The Best Named Direwolf and other animal names

Ice Turtle

Shaggydog. You know he's going to come back big, hungry, wild and ready to eat up some Freys. :cool4:

Yeah baby! Some yummy hot Frey pies for Shaggydog! :drool:

Ahh, but you all missed Lady=Direwolf name,Nymeria=Direwolf name.

Then you have Lady Nymeria on her way to King's Landing.The two footed version.Lady+Nymeria=Lady Nymeria. :agree:

Soooo,aw fuck it ,who cares.

Oh I do! Absolutely!

As to my favourite direwolf name, can't choose between Shaggydog and Ghost.

For other animals, definitely Ser Pounce, Balerion the cat, Stranger and Dancer.

P.S. just to clarify, I love all the direwolves, all six of them. But this thread was about the ones who have the best name, so...here Shaggydog...and Ghost to me! :cool4:

Nymeria sounds too grand for such a savage bitch (or was the original like that anyway?)

I hardly think Nymeria would take all her little grey cousins across the sea and settle with a local wolf and thus establishing a new tribe, now will she? :drunk:

IMO, Nymeria is doing quite the justice to her name. Queen of the wolves. Go Nymeria!!! :cheers:

1. Stranger

2. Nymeria

3. Maester the Mule (Dunk's mule. I thought it was really funny...)

I like these names cuz they give you a sense of self-reflexivity with history and society that the Westerosi experience. All the three owners of these animals listed come from very different classes and backgrounds and have their own take on the world they live in. Thus these names are personal and socio-historical at the same time...

• 10 months later...

I agree with the OP, Summer is the best, it's a name full of hope for the future :) Second is Shaggydog for me too, just because it's so cute, and exactly what a four-year-old would name their dog.

On dragons, I liked all the names, and especially the way Dany named them for Drogo, Rhaegar, and Viserys. But I think my favourite is Drogon.

1. Ghost

2. Nymeria: It fits her character a female warrior wolf leading a pack this is smiliar to the story of Nymeria of the Royne and this name also reveals a lot about Arya´s character. Naming her direwolf after a female warrior.

3. Summer

4. Stranger

Honorable to mention too: Shaggydog, Honor and Glory

I love the name Summer for Bran's direwolf, just like how I like Silver for Dany's horse. Ghost comes a close second. They're both intangible names that hold special meaning for their owners. The other direwolves have more traditional names that one would expect for them.

Tommen's kittens are undoubtedly the best named for me. Especially Ser Pounce. They even got their own entry in the AFFC Appendix.

The dragons' name on the other hand annoy me quite a bit because Dany had the compulsion to name everything after the dead men in her life (first Rhaego, then Rhaegal, Drogon and Viserion). Are the dragons even male ? I don't recall their sex being disclosed (how would Dany know how to differentiate a male dragon from a female dragon in the first place ?), but if they are indeed all males the whole "rebirthing" dragons thing becomes quite pointless because without any female they're bound to die out again anyway.

I thought that as well but just assumed Viserion was the female as it was the burrowing one making nests.

:)

Summer: This name makes the wolf very intriguing. And it leaves imprints on Bran. I suppose their role in the war with Others is indicated by the name.

Lady: The the suits her owner. But there was a chance that if she had stayed alive she wouldn't have proved her name.

Shaggydog:

Badass, enough said !

Nymeria: I like her name and the story of the queen Nymeria too. Their names mean something, and I hope this connection between Arya and Nymerya's story is very significant.

Ghost: Good choice for a big white wolf who's hunting in snow wilderness. But the role not clear for... we will see.

Grey Wind: Kings come and go but the earth remains. Winds come and go but the earth remains.

Favorite name: Nymeria.

Least favorite name: Viserion (How she could name a dragon in honor of THIS guy?)

I thought that as well but just assumed Viserion was the female as it was the burrowing one making nests.

:)

I think Dragons are hemaphrodites or something. Maester Aemon says they don't have a defined gender, so they're neither male nor female.

Archived