R+L=J v.19

Angalin

There is no exact date given for Jon's birth though I believe Martin has said it was around the time of the sack.

The only clue we have to Jon's age comes from the fact that Cat found it believable that Jon was fathered after she married Ned. We know she thinks that because she talks about Ned breaking his vows and it being understandable b/c they were strangers. Which means Jon was conceived around the time of Ned and Cat's wedding (because they conceived Robb before Ned took off again and Robb was born at Riverrun) and born around the same time as Robb give or take a month or so for the ruse to work.

I think GRRM was pretty specific about Dany being born 9 months after the sack of KL and Jon being born 9 months before her.

I think Cat's thoughts about Ned show how paranoid she was - Ned would have had to slept with someone just before their wedding night or within a few weeks of it. She thinks it's Ashara Dayne, and she was nowhere near Ned during that time. Starfall is a long way from Riverrun and Dayne wasn't at the wedding.

George has said that Jon was born 8 to 9 months or thereabouts before Daenerys. Combine this with other clues in the books, and we may infer that Jon was born around the Sack or up to a month after it.

Regarding when Ned returned to Winterfell, I recall that in one of Catelyn's chapters she states that she and Ned were only apart for a year. Assuming that she may be rounding up or down, I'd say Ned probably returned to Winterfell between three to six months after the Sack. I believe Jon arrived in Winterfell before Ned did, so I imagine that Ned sent him along to Winterfell while he made a pit stop in King's Landing to reconcile with Robert.

I believe Jon arrived in Winterfell before Ned did, so I imagine that Ned sent him along to Winterfell while he made a pit stop in King's Landing to reconcile with Robert.

Which might be yet another subtle hint - why split company and send the child to Winterfell, when he comfortably could have taken him to KL?

Archived