Saddest moment in the books.

Lions-and-Roses

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I reread the epilogue for ADwD for memories and even though I hate Cersei to the core, and think she is thoroughly awful something she said really upset me.

Kevan Lannister said that his wife would not want to come to King's Landing because her place is in Casterly Rock. Cersei responds by saying "it is good for a woman to know her place." I just couldn't help but think about Robert's infidelity and sexual promiscuity that went totally unpunished, while Cersei's infidelities (AFTER her husband died) were met with extremely cruel punishment. Even though I think Cersei is a total sociopath, it pains me to see her (completely evil) ambitions crushed by such blatant discrimination.

• 3 months later...

Sansa at the Eyrie, missing the long summer of her childhood. It was snowing outside...

She had last seen snow the day she'd left Winterfell. That was a lighter fall than this, she remembered. Robb had melting flakes in his hair when he hugged me, and the snowball Arya tried to make kept coming apart in her hands. It hurt to remember how happy she had been that morning. Hullen had helped her mount, and she'd ridden out with snowflakes swirling around her, off to see the great wide world. I thought my song was beginning that day, but it was almost done.

The Eyrie was beautiful all covered in snow, but she thought,

I do not belong here.

She could feel the snow on her lashes, taste it on her lips. It was the taste of Winterfell. The taste of innocence. The taste of dreams.

She was out there alone reminiscing, and building a snow castle in the image of Winterfell. T'was a very touching scene, until Littlefinger ruined everything.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Ned's death seen by Arya in the third person, and it iwas so heartbreaking. But for me what made it even worse, is that he was a good man who did not deserve to say those lies in front of all those people. It still makes me so sad.

2) Tyrion. The show is great because you see Tyrion, & how fantastic he is. What I mean is that in the books, I found the physical pain he endures so difficult to read, + the emotional trauma too much.

But, I think that he will get the Iron Throne in the end.

3) The last thing Cat sees before she is killed, her oldest and who she thinks her last son, murdered by a sword going through him.

Catelyn's meal with Brienne at Riverrun when she recounts that Bran and Rickon have been killed. Heart wrenching. They took the best Catelyn scene in any book and removed it from the show when Theon killed the Ravens and took away her motivation for releasing the Kinglslayer making her much weaker. Hated the deletion of that scene for multiple reasons.

Many sad moments to choose from in a series packed with sadness and despair.

However im no parent but the moments around Cat and Robb finding out about the (non) Death of Bran and Rickon is just heartbreaking. Losing a son/brother is just so hard to fathom for me, and knowing how much the Starks loved one another (Cat and Jon excluded) just drove the point home for me.

Keeping in mind at the time of the read i to was fooled that Bran and Rickon were dead.

Archived