The Best Named Direwolf and other animal names

Ice Turtle

It occurred to me, that the best named direwolves aren't actually my favorite and I was curious if I am the only one. So the best named for me:

1, Summer - Bran took his time to name his wolf and he found the name that always gave me chills. But maybe only because the scene where Bran named him was so awesome.

2, Shaggydog - is there anyone who doesn't love the name?

3, Lady - you have to be 11 years old Sansa to name a bloodthirsty beast Lady

4, Nymeria - A little too proud name, but at least she is proving to be worth it. It's almost wonder we have no Nymeria Frey, when we have Rhaegar.

5, Ghost - well, we will see maybe I change my mind after what happened in the end of the ADwD

6, Grey Wind - never liked much

The topic was originally supposed to be only about direwolves, but It just couldn't go without honorable mentioning of Tonmmens kittens: Boots, Ser Pounce and Lady Whiskers, dogs called Dog and Hero and horses: Stranger, Craven, Honor and Glory.

One last note, somehow I never liked any of the names Dany came with, be it for child, ship, horse or dragon.

Beside Summer I don't find any of the direwolfs names very special or interesting, they are way too much telling.

However I like the silver for Danys horse quite well, as we have to remember that she wasn't able to name it proper, as the Dothraki don't name their horses at all. Im also fine with her naming the ships after Aegons and his sisters dragons, also with choosing a variation of her brothers name for her son (it was quite common in medival times).

For her dragons I agree that for her dragons I would have liked different names, as the one choosen are a bit boring.

My favorite names for animals lie elsewhere however:

1. Stranger

2. Honor and Glory

3. Balerion the Black for a tomcat (I always smile (sadly), thinking of the little princess naming her kitten Balerion)

Tommens kitten also have great names

With Dog I must always think about Colombo ^_^

Edit: Typo

Dany is too much bound by her family history that she can't really pick a name outside of it.

As for Direwolfs, I like Nymerai as its original and reflects well Arya's personnality. Ifind Ghost a bit too obvious (and somehow childish), but I like Grey Wind.

Summer: I so agree, amazing name. Especially since we all know Bran will forever live in Winter. His direwolf is his last Dream of Summer.

Lady: I've always like her name. It so correspond to the Sansa of the beginning of the story. And from the moment Lady and innocence died for her, so her road to reality began.

Shaggydog: Badass, enough said !

Nymeria: My least favorite name. Especially since you got other Nymeria: Lady Nym and Nymeria of the Rhoyne. I would have prefered the direwolf to have a unique name.

Ghost: Really good catch, Jon. Ghost is the only name you could have give your direwolf.

Grey Wind: Well, dont really know about this one. I like it but not my fav.

So:

Favorite name: ​ Summer.

Least favorite name: Nymeria.

Of the names already mentioned, the only ones I actually find "meh" or outright bad is Nymeria - that one would have been nice if nobody else carried it, making it unusual. And I really won't give points to Dany for naming stuff after her brothers and dead husband. It's a sentimental gesture, but it carries little symbolic meaning for the future.

Shaggydog seems to be a favorite around here, but I'm not sure if I agree. Sure, it is kind of funny, but it'll just end up misplaced once Rickon (hopefully) gets older.

My favorites are Ser Pounce, Stranger and Smiler. Especially since the latter two say quite a bit about their owners.

For the direwolves, I like Shaggydog the best. It's cute and sounds like something a 3 year old would come up with. I also like the fact that Shaggydog has such a cute childlike name, but is probably the most wild and deadly of his brothers and sisters.

For the horses, my top pick is Stranger, it just sound so badass very Sandor Clegane!

Smiler and Dancer would be my next favorites.

Of course Ser pounce is the greatest name for a cat, ever.

Archived