbol of an axe is branded/burned onto his chest would seem to hint at a connection.

Welcome to the thread, it's always good to get your input, Rapsie.

Oh trust me, there is no denying, it's hard to get through an Areo Chapter. Quite a task, but well worth it for the snippets of useful stuff we glean from it (I shall be very interested to hear this theory, and I do wonder if it's something I had thought, too, perhaps a hint at what chapter you base it from, if you do not mind?)

It does seem to parallel Melisandre's beginnings. And it is true that in the chapter, Areo only said the "seven-faced-god" was still strange to him after his years in Dorne, not the red god. Mmmhmm. His level of devotion also personally hearkened to the Unsullied for me. I'm dying to know if ole Areo actually does have some prophetic ability, now.

It's a Cersei chapter......(I have mentioned it in other posts though!).....though no one took any notice of my blatantly amzing insight....Mwahaha.

Anyway, I also loved how much he cares for Arienne and how his Obey. Serve. Protect thing comes between them in later chapters. I think there is some setting up of him as completely willing to follow orders even if he dislikes doing them, such as the way her confronts Obara.

It's a Cersei chapter......(I have mentioned it in other posts though!).....though no one took any notice of my blatantly amzing insight....Mwahaha.

Anyway, I also loved how much he cares for Arienne and how his Obey. Serve. Protect thing comes between them in later chapters. I think there is some setting up of him as completely willing to follow orders even if he dislikes doing them, such as the way her confronts Obara.

So it ties in with a Dornish chapter then? Bah, I will let you post it at your leisure, and of course it will not be shuffled past with no comments :)

It's sweet to me that he thinks of her almost like a proud father.

ETA: Just noticing your 'rank' lol, very nice. Blame it on the Septa!

ETA: Just noticing your 'rank' lol, very nice. Blame it on the Septa!

He he he, you got it before it's gone. I'm just about to change it!

Anyway, yes it is a comment in a Cersei chapter that could relate to Hotah. I'll check where it is and and it at a relevant chapter.

He he he, you got it before it's gone. I'm just about to change it!

Anyway, yes it is a comment in a Cersei chapter that could relate to Hotah. I'll check where it is and and it at a relevant chapter.

Sounds good!

I dont' get the Patchface one, though!

Great thread! Personally I love the Dornish chapters, I love the fire in their hearts and the culture of Sunspear and beyond.

For me 'The Captain of the Guards' is a chapter which has been specifically designed to keep the reader in the dark. Areo Hotah is, in my opinion, Martin's only misfire in assigning a point of view because Hotah as a character is merely an observer in his own chapters. All the action, decisions and conflicts are determined by other characters. He is essentially driftwood on the Dornish tide.

So it seems that Areo's role is to be a window into the Dornish world, while keeping the reader ignorant of Doran's plans. This is a real shame because Areo is our only Essosi viewpoint character, so the poor development of the character and his personal history is disappointing.

As for Areo being somewhat prophetic, I disagree whole-heartedly. Areo will have been privy to a number of significant conversations that highlight the strains between Dorne and the Lannister-Tyrell alliance.

For example, we can assume that Areo was present when Oberyn promised to topple the Mountain to avenge Elia. The chances are also high that he was present when the news of the deaths of Llewyn Martell, Elia and her children were brought to Dorne. He may even have been present when Quentyn was sent across the Narrow Sea to marry Daenerys. We can't be sure of any of these, but he will have been aware that the alliance between Martell and Lannister was and is tenuous at best.

This chapter for me is all about Prince Doran Martell. He is a sickly man, world-weary and consumed by melancholy.

"The blood oranges are well past ripe," the prince observed in a weary voice... It was true about the oranges. A few had fallen to burst open on the pale pink marble."

For me, this is one of the most poignant images in the story. The prince of Dorne, wasting away in her chair as the world moves on around him. However, I believe that the blood oranges have a more vivid symbolism. They represent the members of House Martell, falling around Doran while he is powerless to stop it. He is such a tragic figure, failing to protect his younger siblings and now he is failing to avenge them.

He is trapped by the the realities of life and rule, so he retreats within himself and spends his life watching the carefree as they play in the pools. He is, in modern terms, in a state of perpetual depression.

Then how will Doran react to the fact that his son Quentyn has also been killed? My thought is that he won't survive hearing the news of Quentyn's death and will quietly slip away.

Great thread! Personally I love the Dornish chapters, I love the fire in their hearts and the culture of Sunspear and beyond.

For me 'The Captain of the Guards' is a chapter which has been specifically designed to keep the reader in the dark. Areo Hotah is, in my opinion, Martin's only misfire in assigning a point of view because Hotah as a character is merely an observer in his own chapters. All the action, decisions and conflicts are determined by other characters. He is essentially driftwood on the Dornish tide.

So it seems that Areo's role is to be a window into the Dornish world, while keeping the reader ignorant of Doran's plans. This is a real shame because Areo is our only Essosi viewpoint character, so the poor development of the character and his personal history is disappointing.

As for Areo being somewhat prophetic, I disagree whole-heartedly. Areo will have been privy to a number of significant conversations that highlight the strains between Dorne and the Lannister-Tyrell alliance.

For example, we can assume that Areo was present when Oberyn promised to topple the Mountain to avenge Elia. The chances are also high that he was present when the news of the deaths of Llewyn Martell, Elia and her children were brought to Dorne. He may even have been present when Quentyn was sent across the Narrow Sea to marry Daenerys. We can't be sure of any of these, but he will have been aware that the alliance between Martell and Lannister was and is tenuous at best.

This chapter for me is all about Prince Doran Martell. He is a sickly man, world-weary and consumed by melancholy.

For me, this is one of the most poignant images in the story. The prince of Dorne, wasting away in her chair as the world moves on around him. However, I believe that the blood oranges have a more vivid symbolism. They represent the members of House Martell, falling around Doran while he is powerless to stop it. He is such a tragic figure, failing to protect his younger siblings and now he is failing to avenge them.

He is trapped by the the realities of life and rule, so he retreats within himself and spends his life watching the carefree as they play in the pools. He is, in modern terms, in a state of perpetual depression.

Then how will Doran react to the fact that his son Quentyn has also been killed? My thought is that he won't survive hearing the news of Quentyn's death and will quietly slip away.

Totally agree with everything you said here. I felt that a lot of people would misread the quotation about the blood oranges, but I'm glad that some people got it! Later on, Doran hears a blood orange fall to the ground with a squish, and he winces...no doubt imagining his little brother's brain getting smashed in in a similar fashion :frown5:

Archived