Saddest moment in the books.

Lions-and-Roses

So what moments do you think are the saddest? Any parts which you cried to?

Personally for me it was the line "No, don’t, don’t cut my hair, Ned loves my hair…" Even now I get upset at reading that paragraph.

What about you?

I don't even remember this part. Besides, hair cutting pales next to head removing. Ned's death, followed by the Red Wedding.

My most painful read: That sweet, innocent, heartwarming, funny love scene between 13 year old Tyrion and Tysha, described when Tyrion lies wounded after the battle............ And knowing what happened later, especially in a reread.

My saddest moment: when Cat hears about the (presumed) death of Bran and Rickon and just sits there in hopeless agony, unconsolable.

In no particular order (and far from complete):

Eroehs second ordeal.

The one armed woman Arya meets and who can only say: 'please'.

The crow cages.

The stories about the Hound as a child.

Sansa being forced to look at the heads of Ned and the septa

Sansa trying to hide her first flowering

Hodor being beaten and mistreated

Samwells tale about his father treatment of him

Burning and screaming horses.

Pia

Reek II in ADWD

The songs of the giants

All scenes with Sweetrobin

Beth Cassel used by Theon to get her father to surrender

Alalaya being whipped

ETA and all those poor defenseless people Victarion kills without a second thought

ETA2 and of course the making and training of the Unsullied

Lady being killed :frown5:

Jon finding out that the Wall is not full of honourable men.

Jon thinking about Ygritte in the cave and how he would have stayed with her.

Working out that Balerion was Rhaenys' kitten. :frown5:

Hearing that Joff had Tommen's pet fawn skinned to make a jerkin. :bawl:

Stalwart Shield being killed. :frown5:

Ice being melted down. :crying:

Brienne's confession to elder brother.

Arya becoming No One. :bawl:

God...there are so many more.

Really? Quentyn was a pretty underdeveloped and plain character. I felt sorry for him, even though what he did was borderline retarded, but I didn't feel sad or anything.

Maybe, but I really felt close to him during Dance, I somehow, understood him, identified myself to him in some aspects and that was really sad for me to let him go.

Stalwart Shield being killed.

Sad, true, the dude was a romantic bloke, frustrated and a good man.

• The Red Wedding
  • Maester Cressen Prologue
  • "When you smell our candles burning, what does it make you think of, my child?
    Winterfell, she might have said. I smell snow and smoke and pine needles. I smell the stables. I smell Hodor laughing, and Jon and Robb battling in the yard, and Sansa singing about some stupid lady fair. I smell the crypts where the stone kings sit, I smell hot bread baking, I smell the godswood. I smell my wolf, I smell her fur, almost as if she were still beside me."
  • Elder Brother talking about the Hound: "I know little of this man, Sandor Clegane....."
  • Stannis & his brothers watching their parents' ship sinking out of Storm's End.
  • WeakProudwing
  • The Turncloak/Ghost in Winterfell chapters. All the Reek chapters, really.
  • "You remember where the heart is?"
  • How Tywin treated Tyrion throughout his life.
  • "One voyage to the east, and a man could live as rich as a lord until the end of his days. When he'd been younger, Davos had dreamed of making such voyages himself, but the years went dancing by like moths around a flame, and somehow the time had never been quite right. One day when the war is done and King Stannis sits the Iron Throne and has no more need of onion knights. I'll take Devan with me. Steff and Stanny too if they're old enough. We'll see these dragons and all the wonders of the world."

Personally for me it was the line "No, don’t, don’t cut my hair, Ned loves my hair…" Even now I get upset at reading that paragraph.

The books are full of misery, but nothing so far has topped this - the Red Wedding and Catelyn's final thoughts.

The overall gloom which gets to your bones when you read just about enough about murders in a thousand and one ways, fires and attacks on women. I must pause or find a happier chapter for that moment.

And I was very, very sad when Lysa Arryn met Littlefinger on his island being very happy and thinking that her life is finally full of promise. But for the reader it just showed how empty and unneccessary it actually was. Pointless. It gave me shudders. Sad and scary.

And I almost jumped into the book to save Podrick Pyne. Closest to tears I could come up in aSoIF.

I don't even remember this part. Besides, hair cutting pales next to head removing. Ned's death, followed by the Red Wedding.

Jesus Christ, this is the moment when Catelyn Stark gets her throat slit after watching Robb get stabbed in the chest by Roose. She begins to scratch gauges out of her face because Sansa was married to Tyrion, Arya was lost, she believed Bran and Rickon to be dead, Ned was dead, her father was dead, and now Robb was killed.

Archived