Saddest moment in the books.

Lions-and-Roses

Jesus Christ, this is the moment when Catelyn Stark gets her throat slit after watching Robb get stabbed in the chest by Roose. She begins to scratch gauges out of her face because Sansa was married to Tyrion, Arya was lost, she believed Bran and Rickon to be dead, Ned was dead, her father was dead, and now Robb was killed.

I cried when I read that last paragraph, it was murder. :crying: ;)

I would say the Red Wedding/Ned's death were more rage inducing than sad. I mean, they were sad, but my dominant emotion after reading those was a desire for revenge.

As far as pure sadness, without anger overshadowing it, I would say Ygritte's death and Jon checking to see if he was the one who did it was pretty heartbreaking.

Jesus Christ, this is the moment when Catelyn Stark gets her throat slit after watching Robb get stabbed in the chest by Roose. She begins to scratch gauges out of her face because Sansa was married to Tyrion, Arya was lost, she believed Bran and Rickon to be dead, Ned was dead, her father was dead, and now Robb was killed.

This. It wasn't about the hair.

Aside from the obvious Ned/RW:

Poor Pate, who only wanted to be with Rosey. A far less lofty aspiration than most in the realm.

"I don't understand?"

"And never will," a voice said sadly.

His last thought was of Rosey.

Also going into aCoK I still thought there were things that GRRM wouldn't do, but when Arya gets punched in the back of the head by one of Gregor's men........that really shook me up.

Then a little after that, the story she overhears of the innkeep whose daughter was raped and then had to give change. I think that's particularly disturbing because you hear it from the point of view of someone who finds it funny, which really grates for some reason.

Sansa's snow castle gets me everytime. It is the first time she really even tries to deal with what happened to her family emotionally and it ends with her Aunt being pushed out a sky door. Sansa is by far the saddest story so far (with the possible exception of Theon).

The things that girl had to see, and the enviroment she had to endure it in, were heart wrenching.

Sansa's snow castle gets me everytime. It is the first time she really even tries to deal with what happened to her family emotionally and it ends with her Aunt being pushed out a sky door. Sansa is by far the saddest story so far (with the possible exception of Theon).

The things that girl had to see, and the enviroment she had to endure it in, were heart wrenching.

Double.

- The story of the Sailor's Wife in Braavos :frown5:

- Stannis and Proudwing and how Stannis just wasn't able to realise how more importend the love of his bird was then what his stupid brother thinks about him :crying:

"One voyage to the east, and a man could live as rich as a lord until the end of his days. When he'd been younger, Davos had dreamed of making such voyages himself, but the years went dancing by like moths around a flame, and somehow the time had never been quite right. One day when the war is done and King Stannis sits the Iron Throne and has no more need of onion knights. I'll take Devan with me. Steff and Stanny too if they're old enough. We'll see these dragons and all the wonders of the world."

And this, so much this!

I didn't read all of the comments so maybe I missed it - does no one feel sad over the completely unnecessary death of the innocent butcher's son that was sword-playing with Arya? That may have saddened me even more than the Red Wedding and trust me, that bothered me for many days.

• Sansa's castle
  • Pod, Hyle, and Brienne's hanging
  • the Hound's childhood
  • Arya at the Red Wedding
  • How Robb and Catelyn's bodies were treated post RW
  • Quentyn's death
  • Varys and Ned in the dungeon, "And what about your daughter's life? Is that a precious thing to you?"
  • Oberyn's death
  • Doran when the blood orange within his grasp fell and got squashed, and he winced, as an allusion to his brother's death.
  • Jory
  • Jeyne and Theon's escape from Winterfell
  • Davos losing his sons
  • Davos writing a letter to home when he thinks he'll be executed at White Harbor
  • THE INEVITABLE SCENE WHEN DAVOS THINKS STANNIS IS DEAD :crying:
  • In Theon's sample chapter when Stannis is upset about thinking Davos is dead

• Sansa trying to burn her bedsheets rather than have anyone find out she's flowered
  • Big mean cat = Balerion = Rhaeny's kitten
  • Hodor getting beaten.
  • Bran crying and asking Meera and Jojen to take him to the three-eyed crow
  • When Edmure is taunted with the song "The Reynes of Castamere" at Riverrun
  • "He was no true knight."
  • Bran warging Hodor and he was scared
  • Everything. Joffrey. Did. To. Tommen.
  • Stalwart Shield :crying:
  • Ice being melted
  • Stannis' entire childhood, pretty much. He needs a hug.
  • Jon having to kill Qhorin Halfhand
  • Loras/Brienne's reactions to Renly's death
  • Lady's death
  • Marillion scaring off the old blind dog who was comforting Sansa at the Fingers (POOR DOG, he didn't deserve that!)
  • Robb telling his mother that part of the reason he doesn't keep Grey Wind at his side any more is because the direwolves didn't save his little brothers from being killed by Theon :crying:
  • Rickon having the same dream as Bran about their father being dead.

But the saddest part for me was when I re-read AGOT and one of the Bran chapters after Cat has left, and it's just him, Robb, and Rickon. He's in his bed and Robb comes to see him. He's trying to perk him up. He says that one day they'll go and visit Jon at the Wall, just the two of them, and it will be an adventure, but Robb starts crying as if he knows it won't happen, and Bran dries his tear. :bawl: :crying:

Archived